PlantFiles: Potato
Solanum tuberosum 'Yukon Gold'

Genus: Solanum (so-LAN-num) (Info)
Species: tuberosum (too-ber-OH-sum) (Info)
Cultivar: Yukon Gold

By carminator1
Thumbnail #6 of Solanum tuberosum by carminator1

By Farmerdill
Thumbnail #7 of Solanum tuberosum by Farmerdill

Positive hendersonfarmer On Jun 24, 2011, hendersonfarmer from Henderson, NV wrote:

this plant is doing very well in my area(las vegas,nv). That is until the heat started. It doesen't handle hundred degree temp very well.

Positive gardeningfun On Apr 27, 2010, gardeningfun from Harpersfield, OH (Zone 5a) wrote:

Outstanding fryer! This potato is best served boiled or baked. It can be served mashed. Yukon Gold has medium-early maturity. Super yields in quantities similar to Russet Burbank. Gold flesh has a nutty flavor. Grows upright, resists mild mosaic virus.

Positive ducktrapper On Jul 17, 2009, ducktrapper from Grantsburg, WI wrote:

Good yields, no scabs (in a plot where other potato varieties sometimes have a problem). Large tubers, plants can be grown very close together. Sets true potato seed (TPS). I have not tried growing any of it out yet. We host relatives from both sides of our family at Thanksgiving in rural Wisconsin, and mashed Yukons have become a requested tradition

Positive dreamingflowers On May 4, 2008, dreamingflowers from WayupNorth, MN (Zone 3a) wrote:

One of my favorites- I am so glad I have a few left that went to seed and I hope I have more luck with them this year. I have worked my clay soil- so if I can grow nice ones, anyone can. Some of mine were huge. Beautiful and clean smooth skin-very flavorful.

Positive QCHammy On Feb 25, 2008, QCHammy from San Tan Valley, AZ (Zone 9a) wrote:

The last few in the bag I bought at the grocery store started to go bad. I threw them in the compost pile. This was in Oct. About 3 weeks later they began to send up shoots. Continued to throw my garden waste around them being sure not to smother them, watered about once or twice a week and they thrived. I'm sure they loved the compost. Unfortunately, a frost in Dec. killed them before they had a chance to mature. Still got some fantastic "new" potatoes. Very flavorful and great texture and color.

Neutral berrygirl On Mar 2, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

A favorite among gardeners, consumers and chefs. Bred and selected by AgCanada and the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture in 1966. Excellent producer and a great keeper. 80-90 days.

Positive kadawn74 On Jul 29, 2004, kadawn74 from Portland, OR (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is amazingly easy to grow, and I dug up my first new baby potatoes about 4 weeks after planting (just a few to taste). I bought the potatoes with eyes from a local nursery, cut them into pieces (with an eye on each piece) and 3 potatoes have turned into about 12 plants that are currently overgrowing my tiny backyard garden. They receive only an hour of sun in the morning, and two hours of afternoon sun, but are still flourishing. Since tasting my first Yukon Gold, I have never bought another kind!! They have a great texture, add a wonderful flavor to potato salad, and make the sweetest BEST flavored mashed potatoes ever!!

Positive Farmerdill On Mar 8, 2004, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Yukon Gold was an excellent producer in southwest Virginia. It is also an excellent all purpose potato.

Positive BURKS On Mar 7, 2003, BURKS wrote:

I Grow Yukon Gold in ZONE 4A Burk's Falls,Ontario, Canada Yield Approx 5-6 Bushels for 260 Ft of Row, I plant May 15-May 20 harvest Aug 10 - Oct 10, Apply Fungusaide 4-5 times
during season - Store well until Mid April