PlantFiles: Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Yellow Pear'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Yellow Pear
Additional cultivar information: (aka Beam's Yellow Pear)

» View all varieties of Tomatoes

Thumbnail #6 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by fishon4lb

By daisyavenue
Thumbnail #7 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by daisyavenue

Negative jmc1987 On Aug 2, 2013, jmc1987 from Cascade, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

Sorry to say that this one gets my thumbs down. The taste is pretty decent, however, every darned time i have tried to grow it, it performs pitifully. It always seems to be the first (and often only) one out of my different types of tomatoes to fall to a disease every year. I will be looking for a replacement for it next time.

Neutral vossner On Jun 21, 2013, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

In terms of flavor, this yellow cherry tomato should be rated NEGATIVE. However, it is a novelty item that is easy to grow, so perfect for involving a child with gardening. They will find the little gem irresistible for its looks and ease of growing. Let the kiddos grow the fun tomatoes and let Mom grow the good, tasty ones!

Negative Ltcolumbo On May 26, 2012, Ltcolumbo wrote:

I didn't like the flavor of those tomatoes, unpleasant consistency, low yield.

Positive austen2001 On May 17, 2012, austen2001 from Summit, SC wrote:

One of my favorite types; a wonderful little plant that produces tart, juicy tomatoes. Also a great space-saver.

Positive devildog2 On Nov 21, 2011, devildog2 from Humble, TX wrote:

I grow yellow pear tomatoes because when my son was little he'd beg me to stop at the vegetable stand and buy them. I have one plant which has sprawled out of its 45-gallon container and covers about 50 square feet of ground. It's loaded with tomatoes; I'm hoping that they ripen before we get a hard freeze. It has had nothing but rainwater and occasional watering during our string of 100-degree-plus summer days.

Negative beebonnet On Oct 26, 2011, beebonnet from Coos Bay, OR (Zone 9a) wrote:

I grew Beams Yellow Pear strain this year from a seed exchange because I thought it might be a better experience than the first time I tried it several years ago. But, NO!! Same old bland, mealy, yukky taste after waiting, and waiting and waiting for the ripe ones. Never again.

Positive BambooSue On Sep 20, 2011, BambooSue from Silver Spring, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

This tomato wants to take over the world. I had two growing in my Earthbox, and my balcony quickly became a jungle. It is extraordinarily vigorous and prolific. The canes would grow clear to the other side of the balcony if I hadn't cut them back brutally.

I even have one growing indoors in my sunny bedroom window (west-facing, 8 stories up). I shake it every now and then to pollinate, and it actually bears fruit. I made a makeshift trellis out of some packing material, and the plant has climbed 6 feet up to the very top of the ceiling and then curved back down. The shadows of the vines are quite lovely when the curtains are closed, and the plant smells nice. I'm eagerly waiting to see if I can wrangle a winter harvest out of this plant.

The flavor is sweet and mild, not as tomato-y as my grape tomatoes and not as super sweet as my Dr. Carolyn, but definitely not bland.

Negative compostuser On Sep 20, 2011, compostuser from Bremerton, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Because of my limited garden space, I'm sorry to say this will be that last year I plant this tomato. The taste is bland and mealy. I grew them for the unique "pear shape" fruits for my nephew and niece; however, they don't even enjoy eating them. I will replace this tomato with Chocolate Cherry.

Neutral Bazuhi On May 28, 2011, Bazuhi from Downers Grove, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

Ok.. taking the plunge based on a recommendation that this was a great, sweet tasting, low acid grape type tomato.. I started mine by seed 3/29/11 and they have just been put into the ground on 5/23/11..I started 9 plants, one never came up 2 are going into a friends garden and 6 are mine to keep. I will be caging them with my homemade tomato cages shortly once the weather dries up a bit.. Wish me luck! I made this a neutral since I do not know the outcome of how they will do, I do hope I can change it later in the year with how I really feel.

Positive muttlover On Apr 3, 2011, muttlover from Quincy, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

OK, it's not the best tasting tomato in the world. It's taste is "mild", and middle of the road - not particularly tangy and not particularly sweet. But this guy will go and go and go. When my other tomatoes decided to be divas, he jumped in and took up the slack. The shape and the color are interesting, esp. in salads where it adds a bit of sparkle to the bowl. And they get sweeter as they grow along, seem to be best when fully ripe. I'm planning on growing this again this year.

