Potato
Solanum tuberosum 'Yellow Finn'

Genus: Solanum (so-LAN-num) (Info)
Species: tuberosum (too-ber-OH-sum) (Info)
Cultivar: Yellow Finn

Waxy (salad)

Hercules, California

Waller, Washington

On Aug 24, 2011, muddwife from Waller, WA wrote:

These are a moist, yellow fleshed potato known for not needing butter because of its rich taste. Here is an interesting bit of my family history. My great, great grandfather went back to visit family in Finland in the mid 1900's. While visiting a university in Helsinki, he swiped half a dozen, or so, yellow finn potatoes that the university was experimenting on and smuggled them back into the U.S. He planted them on his farm on the Chehalis River in Montesano, WA, where they became a well known cultivar in the region.

On Feb 12, 2006, sagewoodfarm from Benton City, WA (Zone 6a) wrote:

I live in Washington State and this potatoe was one of the first home growns ones I tasted. Truely wonderful, causing me to grow my own from now on. This potato has an unusual pear shape (large flattened oval), deep yellow-tan skin and waxy yellow flesh. The taste is natural butter-like, and is good boiled, baked, fried or included in soups. This excellent keeper needs the lush, long season of the maritime Northwest to really perform. With even moisture, it will continue to yield until frost kills. This potato is the #1 yellow, our best-selling late season variety. I must add that now I live on the Eastside of the state and have not tried it over here. It is much hotter and drier over here, but on the Westside of the mountians, it does wonderful.