Hardy Water Lily, Waterlily 'Attraction'

Family: Nymphaeaceae (nim-fee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Nymphaea (NIM-fee-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Attraction
» View all varieties of Waterlilies

Very high moisture needs; suitable for bogs and water gardens

Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Spicewood, Texas

Warren, Vermont

Puyallup, Washington

On Aug 12, 2012, FountainMan from McKinney, TX wrote:

Got this water lily from Lowes a few years ago and about a year and a half ago I propagated and now have 2 and I must say these do well. My pond isn't very deep around 18" and 6' x 8' in Texas so you can imaging durring summer months the water gets pretty warm but these do well. In spring is when I see flowers. I'm thinking I would see more had I made my pond deeper and water would have probably been cooler and less stressfull on the plant which is a challenge in the summer months. But these keep pushing up new foliage and really make the pond look nice. As said before in other reviews don't expect a brilliant red but more of washed out pink. Not a huge deal. It's still a nice plant to have in any pond.

On Jan 10, 2012, Nadezda from (Zone 5a) wrote:

I bought this sort of water lily boxed in a basket from OBI, very expensive.
I thought it was an Alba lily, as it was labeled A surprise! 'Attraction'! The lily blooms, every 4-5 days comes new bloom.
In winter we put all our nymphaeas dipper in the water, under the ice. Although these water lilies are for 4-5 zones, they can't stay frosen in the ice.

On Dec 29, 2004, lmelling from Ithaca, NY (Zone 5b) wrote:

I purchased my 'Attraction' waterlily from a Chase Pitkin in one of those overcrowded 6" pots they cram into their "pond." I didn't expect much but this little gem really proved to be one of the most prolific and dependable bloomers in my pond. Very hardy and easy to work with. I've only had to repot once in 3 years (this spring) and each of the 3 tubers I repotted took off. The picture I posted is of the larger tuber, repotted in spring - the picture was taken in September and shows three beautiful blooms with lots of pad growth.

The only care is to give these plants a tab of fertilizer in spring and stand back! At the onset of cool weather, I cut the foliage and flowers back to pot level and sink the pot to the bottom of the pond (about 2' depth).

One... read more

On Jun 15, 2004, Wingnut from Spicewood, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I bought eight of those "water plant boxed sets" from Walmart on sale, supposedly with an Attraction and an Alba lily in each. Half of the ones labeled 'Attraction' were white, but the other half were the gorgeous hot pinky red of Attraction!

I wasn't ready for how large this one gets, so had to buy an 8' diameter horse watering trough to put them in ~ and they're STILL overcrowded! LOL! Every single sick little tuber I potted is now a massive, lily with a 4+ foot spread. It's only been about 2 months, but I've gotten blooms from every single one, many multiple blooms.

I potted them in a regular gallon plastic nursery pot with plastic bags in the bottom to cover the holes, then regular sandy loam from my hay field, a 1 inch section of a fruit tree spike a... read more

On May 31, 2004, wnstarr from Puyallup, WA (Zone 5a) wrote:

This water lily is sold and described as being red. It is a long stretch of the imagination to call this washed out pink a red. And they can't say it has faded from the sunshine, we don't get enough sunshine to fade even a blue flower. Otherwise it is a dependable blooming waterlily, just don't expect it to be "red".

On Jul 15, 2003, NestEggFarms from Alachua, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

There are 26-28 petals per bloom & flowers are deep garnet-red. May wilt in extreme heat & is subject to crown rot. Plant spread is 4-5 ft