Positive MeroMero On Feb 22, 2011, MeroMero from San Antonio, TX wrote:

Wow, I guess soil and weather conditions really have a substantial impact on the final product. I've grown these little guys for several years now, and they are downright indestructible in our hot Texas summers. Prolific producer and vigorous grower, sharp acidic taste (which oddly reminds me of sharp cheddar cheese, but maybe that's just my imagination???) Delicious, reliable and novel. Also very easy to grow in containers as long as you are prepared for their size. I've always gone 100% organic in growing them, and have never had anything but fantastic results. They are a perennial favorite in my garden.

Positive sugarpine On Jan 11, 2011, sugarpine from San Jose, CA wrote:

This tomato was very good. The plants were very productive, and many liked the taste: sweet and mild. The fruits were very cute. I didn't care much for the flavor, but my friends and family loved it!

Positive Rocketgardener On Aug 31, 2010, Rocketgardener from Soddy Daisy, TN (Zone 7b) wrote:

Wonderful tomato! Bought three starts at the Huntsville Botanical Garden's Spring Pkant Sale. Everyone of them thrived in my Square Foot Garden.

Marvelous medium sweet taste. Not acidic. Meaty but not pulpy. Small seeds.

Love eating them off the vine while gardening. I keep a container of them by my computer at work to snack on.

Positive rwouhaybi On Mar 12, 2010, rwouhaybi from Portland, OR wrote:

I love those tomatoes. I grew one plant last year for the first time, it produced a lot of little tasty tomatoes. The flavour is not intense like a big heirloom but we ate them like candy, yum, growing them again.

Neutral hillary101 On Aug 17, 2009, hillary101 from Redding, CA wrote:

I'm was having the same problem as blaciris (the post on June 22nd 2009) except now the leaves and branches are turning yellow and then brown. The fruit is shriveling up as well. I have over 20 tomato plants, all different kinds, and none of the others are doing this. It's getting plenty of water, but we are in Redding CA where we get stretches of 105-112F weather so maybe just not good for the hotter climates? It's just weird how they droop and then start changing color?? All my plants are in raised beds and have been fed...I cut all the dead leaves and branches off hoping this would help but went out today & it's still happening. Anyone know what's going on? Would like to keep it, I like to put them in the mix for salads and they are a pretty little mater...

Positive soothemysoul On Aug 7, 2009, soothemysoul from Lanagan, MO wrote:

had never even heard of this plant before.... a week or so ago what i thought was our usual volunteer cherry tomatoes started fruiting and the shape was diff -- we kept an eye on them... noted the pear shape past few days... got online and googled... matched up photo with yellow pear tomatoe... have never planted this before... best guess is the mulch/compost we brought in this year or some little birdies.. we also had severe spring storms.. could have blown in .. who knows.. the plants are all healthy.. have them staked... about 6-61/2 feet tall... heavy with fruit... excited to see them turn yellow and taste them... we applied mushroom compost this year.. and so far it's really helped with flavor of our produce... and healthier plants and produce... there are 4 volunteer plants... a very nice surprise... part of what makes gardening so fun for me...

Neutral blaciris On Jun 22, 2009, blaciris from Athens, GA wrote:

This is the first year of my gardening and I have planted 2 yellow pear tomatoes. They grew really well at first, much faster than my other varieties, already flowering and bearing little tomatoes. However, a couple of weeks ago, the top foliage of one of the plants started to curled up, and gradually the curling developed to the top half of the plant. The leaves are still green and are not turning yellow or sick in any other way, just curling up. It's still flowering and growing and no bugs. It just does not look like soem disease. Lately the other yellow pear seems to start the same thing. I tried to water more but I dont' think the curling is due to lack of water. None of the other variety tomatoes in the same bed have this problem. Does anyone know what could be going on? I'm from South Georgia and the weather has been exceptionally hot and humid in the past month. (there have been a few days above 100F) And there are no shade in my garden so the tomatoes have been exposed to full sun and high heat everyday. Could this be the reason? If so, what can I do to help the plants? According to a few website I checked, it may also be caused by poor drainage of the soil. (There had been a few really bad thunderstorms that could have caused that.) If so, what could I do to loose the soil?

