Two-row Stonecrop 'Dragon's Blood'

Sedum spurium

Family: Crassulaceae (krass-yoo-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Sedum (SEE-dum) (Info)
Species: spurium (SPUR-ee-um) (Info)
Cultivar: Dragon's Blood
Additional cultivar information:(aka Schorbuser Blut)

Alpines and Rock Gardens

Crofton, Maryland

Dearborn Heights, Michigan

Garden City, Michigan

Pinconning, Michigan

Royal Oak, Michigan (2 reports)

Isle, Minnesota

Newell, West Virginia

South Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Casper, Wyoming

On Apr 18, 2012, DallasNative from Garland, TX wrote:

I just recently planted this in my garden in Garland, TX. So far, it's doing great!! I ordered it from an online nursery and didn't realize it was a ground cover. I'm new to doing much gardening, other than planting bulbs and containers of flowers, so I thought I had some strange weeds. After pulling a bunch up, I got to wondering. So, I got online, found this site and learned about my mistake. Luckily it grows fast so I'm hoping it will be forgiving and fill back in. It's planted in full sun and has been planted for three weeks now.

On Jan 5, 2011, wynswid from Garland, TX wrote:

Has anyone raised this from seed? Please tell me about it. Also, how does it do in North Texas full sun?
Thank you.

On Dec 6, 2010, Alexwtf_93 from Susanville, CA wrote:

impossible to kill, anyone can grow this, it gets red/pink flowers which i like, most other sedums i grow are white or yellow

On Dec 9, 2009, dparsons01 from Albuquerque, NM (Zone 7b) wrote:

Of the various varieties of Sedum spurium, this is not the most robust in the high desert in Albuquerque, NM. Nice plant, just not my 1st choice.

On Oct 12, 2009, weedsfree from Magna, UT (Zone 7a) wrote:

I have been trying to get stuff to grow under my pines, and this year was the sedums turn. It is doing very well. One even rebloomed. I am excited to put more under those trees.

On May 27, 2008, Malus2006 from Coon Rapids, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

This sedum works well in combination with Kamschatca Stonecrop which have greener leaves and yellow flowers for me. Dragon Blood is rated partial shade. Dragon Blood Sedum would works well in the Eastern United States - it can shrug off heavy snow cover, heavy rains, cold winters, and hot summers.

On Mar 21, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Love this ground-hugging sedum. It is absolutely care-free, which I really like! Stays evergreen for me in my zone.

SEDUM spurium Dragon's Blood - Short - Plant 10" apart. Brilliant red flowers in the summer. Dense green low foliage is tinged wine red.

General Information:
Good for hot dry spots, groundcover, best selection for the coldest areas.

On May 10, 2006, hoomau from Metamora, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

Grows quickly; easily divided. Tolerates my terrible clay, saline soil (from winter de-icing) right next to the road.

On Aug 29, 2005, Scorpioangel from Gold Hill, OR (Zone 7a) wrote:

I have heard that this variety has been in cultivation for over 100 years. Very hardy. Wonderful for a container.

On Aug 17, 2005, Weezingreens from Seward, AK (Zone 3b) wrote:

Dragon's Blood combines the best of perennial attributes.. a lovely bloom and interesting foliage. Even before mine blooms in early August, the foliage begins taking on that rosy hue. Like most sedum, it roots easily from stem cuttings.

On Jun 6, 2005, PurplePansies from Deal, NJ (Zone 7a) wrote:

A REALLY nice little sedum. I'm not a fan of the tall sedums (like autumn joy) but tend to like the short (ground cover type) ones. This one is one of the best. Lush green leaves throughout spring and summer untill they turn a sort of red bronze..... sparse yellow flowers in spring. Almost evergreen. I great ground cover in well drained mostly sunny areas. Like many sedums.... short ones included.... easy to grow.

On Aug 23, 2004, tulip523 from Hackettstown, NJ (Zone 6a) wrote:

I really enjoy how this plant looks next to my other plants because of the beautiful burgandy and green color it is. Mine receives morning sun yet it seems to be enough for it to get a brillant color and I like the cascading effect. Very easy to grow from soft cuttings.

On May 17, 2004, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

This sedum tends to be darker red in the sun and more green-ish in the shade. Beautiful either way.

On Nov 4, 2003, wnstarr from Puyallup, WA (Zone 5a) wrote:

'Dragon's Blood' has dark burgandy/bronze foliage, with large clusters of red flowers. I personally find them very attractive. Plant's growth habit is cascading - great for rockeries or in pots to soften the edges. Great companion to other sedums and succulents in a combintation pot.

On May 24, 2003, kmjacobson from Sturgis, SD wrote:

Transplants readily, often rooting from broken branches and fallen leaves. I started with a small container of this plant and after 3 years it now covers two areas about 6 feet by 2 feet. I have been keeping it contained around the border of a garden and use the parts I trim off to expand the area.

Grows easily, excellent ground cover and wonderful texture.