PlantFiles: Starburst Bush, Shooting Star
Clerodendrum quadriloculare

Family: Verbenaceae (ver-be-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Clerodendrum (kler-oh-DEN-drum) (Info)
Species: quadriloculare (kwah-drih-lok-yoo-LAIR-ee) (Info)

Synonym:Ligustrum quadriloculare

By caribblue
Thumbnail #7 of Clerodendrum quadriloculare by caribblue

Negative nhow On Oct 21, 2013, nhow from Island Paradise
Montserrat wrote:

Another ecological disaster in the making ! It will take over EVERYWHERE it can. See Invasive Species Compendium http://www.cabi.org/isc/?compid=5&dsid=14334&page=481&site=1...

Positive GulfwaterLily On Apr 15, 2013, GulfwaterLily from Naples, FL wrote:

I absolutely LOVE this plant! I'm surprised I don't see it around town more (Naples, FL). It is absolutely breathtaking when it is in bloom. And the beautiful deep green and dark purple leaves make it an attractive plant year round. What amazes me about Starburst/Shooting Star is how fast it grows! It can easily grow 5-7 feet or more a year. It's a great choice if you're into instant gratification. About 6-8 weeks ago, I dug up and potted a few suckers to grow. Initially, they went through transplant shock and lost most of their leaves. They stayed pretty sad looking for about a month and then suddenly burst back to life! The number of leaves on one of the suckers more than doubled in just the last week! (from 22 to 48). I agree that people should not let the fact that this plant puts out suckers deter them from planting it. The suckers are very easy to maintain by simply removing them. Be sure to repot the suckers you remove because you will have a lot of people wanting one once they've seen yours in bloom! Good luck!

Positive Beekeepthyme On Mar 13, 2013, Beekeepthyme from Georgetown, FL wrote:

I found one of these plants, a large one, a few years ago in a garden center. A few small branches had broken off. The saleswoman kindly gave me a nub, I planted it, and now it is beautifully growing next to my avocado, "Brogdon". The leaves are same size, look good together. No blooms yet, but our winters are brisk in zone 9, south of Jax. It is a pretty tree, bush, and if I last long enough (!) to see it bloom, I will be pleased. I agree with tremax and MotherNature--pot the suckers up and share the beauty. Well worth it, and the pollinators will thank you, as well.

Positive DarkMorning On Sep 15, 2012, DarkMorning from Palm Bay, FL wrote:

It was here when I bought the house but I love the colors of foliage and flowers. Died back with one "winter" cold snap but came right back. There have been a few suckers, I pulled a few to grow new plants (before I had identified it) but the rest just get taken down by the lawnmower. I haven't done any pruning so the suckering has been minimal.

Neutral FlaFlower On Feb 25, 2012, FlaFlower from Miami Dade, FL (Zone 11) wrote:

I gave this a neutral because I hate to like this plant but I do like it when it behaves but I like to hate it when it doesn't.
It pops up all over, with underground runners, I planted a meduim size shrub a few years back, this year I found while weeding a whole different independant shrub in the back of the garden next to the original one. All year long outside of the designated boarder I find suckers popping up...so it is me and my trowel or shovel trying to keep it under control as I see them appear in the lawn...Give this to your enemy along with virginia creeper and kudza, that should keep them busy for a good long while...LOL

Neutral dyzzypyxxy On Jan 8, 2012, dyzzypyxxy from Sarasota, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I have a row of these planted 4 years ago, as a privacy screen across the front of our house. The last two cold winters it has, indeed, dropped every leaf and pouted for 3 months in the winter. This is a big negative. It's a lousy privacy screen!

On the positive side, it is absolutely beautiful, easy care and drought tolerant. This year, since the weather has been pretty warm it appears it is thinking about blooming. It has clusters of flower buds sitting there waiting to open, for at least a month. I have had a few suckers, but they have been manageable. IF I get blooms this year, I'll change the rating to positive, but I'm still sitting on the fence on this plant.

Positive villamar11 On Aug 17, 2010, villamar11 from CARACAS
Venezuela wrote:

ESTE ARBOL ES DEMASIADO BELLO, LASTIMA QUE DESPRENDA TANTO FOLLAJE,ES IMPRESIONANTE LA DIFUSION Y CANTIDAD DE FLORES Y EL DOBLE COLOR DE SUS HOJAS, ES BASTANTE INVASIVA PERO NO PERJUDICA A LAS OTRAS PLANTAS QUE COLINDAN CON ELLA, ES UN POCO FRAGIL A PESAR DE SU BUEN TAMAO, SUS RETOOS QUE SALEN DE LAS MISMAS RAICES SON DE FACIL EXTRACCION, EN FIN VALE LA PENA DISFRUTAR DE ELLA, NOS DA UNA ESPECTACULAR VISTA. LA RECOMIENDO PARA CUALQUIER JARDIN DE MEDIANAS MEDIDAS.