Positive pamsaplantin On May 28, 2009, pamsaplantin from Morgantown, WV (Zone 6a) wrote:

Wow! I had no idea anyone would dislike this little guy. It does taste different than other tomatoes but bland & watery??!!?? No, way! I love my tangy tomatoes, but this one is has its place in my heart, too. It is true that people who aren't usually crazy about tomatoes may be fond of the milder taste - my husband usually avoids tomatoes but liked this one. Also my neighbor usually has to limit how many tomatoes she eats because of the acid, but she could eat a whole bowl of these without consequence. And because it is so prolific I had plenty to share.

Negative tgraham On Apr 3, 2009, tgraham from Gresham, OR wrote:

Grew several plants of the yellow pear over the last few years with the same disappointing results. Mealy texture and bland taste. The only garden tomato I have ever grown or tasted and did not like. Will not make room in my garden for this again.

Positive dancingbear27 On Jan 25, 2009, dancingbear27 from Elba, NY (Zone 6a) wrote:

We loved these little tomatoes. They were VERY prolific. Tasty and beautiful in a salad or stir fry. Daughter loved eating them fresh out of the garden. This plant kept going when others were dying out at the end of the summer.

Negative lssfishhunter On Jan 14, 2009, lssfishhunter from Jonesville, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

The plants literally try to take over any plant near them. This variety produces tons of tiny tomatoes but the taste is bland. If you want a plant for young children, this one is the one to grow. However, you will give lots of tomatoes away because you can't eat them all and you really wouldn't want to.

Positive drivenbonkers On Mar 7, 2008, drivenbonkers from Perth,, ON (Zone 5a) wrote:

this one has been invited back to the garden for a couple years, and will be again this year. SWEET 1-2" long, bright yellow, mild tomato flavour, best warm from the vine.

Negative jajtiii On Feb 22, 2008, jajtiii from Richmond, VA (Zone 7b) wrote:

These tomatoes taste like a store brought tomato. Bad texture and the taste is very bland.

Positive kmom246 On Dec 4, 2007, kmom246 from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

I've had a really tough time getting tomatoes to set fruit when the day temps are in the tripple digits and the night temps are in the 50*F-60*F range. Although they did slow down a bit in the heat of the summer, they bounced back into full swing when the temps dropped to the upper 90*F range. To me, while they are sweet, they don't have as "tomato-y" a taste as other cherries - but they are still far superior to the average stuff at the store. And, both my todler granddaughter and my 16 year old son will eat them - neither of them would eat any of the other tomatoes this past season. Maybe it's just the yellow color, and maybe my son is just in the "eat everything in sight" stage, but it's pretty tough to fake out a todler with vegetables. So even though they may not be The Tomato, since they will survive and thrive in the high desert, I will edge them into the positive category. And they ARE cute. Cuteness counts :-)

Neutral DonShirer On Aug 26, 2007, DonShirer from Westbrook, CT (Zone 6a) wrote:

Cute but unexceptional taste.

Positive Hyblaean On Aug 5, 2007, Hyblaean from Niles, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

Initially I had this marked as a negative, but a few salads later, I find that it's actually quite good. I would definitely grow it again. It's just not an 'off the vine, snacking in the garden' kind of tomato. The flavor is very mellow and unlike any of the reds I planted this year, cherry or regular. It's got great substance when you are eating it with a good salad dressing- tastier in a salad than the other tomatoes which were so good in the garden. Which sounds odd, but the other people that I shared these guys with agree. It was the general favorite for salads, even being a yellow, which kind of put people off at first. Prolific, too!

Update September 13, 2007

Now that the season is over (this one really wanted to go into fall, but I wouldn't let it) I can say that this was the hands down favorite of all 6 varieties I grew. Every month they got better tasting--not sure if that was all in my head, but it's true.
Neutral Spriggin On Jun 18, 2007, Spriggin from Selma, OR wrote:

Rapid growth, great foliage, tons of beautiful tomatoes, but, sadly, very little taste. As I had a bumper crop I'm grateful that the horse liked them. Austin yellow pear is the variety I grew.

