Devil's Ivy, Golden Pothos, Centipede Vine
Epipremnum aureum

Family: Araceae (a-RAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Epipremnum (ep-ih-PREM-num) (Info)
Species: aureum (AW-re-um) (Info)
Synonym:Pothos aureus
Synonym:Scindapsus aureus

Inconspicuous/none

Variegated

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

By air layering

Brooksville, Florida

Daytona Beach, Florida

Grant, Florida

Inverness, Florida

Jacksonville, Florida (2 reports)

Lakeland, Florida

Lutz, Florida

Miami, Florida (2 reports)

North Port, Florida

Ocala, Florida

Pensacola, Florida

Pompano Beach, Florida

Saint Cloud, Florida

Saint Petersburg, Florida (2 reports)

Sebring, Florida

Mcallen, Texas

Spring Branch, Texas

Salt Lake City, Utah

On Nov 24, 2014, kingpalm61 from Warren, MI wrote:

This plant was given to us as a wedding present, my wife is no longer with me, but the plant is. That was 23 years ago. I moved 6 months ago, the plant was not very large at the time. I took it to the shop where I work and put it in the lobby (supposed to be temporary). It is still in the lobby and is now 4x its original size, biggest it has ever been! It has a good mix of sun and shade, fluorescent lights. I put coffee grounds into the potting soil every so often, as a result the soil is in excellent condition. I am not much of a green thumb but have found success growing this plant. Highly recommended if you're not very good at growing house plants.

On Mar 18, 2011, PanamaJack from Santa Monica, CA (Zone 10b) wrote:

This plant can be grown outdoors in coastal Southern California with no problems at all. I have several potted on the rim of larger pots, some in full sun, some in all shade and even though the ones in the shade look way greener and prettier, ALL of them are thriving and growing like crazy. Easy to maintain...gives a very jungly, tropical look.

On Feb 4, 2011, a_griebel from Phoenix, AZ wrote:

I also have this growing outside in Phoenix, AZ and left it uncovered during a 28 degree freeze with no damage. Later with 26 degrees recorded in my yard, the leaves died, but the plant is still alive. I used to think this was strickly a houseplant only!

On Jan 3, 2011, cspacey from Chandler, AZ (Zone 9b) wrote:

I have had this plant growing in the ground in the front of my house ( north side) for 5 years and before that in a pot in an apartment. It has done great in the ground and has even survived down to 18 degrees. because its desert here i do have to give it alittle addtional watering in may and june before the monsoon hits

On Nov 29, 2010, BayAreaTropics from Hayward, CA wrote:

I added a photo of one I have growing by a sunny window in a 50 gallon aquarium. Strictly indoors in California,odd considering how far north in Florida and Texas they will survive to thrive outdoors. Long chilly months,mild summers just dont suit them. They dont even seem to grow much as porch plants here over summer. Indoors-another story as they can grow rampant. No complaints though-great easy care plants you never get tired of.

On Aug 29, 2010, Tigerlily09 from West Des Moines, IA (Zone 5a) wrote:

This plant is very hard to kill. I've overwatered, underwatered, given too much sun, not enough sun, and basically forgotten about this plant over the years and it's still around! It's very easy to grow new plants from cuttings. If you keep the vines trimmed it will be very bushy and beautiful. Every few years I'll grow some new plants from cuttings and get rid of the old plant. It stays nice and green and new-looking.

On Jul 22, 2010, Metrosideros from Keaau, HI wrote:

Golden Pothos is a great houseplant in temperate areas.

When let loose in tropical habitats it becomes an aggressive invasive weed that is very hard to get rid of!

Herbicides do not kill it; it must be removed manually, and it's sap is full of oxalate.

On Oct 25, 2009, drecenra from Orting, WA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Had this plant for years, originally a cutting from my mom's plant. Do well under a variety of conditions from low light and little water, to lots of light and lots of water. Seems to do best in the middle: let it go a little dry between waterings and bright but filtered sun. If outside full sun seems to burn it.

Can get long, but I keep cutting it and putting it into different pots. I'm going to let a couple go and see just how long it can get.

On Apr 15, 2009, Psyguy10 from Fayetteville, NC (Zone 8a) wrote:

my grandmother had this plant for many years... and it was almost never repotted and it still grew like crazy, i now have the plant and over the winter it's grown over 1 foot! it's a amazing plant.... one of the easiest house plants ever, and also so easy to propagate it should be a crime LOL i water mine when the soil is on the dry side and it loves it... every one should have this plant for a corner of their house

On Feb 6, 2008, Neuling from Carrollton, TX wrote:

A very hardy plant, especially for the beginner (like me). Tolerates a wide variety of lighting conditions, from a darkly-lit room to a spot near the window. Water requirements aren't taxing and forgetfulness can be tolerated by the plant. Very rewarding to have new plants emerge from cuttings.

I have always had an ivy somewhere and I have never been disappointed.

