Thryallis, Golden Thryallis

Galphimia gracilis

Family: Malpighiaceae
Genus: Galphimia (gal-FIM-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: gracilis (GRASS-il-is) (Info)

Late Fall/Early Winter

Wear gloves to protect hands when handling seeds

Boca Raton, Florida

Lutz, Florida

Melbourne Beach, Florida

Odessa, Florida

Palm Coast, Florida

Pensacola, Florida (2 reports)

Pompano Beach, Florida

Spring Branch, Texas

Waco, Texas

Norfolk, Virginia

On Nov 1, 2012, CarolynFleur from Fort Pierce, FL wrote:

Planted 3-gallon thyrallis bushes all over our large setback here in Fort Pierce, FL a year ago September. It is a pretty plant, fast growing, and it blooms all the time. Our biggest problem with these bushes so far is that a couple have split between the branches during windstorms.. In one case, I tied the bush back together and it seems to have mended itself. In the other, one branch had to be removed. Right now we are having a cool spell, and some of the leaves on some of the plants are turning orange. Not dying, just changing color. Didn't happen last year, so I am wondering if the cool weather so early in the fall is causing this or if our recent storm (wind from Hurricane Sandy) is to blame.We are near enough salt water to get some spray and others of our plants have browned al... read more

On Apr 29, 2012, sherlie13 from Brantford

Wondering if I could over winter in a garage, simular to a lantana or brugmansia. Im from SW Ontario Canada and garden centers are offering it for $40.00! Does it like to be cut back to shoot new in the spring, or does it need sun year round? Any suggestions!?

On Oct 24, 2011, maginot2u from Bal Harbour, FL wrote:

Thryallis was a delight in my garden. Always full of flowers year round and a quick grower that tripled in size within a year. It seemed to be an ideal plant. Then we recently had torrential downpours here in Miami accompanied by lots of wind. The Thyrallis seemed to be beat to the ground and when I went to right it back up, I found that all the major branches had been split and broken in the middle. I had to prune and remove over 80% of the bush. I do hope it recovers ok.

On Jan 5, 2011, compost3 from Waco, TX wrote:

I garden at a university in Waco, Tx. Our colors are green and gold, so when I first saw thryallis at a local nursery, I knew that we must try to grow it in 2010 .These plants, though borderline for surviving in zone 8B , have been splendid ,ever-blooming, even in partial shade site, surviving our many 100+ degree days ..Now withstanding upper 20's cold , they are a lovely bronze color.In short, we are thrilled by their performance . More local nurseries should offer this plant !.

On Jul 26, 2009, fullsun007 from Gainesville, FL wrote:

I Have had this plant for over 2 years in my garden, and since have added a couple more of them. These plants love full sun but I have found that mine like a little supplemental water occasionally during the heat of summer. This winter we had 2 nights of back to back lows of 21oF, this did not faze this plant only a handful of leaves on this 5 feet shrub turned a slight redish color, otherwise it was business as usual, and there was no overhead protection. This plant as others have pointed out here is pure sunshine. Mine bloom here in zone 8B from June-November. Each flower seems to produce a seed pod, however, I have never had problems with volunteers. I have mine planted with firebush, which where knocked to ground during that freeze. If you have a sunny location and don't mind thi... read more

On Sep 18, 2005, Musgrave from Brandon, FL wrote:

This bush is a strong grower that flowers all summer. It will grow with no help after it is established . It will not become a problem as it does not spread except ocasionally . Ed Brandon FL

On Aug 4, 2005, Stuber from Fernandina Beach, FL wrote:

I would emphasize this plant is a "pure sun play" -- mine only get about 5 hours a day, and while healthy, they do tend to get a bit leggy. Having said that, they are reliable bloomers in late summer even in that situation and I just whack 'em back in the late winter to keep them looking well rounded and full. Great plant and a really nice, semi-wild looking shrub with clear, bright yellow blooms for the informal garden. Also a great choice if you wanted to fill a large area with a lot of blooming shrubs as a backdrop. Even when not in bloom it's structure and leaf color are interesting.

On Apr 9, 2004, theplantdoctors from Largo, FL wrote:

This is a great addition to the potted garden as well as the beds. It will tolerate salty conditions as well as dry soil. Blooms Blooms Blooms all the time in FL.

On Mar 18, 2003, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

San Antonio, Texas 3/18/93

Excellent heat tolerant, xeriscape plant. It is a robust bloomer which tolerates a variety of well drained soils. Extreme cold will cause it to die back to the ground; however, it will resprout in the spring. Mild cold causes the leaves to turn a bronzy to reddish color. Poor salt tolerance requres it to be shielded by other plants in coastal regions, but it must receive a fair amount of sunlight in order to encourage blooms and discourage legginess. To increase fullness and thus more blooms, it can be pruned after the last freeze.

On Aug 4, 2002, bleu wrote:

Very showy and easy to grow. Blooms almost continually. Will become leggy in low-light. Tolerant of brief periods of very cold weather. Branches are brittle and break easily. Will rot and die if over-watered. Self-seeding but not so much as to be a nuisance, just enough so that you can pot up some new bushes which grow very rapidly to a good size. Trim in the winter to promote a thicker bushes.