Neutral berrygirl On Mar 3, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Endless supply of 1 1/2" pear tomatoes with great taste, ideal for salads. Indeterminate, 70-80 days from transplant.

Positive MikeyJoe On Sep 12, 2006, MikeyJoe from Clarksville, IN wrote:

Wow, I never expected so much controversy over something as simple as Yellow Pears. I guess it is a perfect example of the fact that Tomato taste varies from person to person. I prefer dark Tomatoes with an earthy flavor and a friend of mine prefers the light colored Tomatoes. I guess that's why we have 10,000 varieties to choose from, so everyone can find a favorite.

I have grown Yellow Pears since I was a kid. And while I have seen photos of varieties that appear different, mine have always been the same regardless of where I got the seeds. I eat them from time to time and they taste fine to me considering that they are a yellow cherry. I have put baskets of cherries on the table at picnics and cookouts and the Yellow Pears usually get picked out and eaten first, so apparantly most people like them or they could be drawn to them due to the shape and color.

And yes they do offer prolific production. I have never counted before but I read once that one plant produced over 1,500 Tomatoes a couple of years ago. The only thing I don't like is the fact that the tend to crack easily.

Positive garden_mermaid On Aug 23, 2006, garden_mermaid from San Francisco Bay Area, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

We love the yellow pear tomato for it's sweet flavourful fruit. They rarely make it home as we eat most of them in the garden. One thing I have noticed about yellow pears - the fertilizer type makes a HUGE difference in the flavour of the fruit. My mom uses miracle grow and her yellow pear tomatoes are sweet with very little tomato taste. We garden organically and our plants have a very rich taste.

Positive BlackMamba On Jun 21, 2006, BlackMamba from La Jolla, CA wrote:

I really enjoyed this tomato. Grew over six ft. tall with prolific production. Tomato flavor was great in the strain I planted. It appears there are several strains of the yellow pear variety- perhaps this is where the differences in taste are coming in, some strains may be more bland than others. I got my plant from Bonnie plant farm- not sure which strain they are selling.

Neutral billy_wear On Jun 13, 2006, billy_wear from San Diego, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

I have lived in San Diego for just over a year now and would like to start to garden here. Growing these yellow pears for the first time and I'm a beginner gardener. I have six plants against the side of my 6 foot tall wooden fence.

Positive petit_potager On Mar 29, 2006, petit_potager wrote:

I must re-assess this heirloom more favorably.

I have grown several Yellow Pears including Beam’s Yellow Pear, and found that Victory Seed’s cultivar “Documented as a pre-1800 variety” - to be superior to others according to my growing conditions and taste preferences. It is slightly rounder and larger than Beam’s.

Putting to rest the claim, that Yellow Pear is for “non-gardeners” –

Of the 50-plus different heirloom tomatoes currently growing in my garden, Principe Borghese, a determinate Italian heirloom, and Yellow Pear are neck-in-neck this season for first ripe tomato. Both are Victory Seed.

The positive side of Yellow Pear’s subtle flavor is that it does not compete with sublime salad dressings, nor does it shout for attention in understated fare. Yellow Pear looks fabulous in summer soups such as yellow gazpacho, as well as in salads when placed next to a chiffonade of purple cabbage, or nasturtiums, or Zephirine Drouhin petals.

Yellow Pear performs for us 10 months of the year. We love its availability in January. To ramp up their flavor, they can be split, placed on a parchment lined baking sheet, drizzled with extra virgin olive oil, dusted with fresh ground peppers, sea salt, and left to bake at 150 degrees for several hours. This condenses their essence resulting is a burst of flavor that finds many new uses.

Negative eweed On Nov 4, 2005, eweed from Everson, WA (Zone 8a) wrote:

It is obvious to me that Daisyavenue and T Plant know what a tomatoe is supposd to taste like. I agree with both of them in their dislike of this tomatoe. So bland and watery and it will not be grown here again just to many other good choices to make.

Positive DrDoolotz On Jul 25, 2005, DrDoolotz from Oxford, NS (Zone 5b) wrote:

I really enjoy these tomatoes. Mine were grown from seed and were specifically called "Beam's Yellow Pear" from Seed Savers. The flavour is fabulous and sweet but with a good kick. They are best when really ripe on the vine - when a bit green, they're not as good. They are definitely prolific here in Iowa and produce fruit all season long.

