Pasque Flower
Pulsatilla vulgaris

Family: Ranunculaceae (ra-nun-kew-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Pulsatilla (pul-sa-TIL-uh) (Info)
Species: vulgaris (vul-GAIR-iss) (Info)
Synonym:Anemone pulsatilla
Synonym:Anemone serotina

Purple

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

From seed; stratify if sowing indoors

Anchor Point, Alaska

Vancouver, Washington

Porterfield, Wisconsin

Stoughton, Wisconsin

On Feb 25, 2015, jjstatz29 from Elk Horn, IA (Zone 5b) wrote:

This plant is available from prairie moon nursery [HYPERLINK@www.prairiemoon.com]

On May 7, 2013, kmm44 from Dayton, OH wrote:

I bought this plant at a local plant sale 3 yrs ago. It has thrived in a front yard bed with northern exposure. The color is a lovely dusty rose and blooms for several weeks. I amended the soil with compost/manure at planting and don't do much else but water when needed.
When it gets big enough to divide, I will take some up to the lake house, an hour north of Dayton, and try it there. It should be fine.

On Apr 10, 2010, indigobeej from Sullivan, NH wrote:

I can't believe it. I have had these wonderful soft furry plants in my garden for years and they are my favorite plants. I simply love them. But this year I noticed that they weren't up yet and went to investigate and found that where their long tap roots were, there are now deep holes! Something ate their roots! They are all gone. I really didn't think that anything ate these plants. I just have to hope that some of the seeds I planted last fall start to come up. Or I'll wait a few years and buy more...
Bummer.

On Jun 27, 2009, art_n_garden from Colorado Springs, CO (Zone 6a) wrote:

I adore this plant - it is literally the first thing up in the spring with the pulmonarias. It blooms seemingly straight out of the ground, with no leaves - just fuzzy blooms.
Mine is in bright morning sun until about noon and seems to thrive and persist through our variable winters.

On Jun 3, 2009, Erutuon from Minneapolis, MN wrote:

This is a European species. The one native in North America is Pulsatilla (or Anemone) patens.

On Mar 6, 2007, picante from Helena, MT (Zone 4b) wrote:

Pasque flowers are native to this area. We go out looking for them around Easter -- a very welcome sign of spring!

On May 22, 2005, cinemike from CREZIERES
France (Zone 8a) wrote:

I love pulsatillas, and I would suggest that this is the most beautiful 'vulgaris' in the whole plant kingdom.
Belfast is (more than) a bit wet for them, but I have nursed a few through from seed and am starting to get the lovely flowers.
No self-respecting garden should be without one!

On Apr 23, 2005, lmelling from Ithaca, NY (Zone 5b) wrote:

I planted these in 1997 and enjoyed this plant year after year each early spring when it bloomed. I had it planted in heavy clay soil on a small "bump"in one of my hillside gardens. It did well, enlarging slightly each year until we started having excessively wet years - several in a row, where the ground has never gotten a chance to really dry out. As of this year (2005) the clump has almost disappeared.

On Apr 22, 2005, rainycz from Newark, DE (Zone 7a) wrote:

I grow this in full sun, western exposure in fairly heavy (clay-based) soil. It seems to like the hot, dry location.

On Jul 17, 2004, Karenn from Mount Prospect, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

I love this perennial - two or three of the hybrids have white flowers - I happen to have one of them, along with the standard purple one and the "rubra" which is a purplish-red. It blooms in spring along with hyacinths, etc. But what really stands out about this plant is the fine-textured foliage; also the very feathery seed heads (looking almost like dandelions) last for several weeks. When seed heads strt to fade, you can cut back the foliage - it will grow a fresh "crop" of the beautiful foliage, which then looks great all summer! It prefers moist, well-drained (what plant doesn't?!) soil in part sun - mine multiply on the east side of my home.

On Jul 15, 2004, shortcm from Wilmington, DE (Zone 7b) wrote:

I love this little plant. It's at the northwest base of my floribunda rose and japanese maples bushes, so it gets partial shade. It has a pleasing domed shape, so I keep surrounding plants from crowding it. Purple flowers, nut the foliage is also beautiful.

On Jun 17, 2001, poppysue from Westbrook, ME (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is low growing plant has nodding lavender purple blooms with bright golden stamens and it is suitable for rock gardens or the front of the perennial border. The foliage is deeply divided and covered with soft silvery hairs. They are quite drought tolerant once established and prefer a sunny location with well-drained soil. An added bonus is the attractive seed heads that remain on the plant for several weeks after the plants have finished blooming.

Cultivars in red, white , and pink may also be available at garden centers.