On Oct 15, 2006, handbright from Coral Springs, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

A great plant for anyone who is interested in cleaner indoor air. This plant was second only to the spider plant in it's ability to clear carbon monoxide from a closed room in a 24 hour period. It's a nice bonus that it looks so pretty while it's doing it...

On Aug 28, 2006, speckledpig from Satsuma, AL (Zone 8b) wrote:

This grows well indoors and outdoors here on the gulf coast. I have two of them in my office; one under a fluorescent light and one in the window.

On Aug 7, 2005, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

good indoor and outdoor plant. Leaves grow a lot bigger when planted outdoors. In fact, at first I thought I might have a "gigantea" variety and then someone explained to me it isn't a different plant, it just grows bigger outside. One of my neighbors has it growing like a ground cover and then up a tree. Leaves inground are average, but ones growing up the tree at 8-10" from end to end.

It seems to do well in many lighting situations--full shade, bright window, part sun, the only thing it doesn't like is full sun. It gets crispy pretty quickly.

On Jun 1, 2005, darylmitchell from Saskatoon, SK (Zone 3a) wrote:

I keep this indoors as an office plant, where it thrives in a north-facing room with small windows. I give it a little water with Schultz 10-15-10 plant food once a week and it's perfectly happy. Whenever it starts looking unkempt I cut off any unwanted leaves, and it sprouts new growth further back. It's a very easy plant to care for and great for a beginner.

On Sep 15, 2004, kwilso16 from Salt Lake City, UT wrote:

The pothos was my very first plant. I've never had any trouble with it. The only downside I've noticed is that when you trim it, it'll leak for one or two days from the ends where you've trimmed. But that's not much of a downside to me. Very, very easy to grow. Great plant to start on!

On Jul 21, 2004, NativePlantFan9 from Boca Raton, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

Golden Pothos are great houseplants but can thrive outdoors in warm areas including my area (zones: 10a, 10b, 11 and below). They are native to the Solomon Islands in the Pacific Ocean, where, in the humid, warm, tropical jungle climate, they can grow to be whoppers with leaves over 3 feet across and up to very many feet high into trees! You can keep them potted worldwide indoors as long as temperature is controlled to suit the plants' needs. However, if grown outdoors, they can quickly climb up trees and possibly take over (listed as Florida EPPC Plant List Two on Counsil For Invasive Species Plant Control) but are beautiful and extraordinary vines with that tropical look. They are also called Devil's Ivy and Taro Vines (or you can, like I do, call them 'jungle vines'). If you do own one,... read more

On Jun 1, 2004, Larabee from Houston, TX wrote:

This is a wonderful plant for beginners. It's very forgiving and grows in a variety of lighting conditions. Pothos is also one of the best plants for indoor air purification, according to NASA.

On Jul 22, 2003, MotherNature4 from Bartow, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

These have been growing on oak trees in my yard for 30 years, sometimes killed back by cold, but coming right back. As the plant climbs higher, the leaves get larger and split to allow the air to go through without ripping them. When the vines drop down, the leaves get smaller as they grow closer to the ground.

Another common name is Hunter's Robe when it is growing in large trees.

On Jul 22, 2003, suncatcheracres from Old Town, FL wrote:

I've had several pothos plants for about 15 years that were grown from cuttings taken from an outdoor plant that grows high up a pine tree in St. Petersburg, Florida (zone 9b). The original plant on the pine tree survived 18 F--it froze to the ground, but amazingly came back up that next spring. I drive by to see this pothos every time I go back to St. Pete, and it's always still there, climbing perhaps 30 feet or higher, and the pine tree seems none the worse for wear.

The leaves on the outdoor St. Pete plant do get much larger the higher up on the plant. Here in zone 8b in Northcentral Florida I keep my pothos in pots, and fertilize frequently, so I have to keep them cut back frequently. But there is always someone that will take the cuttings, and the cuttings will liv... read more

On Jul 22, 2003, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

According to professor Pedro Carauta, specialist in Ficus, this species seems to kill fig trees in general. I don't know how, but that's an information to look for before making it to climb trees.

I have one growing on a pot. It's been there for 16 years. I never changed the pot, nor feed it with anything. It just keeps growing. If I wanted to kill it, I don't know if I could.

On Oct 31, 2002, Weezingreens from Seward, AK (Zone 3b) wrote:

Pothos is native to the Solomon Islands in the South Pacific where it grows up the trunks of trees. It is generally cultivated as a house plant where its climbing habit adapts well to hanging pots or climbing up large houseplants.

One of the most common varieties is 'Marble Queen' whose leaves are mainly white with splashes of yellow, cream and green. Variegation is more pronounced if grown in full sun. Other varieties are 'Jade Pothos' and 'Golden Pothos'.

Pothos blooms in tiny spikes of flowers in spathes, but it seldom blooms in cultivation. It is easily rooted in water from stem tip cuttings or leaf buds.

On Oct 30, 2002, CountryForever wrote:

The leaves on the Golden Pothos are an easy indicator of its health. When the plant is happy the green leaves are variegated with gold. When it is unhappy the leaves can be almost totally green.