Negative WJStickel On Jan 19, 2010, WJStickel from Cape Coral, FL wrote:

Drops every leaf and flower bud in even a light frost.

Neutral Auntyaya On Nov 15, 2009, Auntyaya from Jacksonville, FL wrote:

I have zero gardening experience so when I planted my C. quadriloculare 2 years ago I planted it at the corner of my house.It get a mix of sunchine and shade depending on the time of day. The leaves are lovely and large but I have never seen a flower on the bush. Does anyone have any advice? I am Jacksonville Florida (zone 8b/9a I think). Many of you mentioned suckers, what are these? I dont recall seeing anything resembling that, would they appear soon after planting or years later?

Positive lutraman On May 3, 2009, lutraman from Saint Petersburg, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

Hello.. I first noticed this plant while in the Bahamas and wanted to have it in my own yard one day. Just recently planted 4 shrubs in ground in mid January,fed them bloom enhancing food every 14 days and was able have flowering shrubs by Easter. Since then i have pruned them back, dusted them for bugs,misting the foliage daily and continue to fertilize bi- weekly and they are filling out nicely in preparation for the next bloom season.

Negative gablesite On Mar 16, 2009, gablesite from Miami, FL wrote:

A tree form was in the rear garden of the home my wife and I purchased a few years back. Initially, we enjoyed its magnificent blooms. But, eventually, we grew tired of all the suckers ... this tree just wants to take over the universe. This tree is like a weed. It survives most anything, grows fast like a swamp bush and replicates itself everywhere. I cut it down this year.

Avoid it, as there are many more interesting trees and shrubs.

Positive Cambium On Jan 18, 2008, Cambium from Lamar, AR (Zone 7b) wrote:

Blooming has begun in middle of January here in Tamarac, FL. I think this small tree/tall bush is one of the most stunning plants I've ever seen. As Art says, they're brittle & very easy to keep in control.

Positive artcons On Mar 8, 2005, artcons from Fort Lauderdale, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

I garden for enjoyment and butterflies. This bush is a favorite of mine. True lots of suckers, but they are easily removed. It is very brittle, I lost one to the hurricanes last summer. It has grown back to almost five feet in seven months. I think this is the best looking flowering plant in my yard.
Last summer and early fall I witnessed many landings of Eastern Comma (Polygonia comma) butterfly on this plant. This butterfly disguises itself as a dead leaf when it closes it's wings. It looks so out of place, with it's dried brown look, hanging from a dark green top, purple bottomed leaf.

Neutral afy65 On Feb 17, 2005, afy65 from Cliffsend, Kent
United Kingdom (Zone 8a) wrote:

Hi
Been trying to get this plant/shrub here in the uk for some time - I live in one of the warmest areas in the uk and would keep this plant in a pot and overwinter. could anyone send me some cuttings or suckers through the post to me - I have seeds to swap.I hope someone can help as i am about to giveup on my quest now

thankyou

Daniel ;-)

Positive tremax On Feb 5, 2005, tremax from Delray Beach, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

Yes, it suckers. Dig them up, pot them and give them away. Their blooms are beautiful and worth the effort. We've had them for years and love them

Negative arielsadmirer On Feb 4, 2005, arielsadmirer from Margate, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

This Clerodendrum has beautiful foilage, a stiking flower display and is a fast grower! It propagates easily from any hardwood cutting placed directly into the soil.

This one is very difficult to control. It suckers everywhere, even up to five feet away! If you plant this, do not trim it, as trimming seems to encourage suckering.

This shrub has many things going for it, but the constant supervision needed to keep it controlled is a big negative for me.

Positive MotherNature4 On Jan 5, 2005, MotherNature4 from Bartow, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

Sorry IslandJim has had trouble with this plant. The blooms will knock your sox off, and the leaves are striking with purple backs.

Mine is 3 years old but has never suckered. I'll be sure to keep an eye on it, Jim.
MotherNature4

Negative IslandJim On Apr 15, 2003, IslandJim from Keizer, OR (Zone 8b) wrote:

this is the worst suckering plant i was ever suckered [:>)] into planting. only thing i've found capable of controling the suckers is diesel oil.

Neutral smiln32 On Aug 26, 2002, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Grows quickly. Likes full sun. Stunning blooms , easy to grow, keep trimmed to maintain shape.

Hayward, California
Jensen Beach, Florida
Margate, Florida
Melrose Park, Florida
Merritt Island, Florida
Miami, Florida (3 reports)
Mulberry, Florida
North Andrews Gardens, Florida (2 reports)
North De Land, Florida
Port Charlotte, Florida
Samoset, Florida
Seffner, Florida
Spring Hill, Florida
St Petersburg, Florida (2 reports)
Sumterville, Florida