Tropical Water Lily, Waterlily
Nymphaea 'Nora'

Family: Nymphaeaceae (nim-fee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Nymphaea (NIM-fee-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Nora
» View all varieties of Waterlilies

Medium Blue

Very high moisture needs; suitable for bogs and water gardens

Hartsville, South Carolina

On Sep 12, 2011, harper97 from Pelham, NH wrote:

This is a wonderful tropical lily. I've had it for years, overwintering it under lights indoors (zone 5 NH). It's a little late to bloom compared with buying a new plant, but I love just keeping it going from year to year. This past March the plants looked like they might not make it in my basement, so I popped them into a well-lighted aquarium and they took off, even setting some buds before going outside. I kept one small plant in the aquarium, and it now has 2 buds (early Sept.) I didn't know they could bloom in an aquarium! I look forward to seeing the vivid blue indoors all winter, and savoring the delicious fragrance.

Since I live in a cold climate I mostly grow hardy lilies, but there are no blue hardies. Nora is the best blue in my opinion, and the only trop... read more

On Aug 15, 2003, NestEggFarms from Alachua, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

Bluish-purple blooms surrounded by varigated leaves. Requires full to partial sun and has a small to medium spread that makes it great for small ponds or tubs as well as large ponds. This tropical is also viviparous.