PlantFiles: Asiatic Jasmine, Asian Jasmine
Trachelospermum asiaticum

Family: Apocynaceae (a-pos-ih-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Trachelospermum (tray-key-low-SPER-mum) (Info)
Species: asiaticum (a-see-AT-ee-kum) (Info)

Groundcovers

Thumbnail #6 of Trachelospermum asiaticum by DaylilySLP

By DaylilySLP
Thumbnail #7 of Trachelospermum asiaticum by DaylilySLP

Negative pontyrogof On Apr 9, 2014, pontyrogof from Tallahassee, FL wrote:

Like other commentators here, I bought a house whose original owners had planted "nice" islands of this noxious weed, and whose owners before me neglected to correct the original owner's mistake of planting this alien monster around trees and shrubs. I have too many square feet to spend bent over slicing and rolling, so I put a BLADE on the string trimmer and have been MULCHING this monster for days now before I can even get to the shrubs and trees to tend to them. The asiatic jasmine thatch is UP TO MY KNEES in most places and the roots go down in the soil another foot. I have a multitude of azaleas and loblolly pines all gagging for air and water, but I am working as fast as my arms will let me. I threw a temper tantrum at the local Home Depot recently for their carrying starts of this parasite on the soul of Florida.

Negative SerenDippity On Apr 25, 2011, SerenDippity from Wylie, TX wrote:

We refer to this as "The Devil Vine from Hell."
It is a pretty ground cover and can be useful in confined beds. you see it in commercial landscapes all the time.
It gets ratty looking if not mowed down every two or three years because it just puts new growth on top of dead vines that start to show.
The reason it morphs into devil vine at home is when it is planted too close to the house. It climbs the walls, thus cracking the mortar around the bricks, it climbs into window screens and into the house if it can. Last year when putting up the Christmas decorations we found it growing in our attic!! How crazy is that? It sends roots under the driveway that sprout up through the cracks making them larger. Removing it is a nightmare. The roots are as thick and tangled below ground as the vine is above. Leave an inch of root and before you know it it has sprouted up in 5 new places. Don't put it in the compost! I kept it in black garbage bags for a year with no water and opened it to find live roots. This is the vine that when civilization ends will return all buildings and roads back to nature.

Positive vossner On Feb 17, 2009, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I find it a wonderful groundcover. However it doesn't take much abuse. My pets like laying on it and can kill it within a week. Also, weeds can grow thru jasmine if excessively watered. Use a weedeater to control it where not wanted.

Negative irishrose1127 On Feb 3, 2008, irishrose1127 from Dallas, TX wrote:

This plant is evil. If neglected it takes over everything. Do not plant it unless you are able to take care of it. I just bought a house in Dallas where this plant has been neglected for 10 years. It is everywhere. The owner before last had made nice garden plots and segments that the last owner allowed to be completely overrun with this plant. I have been battling it for days and days to try and get these plots back. I have nearly cleared the worst of it but will be fighting back incursions for years. Please be aware of its potential growth when planting.

Positive philomel On Jun 12, 2007, philomel from Castelnau RB Pyrenes
France (Zone 8a) wrote:

I grew this plant in SE England as ground cover and it sulked, never fulfilling my expectations. Now I am growing it as a climber in SW France and it is blooming freely with lovely soft cream coloured flowers, a shade darker in the centre. The scent is exquisite - less sweet than that of T. jasminoides - with a distinct hint of almonds.

I haven't owned it for long enough to be certain, but I feel it will not be too invasive in this climate, which, though wet at times, tends to be hot and dry in the height of summer.

Positive herlurie On Feb 8, 2006, herlurie from Mobile, AL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I live in an apartment, so I bought one small pot of this plant and planted it at the base of a winter jasmine that I have in a large pot on my patio. Every three or four months I give it a little trim and so far (I have had it about a year) it is behaving quite nicely. I have seen this plant in many places around the area - it is quite popular as a ground cover here - and I have noticed that it can be invasive if it is not well-maintained. It seems to do best either in pots or in established beds with some type of border where it can be kept in check. I hope that it blooms this year, but am still pleased if it doesn't because I like the look it adds to the pot as opposed to bare dirt or mulch.

