PlantFiles: Tropical Day-Blooming Water Lily
Nymphaea 'Pink Capensis'

Family: Nymphaeaceae (nim-fee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Nymphaea (NIM-fee-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Pink Capensis

» View all varieties of Waterlilies

Magenta (Pink-Purple)
Fuchsia (Red-Purple)

Very high moisture needs; suitable for bogs and water gardens

By NestEggFarms
Thumbnail #1 of Nymphaea  by NestEggFarms

Positive visualgardener On Sep 22, 2010, visualgardener from Frederick, MD (Zone 6b) wrote:

A story with this one: A small rhizome, about the size of a golf ball, with a sad, 1/2" leaf was returned through the mail to Lilypons, where I work. Being of a rescuer mentality, I took the little thing home and began to nurse it back, the last week of April. Its first leaves were up and at the surface two weeks later (it was an early spring for water gardening, unusually warm). Another two weeks, and the leaves were getting pretty big (about 8") and the first buds were coming up.

The plant flowered non-stop, with at least two flowers on the water at all times, from May until our first hard frost, in early October. I was positively astounded. At its grandest, it had four blossoms on the water, was taking up a 4' round area with pads that were ruffled on the edges, and all this getting only 5 hours of sun and the standard dose of fertilizer (it was my second year -- I wasn't into "overdoing" the fertilizer yet, though goodness knows how big this would be if I had) AND in a tiny pot -- only 7 quarts.

It was pure serendipity that I took this one home. It was the best tropical I ever grew, and I'd recommend it to anyone who wants an easy, showy tropical for thier pond.

Ormond Beach, Florida