PlantFiles: Hardy Water Lily, Waterlily
Nymphaea 'Mayla'

Family: Nymphaeaceae (nim-fee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Nymphaea (NIM-fee-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Mayla

» View all varieties of Waterlilies

Fuchsia (Red-Purple)

Mottled

Very high moisture needs; suitable for bogs and water gardens

By SabraKhan

Thumbnail #5 of Nymphaea  by growin

By wagtail
Thumbnail #6 of Nymphaea  by wagtail

Neutral wagtail On Mar 12, 2013, wagtail from DENVILLE, NJ (Zone 6a) wrote:

Didn't care for the gaudy color nor puffy flower. Not for me. Prefer the more delicate-looking flowers. To each his opwn. Not as profuse a bloomer as other hardies in my experience either. Maybe I'll try it again some day.

Positive hekdek On Jun 26, 2010, hekdek from Columbus, OH wrote:

Just bought this lily in the spring and the blooms that have started are beautiful, The copper colored leaves are an unusual addition to the pond as well. Very virbant for a hardy lily.

Positive PinetopPlanter On Jul 16, 2009, PinetopPlanter from Auburn Four Corners, PA (Zone 5a) wrote:

This plant is a must have for anyone interested in growing hardy waterlilies . . . unless you don't like bright pink.

It is hardy . . . mine has been in an earth-bottom pond (approx. 1/4 acre in size) for over 3 years now and, under the ice level, it has survive -20 degrees F. It is rarely without bloom -- usually two at a time. Although not aggressive, it has formed a nice clump, from which I have taken rhizome cuttings and placed in other locations around the pond.

The color is out of this world. Deep rose red, or shocking pink, it stands out from far away. If this variety was rare or a slow multiplier, I'm sure it would command a high price. In my opinion, it leaves many other pink and red varieties in the dust. I wish I could pull my other pink and replace it with this one!

Highly recommended. If you can fit only one hardy pink waterlily in your pond, this is the one.

Positive SabraKhan On Sep 8, 2005, SabraKhan from Tiverton, RI (Zone 6b) wrote:

I've been growing the hardy water lily 'Mayla' for 3 years now. Every Fall I dig out the rhisomes to store over Winter in my cellar. I am always amazed at the huge size the rhisomes have taken on by the end of the season. I keep a couple of large pieces to pack in damp sand for next season and have to give away the rest. It is THAT vigorous! It is the first and last to bloom and is practically ALWAYS in flower. HUGE flowers of a shocking pink/magenta color, nice scent and loads of large glossy dark green pads. Very highly recommended!

Keithville, Louisiana