Positive IslandJim On Oct 31, 2004, IslandJim from Keizer, OR (Zone 8b) wrote:

Amazing. You'd think it was a different plant in Louisiana than it is here in southwest Florida. It's quite well behaved here and drought tolerant. It also survives in saline coastal locations. The variegated cultivar is also quite popular.

Negative Witchie On Oct 30, 2004, Witchie from Belle Chasse, LA wrote:

This plant, can, indeed be invasive in the deep south. It does grow rapidly in hot, humid zones and can pose a problem if not trimmed frequently. Futhermore, this plan emits a sappy substance which can cause an allergic reaction (similar to the exposure to poison oak, etc.).

Negative deborahgrand On Aug 12, 2004, deborahgrand from Baton Rouge, LA wrote:

In Louisiana, this plant grows like wildfire and climbs, kills, pulls down, and otherwise destroys anything it touches -- it is a parasite. I moved into this house 10 years ago, and apparently someone had planted it along a shady area and it took over the whole side of the house and started growing into the house through the teeny cracks in the windows. I have been fighting it for 10 years and it is still a losing battle. Of course, it killed the oak and elm trees, but not the nasty "weed" trees we tend to grow in Louisiana. Once you have it, you've got it for life. It looks nice in some commercial beds I've seen, but they must chop at that stuff two or three times a week to keep it that way. My answer to those considering is "don't, just don't".

Positive DrJerry On May 19, 2004, DrJerry from Burleson, TX wrote:

I have used this plant for ten years, or more, as a shade-tolerant groundcover, and it has not spread into my pine or cedar trees. Winter temperatures below about 25 degrees F. may cause discoloration in the leaf; otherwise, the plant fares well in my Texas environment, even during the hottest, driest summers.

Positive Paulwhwest On Apr 27, 2004, Paulwhwest from Irving (Dallas area), TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Very vigorous and beautiful gound cover, but make sure you give it plenty of room or it will find it.

Positive suncatcheracres On Nov 20, 2003, suncatcheracres from Old Town, FL wrote:

I've only grown this plant in a suburb of Atlanta, Georiga, zone 7b, at an altitude of almost 900 feet, where it seemed to like the highly acidic, heavy red clay soil, as it spread, slowly, into a nicely behaved ground cover, in places where I despaired of ever getting anything to grow. After reading the above I don't think I will plant it here in Northcentral Florida, zone 8b, as it seens it could become invasive. I prefer the look of Mondo grass as a shady ground cover here anyway.

Neutral dogbane On Nov 19, 2003, dogbane from New Orleans, LA (Zone 9a) wrote:

This plant can be a fabulous groundcover. However, it should never be planted within reach of any kind of shrubbery and careful consideration should be given before planting it around trees. Once established it can be quite aggressive. If it gets into the grooves of bark, especially of live oaks, it is almost impossible to keep it from climbing all the way up.

Positive snooklips On May 25, 2003, snooklips wrote:

I have been specifying/observing this plant for many years in central Florida (U.S.), where it is considered one of the premier drought-tolerant and easily maintained groundcovers available.

It can be slow to establish so closer spacing is sometimes preferred. Large turf-type harvest/planting methods have been experimented with at University of Florida as a turf alternative because it actually holds up to mimimal foot traffic and is apparently effective at erosion control.

It was planted on an approximately 55 sloping roof at the Museum of Science and Industry in Tampa with ultimate success (it took several years to establish, possibly from too great of planting centers and water/weed stress.)

It seems to seems to establish better with more water, needing much less after establishment. One drawback with Trachelospermum asiaticum is its rare blooming habit (in Florida), compared to T. jasminoides ("Confederate Jasmine".)

Neutral smiln32 On Aug 5, 2002, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Nice groundcover...needs to be mowed down evey 3-4 years to keep it under control.

Atmore, Alabama