PlantFiles: Rubrum Lily, Red Japanese Show Lily
Lilium speciosum var. rubrum

Family: Liliaceae (lil-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Lilium (LIL-ee-um) (Info)
Species: speciosum var. rubrum
Additional cultivar information: (aka Rubrum)

Division:

Bloom Size:

Color Pattern:
Spotted
Papillae

By dividing the bulb's scales
From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

By carolann

Thumbnail #6 of Lilium speciosum var. rubrum by Galanthophile

By TBGDN
Thumbnail #7 of Lilium speciosum var. rubrum by TBGDN

Positive canipity On Feb 4, 2009, canipity from Parkesburg, PA wrote:

I had the same experience as mentioned above. I had planted several of these bulbs and most of them came up as this species. A few flowers turned out to be larger and less recurved. I think they may be the "Uchida" cultivar of this species. They are however just as beautiful.

Positive lyndzi On Sep 29, 2007, lyndzi from Liverpool, NY wrote:

my fiance just recently bought this lily for me and i absoloutly love it, its so beautiful. I did however hear that this flower is under the Poisonous plant catagory......this is just what i have been told i don't know if its true, i really hope it isnt.

Positive TBGDN On Feb 6, 2006, TBGDN from Macy, IN wrote:

I have grown this beautiful lily for at least 10-12 years. It is a magnificent plant with large 7-8" outward/downward facing blooms. It is the last of the lilies to bloom here beginning around the end of July into August. I have measured stalks as high as 7', and with clusters of 10-15 flowers per stem. Very nice fragrance, and the flowers attract a lot of butterflies.

On Aug 16, 2006, TBGDN from Macy, IN (Zone 5b) added:

I have been growing for ten years what I 'thought' was this lily. This past winter I ordered an 'extra' bulb for the sake of comparison, and planted it beside the cluster that I had 'thought' this was. Was I ever surprised when I saw the marked difference between the two flowers! Whatever I was growing as Rubrum speciosum, although beautiful, was not to be compared to the unique beauty of this lily: It is totally different in coloring, form and appearance. Both are outward/downward facing; both are quite beautiful, fragrant and tall. However, the one I 'thought' was Rubrum has a lighter color and is much taller at 7 feet, with enormous flowers, and its petals are not as recurved as the real Rubrum.

This bulb arrived and was planted the first week in May 2006. To my amazement it has grown to about 40" and produced 4 buds. Three have opened and a fourth will open this week. Now I need to search the Plantfiles to see what I had been growing erroneously as Rubrum really is.
Positive debi_z On Oct 31, 2004, debi_z from Springfield, MA (Zone 6a) wrote:

my rubrum planted in late spring 2003, blossomed in september. in 2004, the 2nd year, it surprised me by sending up a second stalk and producing another set of beautiful blossoms, blooming in september as well. i can't wait to see what 2005 has in store for me.
this is the last lilium to blossom in my gardens.
i adore the small, recurved, pink, white and red down-facing, "smelly" & "heady" blossoms.

Positive gardenhoe On Sep 5, 2004, gardenhoe from Chesapeake, VA wrote:

This plant has done very well for me in my area zone 7b,,,Mike

Neutral Baa On Aug 28, 2002, Baa wrote:

A variety of a species lily from China, Japan and Taiwan.

Has broad, lance shaped, mid to deep green leaves with short stalks, borne on brownish stems. Bears large, turkscap, white flowers flushed heavily with deep reddish pink and darker spots.

Flowers July - September

Loves moist but well drained, acid soil in light shade and is best grown as cool a spot as possible.

Stamford, Connecticut