Potato 'Kennebec'

Solanum tuberosum

Genus: Solanum (so-LAN-num) (Info)
Species: tuberosum (too-ber-OH-sum) (Info)
Cultivar: Kennebec

La Follette, Tennessee

Wytheville, Virginia

North Freedom, Wisconsin

On Jul 20, 2013, hopflower from Santa Rosa, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

This is a wonderful main crop potato. Reminiscent of old-fashioned earthiness, the potato is white with a golden tan skin soft when new, and then the skins are a bit thicker and harder as they keep. First grown in 1948, they are a firmly popular addition to the garden. The plant has a high and dependable yield of large potatoes, and it resists blight and other diseases well, and the potatoes winter for a long storage time.They can be prepared many ways, but mashed is my favourite way to make them; with plenty of butter, of course. The Russets from the grocery store pale in comparison!

On Jul 31, 2012, idealpeggy from Lexington, KY (Zone 6b) wrote:

We LOVED this potato! My husband said it's the best he's ever had. I grew one in a potato bag, and we're going to do more bags next year. The skins are really thin, and the "meat" is just luscious! You can't go wrong with this one!

On Apr 20, 2006, kennebecsue from Waterville, ME wrote:

I have grown this potato in my backyard garden here in the Kennebec Valley in Maine. I chose this potato out of many varieties of white potatoes because of the name. I grew up on the banks of the Kennebec River. It turned out to be a very nice white potato that grows well in my heavy soil.

On Jun 15, 2005, Gindee77 from Hampton, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

A wonderful white potato. It's very prolific and generous. It does pretty well in our clay soil.

On Aug 10, 2004, Big_Red from Bethelridge, KY (Zone 6a) wrote:

A favorite in New England, my Dad raised them every year, as did my Grandfather before him.

They did very well for me this year (2004) in Kentucky, very good yields, firm, moist potatoes. Highly recommend.

On Mar 7, 2004, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Kennebec has been the most popular midseason potato in both Virginia and Georgia over the past 30 years. Georgia at least middle and south is not prime potato growing country. Our feed and seeds only carry red potatoes (Pontiac) and white potatoes ( kennebec). Locals just ask for red or white potatoes. Kennebec yields well under a variety of conditions. It is a moderately elongated potato with sufficient size to bake, but is equally good in boiled or fried potato dishes. Since my major use of home grown potatoes is as "new" potatoes, I prefer an earlier variety, but one makes do with what is available.