Positive p_b_d On Jul 11, 2005, p_b_d from Washington, DC wrote:

I have grown this plant on and off (as per availability) for more than 35 years. I noticed that the people who do not like it are in zone 10, and most likely in sandy soil. I have done well and especially well with it when I have amended my clay soil with lots of poulty manure. The flavor of my tomatoes is terriffic but I do get some blossom end rot.
This was my favorite tomato to eat when I was a kid. Its flavor is mild but sweet and I think it is a great way to get kids who are otherwise picky eaters to enjoy tomatoes.
My only problem with this prolific bearer is they tend to split after a rain.

Positive Breezymeadow On Apr 10, 2005, Breezymeadow from Culpeper, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

Add me to the LOVE list for this little tomato.

Plants are better off caged rather than staked, as they are indeterminate & easily reach 6' or better in height. I grow mine in 5' to 5-1/2' welded wire cages, & even though they spill over the top a bit, that size cage seems to work fine.

Small (as in cherry-size) pear-shaped golden fruit is produced abundantly until cut down by hard frost, & I find the plants highly resistant to the viruses that can plague tomatoes towards the end of the season.

Yes, the fruit is very mild in taste, but for someone like myself who adores cooking & has done some catering, these cute little tomatoes make fabulous garnishes, make a nice contrast with red cherry tomatoes in salads, & make a lovely hors d'oeuvres when - along with regular red cherries - they're sliced in half & topped with a piping of creamy herbed cheese.

This variety - & I definitely AM a long-time hard-core gardener, thank you - will always have a place among the many heirloom tomato varieties I grow in my garden.

Negative Tplant On Apr 9, 2005, Tplant from Pembroke Pines, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

The taste leaves a lot to be desired. Fruit is beautiful and very abundant but I would classify this shrub and that is what it looks like, to be more of an ornamental than an edible. No comparison to our cherry or grape tomatoes. The saving grace to this tomato is its color and shape.

Positive JuBabe On Sep 18, 2004, JuBabe from Midland, TX (Zone 7b) wrote:

I remember my great-grandmother growing yellow pear tomatoes in Ballinger, Texas. I can still see her using her apron like a basket when she picked them. They are beautiful in a salad mixed with some red tomatoes!

Positive Kachinagirl On Aug 6, 2004, Kachinagirl from Modesto, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Great tomato, favorite for my kids and also one of the choice ingredients for my green chile salsa!

Negative daisyavenue On Aug 5, 2004, daisyavenue from Long Beach, CA (Zone 10b) wrote:

Little did I realize that when I wrote a rave review of these as "great little tomatoes for salads and salsa", that it was the abundance of yellow pears that I was writing about and not the actual quality. They are great to add to a salad for color if you add real tomatoes with actual flavor. They are great show plants that appeal to non-gardeners sensibilities. And I am not being harsh. These are not going into our garden again.

Positive Wingnut On Jun 16, 2004, Wingnut from Spicewood, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

LOVE it! This is one I eat fresh, usually while right there working in the garden. Beautiful fruit, gorgeous color.

Positive glenshesk On Aug 2, 2003, glenshesk from Mesa, AZ (Zone 10a) wrote:

This tomato has been bearing delicious fruit from May to August and is still going here in Arizona.

Positive tomato_lady On Mar 29, 2003, tomato_lady from Crossville, TN (Zone 6a) wrote:

I love this little tomato! The vines are beautiful when trained on a trellis or over a fence. The fruits have a delicate sweet taste.

I use them primarily for summer tarts and salads. But they also can beautifully (if you have the patience to do so). They also make a wonderful sweet pie filling, and can be processed and used like apricots.

Neutral TomatoCarl On Sep 12, 2002, TomatoCarl wrote:

Love it or hate it, this is the same tomato your grandpa use to grow. It is very meaty and very prolific.

Washington D.c.,
Oceanside, California
Redwood City, California
Ridgemark, California
Round Valley, California
San Diego, California (2 reports)
Santa Barbara, California
Crossville, Tennessee
Germantown, Tennessee
Lakesite, Tennessee
Atascocita, Texas
Austin, Texas (2 reports)
Briarcliff, Texas