PlantFiles: Crinum Lily
Crinum angustifolium

Family: Amaryllidaceae (am-uh-ril-id-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Crinum (KRY-num) (Info)
Species: angustifolium (an-gus-tee-FOH-lee-um) (Info)

Synonym:Crinum asiatica

Bulbs
Ponds and Aquatics

Blue-Green

Very high moisture needs; suitable for bogs and water gardens

By Abutilon

Thumbnail #6 of Crinum angustifolium by katrina_jungle

By timrann
Thumbnail #7 of Crinum angustifolium by timrann

Neutral krakomako On Dec 2, 2013, krakomako from Jacksonville, FL wrote:

I have a,Grand Lilly, which I am looking after (apartment area). I was happy to see this bloom,with its white flower stems. I think I made a bad mistake trying to rejuvenate the flower once it started withering. I cut the stem off completely hoping it would grow back and produce another bloom! But no luck, any assistance to correct error would be appreciated. As soon as I have loaded my camera roll to my Kindle I will post a pix of it.

AL

Positive carltipp On May 9, 2004, carltipp from Phoenix, AZ wrote:

I have an Angustifolium (along with the bronze leafed Amabile and a dwarf hybrid named "Mystery") growing in my front hard in Phoenix, AZ.

The Angustifolium was given to me by a friends stepfather about 4 years ago. I have no idea how old the plant is, but when I planted it, the bulb was about 12" wide with a weight of about 15 lbs. He had it planeted, along with about 5 others, in a brick planter against his house, facing south, in full sun, and getting lots of reflected heat from his block home. All his plants were large and healthy looking.

You could not imagine my delight to see this plant growing in Phoenix! I am a South Florida native, and enjoyed these plants while growing up in that wonderfully humid climate! So I had to get more, so...it was off to e-bay I went!

My Angustifolium has produced flowers every year in late April/early May since I planted it. Two years ago, it produced two off-sets followed by two more off-sets last year. I just noticed today that another off-set has broken the grounds surface.

The plants are also on the south side of my house, however, they receive some shade in mid morning, and a bit heavier shade in the late afternoon. (I figured they would do much better in our devastatingly hot summer months if they didn't have to endure the scorching sun.)

I do not water any more then any of my other flowering plants. I do, however, have flood irrigation. (A Phoenix oddity that took me a while to get use too. The first time I saw a neighborhood that had irrigation, I thought the water main had burst!) My yard is flooded to a depth of about 6" every 2 weeks in the summer, and every 4 weeks in the winter. I imagine this would simulate the heavy down pours of the tropics. I do fertilize the bulbs every few months with a good quality bulb food to supplement the poor Arizona soil.

I would be nice to see if anyone else in southern Arizona has had the same experience I have had with these wonderful plants.

Positive CannaGrwr On Jun 8, 2003, CannaGrwr wrote:

I have the GIANT of giants in crinums of this variety, leafs up to 8' and bulbs that can weigh up to 50lbs and flower heads that contain up to 100 flowers per flower stem.
I only have the 2 bulbs that I bought over 10 years ago and they are now 4' tall so far. The flowers are very fragrant, and spidery looking.

Positive Abutilon On Jul 31, 2002, Abutilon from Coal Center, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

Wonderfully fragrant heirloom crinum from an old South Carolina garden. Delicate spidery flowers.

Fort Pierce, Florida
Lecanto, Florida
Ocala, Florida
Pinellas Park, Florida
Sarasota, Florida (2 reports)
West Palm Beach, Florida