PlantFiles: Potato
Solanum tuberosum 'Red Pontiac'

Genus: Solanum (so-LAN-num) (Info)
Species: tuberosum (too-ber-OH-sum) (Info)
Cultivar: Red Pontiac
Additional cultivar information: (aka Dakota Chief)

» View all varieties of Potatoes

Thumbnail #5 of Solanum tuberosum by TuttiFrutti

Thumbnail #6 of Solanum tuberosum by TuttiFrutti

Thumbnail #7 of Solanum tuberosum by TuttiFrutti

Positive luciee On Feb 24, 2011, luciee from Hanceville, AL (Zone 7a) wrote:

Back when we were young and could stand the heat of picking up potatoes in July in the south, this is the one we grew. Red potatoes can be boiled in the skin for potato salad and they don't mush up like cobblers or russet types do. If I were going to plant potatoes and could not get red pontiac, I would not plant potatoes.

Neutral faries On May 17, 2010, faries from cincinnati
United States wrote:

i was wanting to grow this potato in stacked tires does anyone know how to do this thank you

Positive kyle_and_erika On Jun 9, 2006, kyle_and_erika from Batesville, AR wrote:

We grow a row or two of red pontiac most years. The yeild is good and so is the taste - my favorite. My only complaint is that they dont keep well, at least not for me.

Positive Gabrielle On Apr 27, 2006, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

I have grown Pontiac for several years. One year I got over 100 lbs. from just a couple of medium sized seed potatoes! I really recommend it for people with limited garden space.

Positive Gindee77 On Jun 15, 2005, Gindee77 from Hampton, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is a great boiling potato. It's pretty generous and healthy and grows well in our clay soil.

Positive TuttiFrutti On May 4, 2005, TuttiFrutti from Spokane Valley, WA (Zone 5b) wrote:

We're growing Red Pontiacs for the first time this year. Based on strong recommendations from our neighbors, and the yield we observed from their crop last year, I doubt we'll be disappointed. :)

Updated 10.02.2005:
The 1.5 pounds of seed potatoes we planted in the spring gave us 77 pounds at harvest time; about 8 pounds per plant. Not bad for a first year.

Positive Farmerdill On Mar 7, 2004, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Pontiac is the best all purpose red potato that I have grown as it performs well in the south. the tubers are not as large as the Kennebec but yield is as good or better. The Red Norland is earlier, but much more suceptible to disease. Pontiac is the only red Irish potato
seed stock available locally.

Colony, Alabama