PlantFiles: Petunia
Petunia 'Wave Purple'

Genus: Petunia (peh-TEWN-ya) (Info)
Cultivar: Wave Purple
Additional cultivar information: (Wave™ series)

Not Applicable

Thumbnail #6 of Petunia  by muadib

By muadib
Thumbnail #7 of Petunia  by muadib

Positive packerbaby On Jul 25, 2011, packerbaby from Quincy, IL wrote:

I plant 2 hanging baskets with wave petunias every year. I honestly haven't had luck with growing my own but will keep trying. I'm still quite new to this. The flowers are very fragrant and it will constantly bloom so long as you dead head the plant. I usually go out everyday and pick a few off, but doing so, I've had great looking plants.
@Daytondigger-You may have had too much water, that's all. We've had quite a few "chilly" nights in the early spring but they still did just fine. I use "Miracle Grow" potting soil when i plant these so maybe that might make a difference too. Don't give up on them. They're worth having around.

Negative Daytondigger On Aug 3, 2009, Daytondigger from Dayton, KY wrote:

HELP < I had 4 flower window boxes full of beautiful wave petunias
and the weather turned cool for the end of July low 60's at night and only 70 for the day high and rain for that week. and by Friday night Saturday, I had green/ brown leaves no flowers . They were ugly within 5 days. I thought perhaps I had a bug and sprayed with garden spray I cut them back . nothing helped. what went wrong with this plant, any help would be great. My sister had the same problem but different timing, and it happened amost overnight.

Positive jcrply On Mar 17, 2009, jcrply from Fort Myers, FL wrote:

I live in southwest Florida (zone 10). Petunias do extremely well here during the WINTER. I can purchase regular petunia plants locally during the winter. However, it has proved to be impossible to purchase Wave Petunias locally until spring. In the spring they do well for a while, and then the weather becomes too hot for them. I have searched for several years to find a source for wave petunias during "our" petunia season, but no one even offers them by mail order in the fall or winter. I have resorted to buying small wave petunia plugs on ebay...but even those are not available early enough. I really do not understand why they are not grown and sold here in the winter... lots of people would like to have them.

Positive almostfinished On Jun 16, 2006, almostfinished from Albertville, MN wrote:

I have planted the wave in a barrel under a water pump in my front yard. I keep them moist by putting wood chips on the surface of the soil and watering them daily. They are doing excellent! I will definitely plant them again next year!

Neutral Suze_ On Apr 3, 2006, Suze_ from (Zone 7b) wrote:

Nice petunia, great in baskets and very attactive. However, I've come to prefer 'Laura Bush' as it just does so much better in my summers.

Positive lmelling On Oct 27, 2004, lmelling from Ithaca, NY (Zone 5b) wrote:

I purchased a basket of this wave petunia, and while it preformed nicely, I wouldn't call it incredible. I had it on a shepherds hook over my front garden where it got full sun and tried to keep it well watered and fertilized (as indicated). This was a very wet year for us - perhaps too much sun, too much rain - who knows. I will try these again next year, but in a different place and experiment.

I also had these planted in a side garden with less sun and in rich well drained soil. I'm neutral on their performance there - they died out by August, while the other standard petunias did amazingly well - lasting until October.

I've seen several baskets of these wave petunias hanging from house porches - several looked spectacular. Either they were a different type or I'm doing something wrong.

Positive Kell On Aug 7, 2002, Kell from Northern California, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

This is an incredibly floriferous petunia! It has been constantly covered in blooms since I planted it. It needs to be fed well to maintain its rapid growth and many 2 inch blooms. It has grown the fastest of all the Wave petunias. I have it planted also in the ground and it has a spread of 2 feet all the way around though is laying flatter to the ground while in the pot it has quite a bit of height to it. It is self cleaning so I have done absolutely no deadheading or even pinching to maintain bushiness. However, I now have to start pruning or you will not be able to see the chair at all!!

Fayetteville, Arkansas