Hymenocallis, Spider Lily, Ismene 'Sulphur Queen'

Family: Amaryllidaceae (am-uh-ril-id-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Ismene (iz-me-nee) (Info)
Cultivar: Sulphur Queen
Synonym:Hymenocallis spofforthiae

Pale Yellow

Graysville, Alabama

Port Saint Lucie, Florida

Umatilla, Florida

Austin, Texas (2 reports)

On Dec 30, 2013, lancer23 from San Francisco, CA wrote:

I kind of misplace this plant. I planted outside and maybe moved it once the bulb went dormant. Its also called Peruvian Daffodil but its more tropical looking and scented!

Update: It was hiding under a rock, and I found it again! Snail chew it up but what a relieved that it didn't get stolen and fall into bad hands. I was so sad that I bough a white replacement already. Now I have 2, yeah.

On Aug 16, 2013, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Very easy plant in my z9a garden. Planted inground, partial sun and good access to sprinkler. I have not detected fragrance. I plan to get some more as a patch would be very striking.

On Aug 14, 2013, ebk777 from Chilliwack

I bought the plant as a bulb and grew it in a pot, in Chilliwack, BC. It grew vigorously and was very healthy. The flowers were quite different, being a pale yellow with green stripes, that blended well with the color of the foliage.The feature that really impressed me was the delicate fragrance throughout the small backyard garden. I was going to plant it in the garden in the Fall, but since it is temperature sensitive, I will store it in my garage. I am looking to buy more, just for the fragrance.

On Aug 8, 2002, Baa wrote:

Sulphur Queen is a cross between Hymenocallis amancaes and H. narcissiflora.

Has strap-shaped or oblong, dark green leaves. Bears up to 6, soft yellow, green striped, large flowers which have a strong fragrance.

Flowers anywhere between May-July but the flowers are very short lived lasting only a few days each.

Loves a moist but well-drained soil in sun or partial shade. It won't stand temperatures much lower than 55F even when dormant so best grown indoors.

Water well when in growth but keep dry when dormant.

Plant the bulbs so the neck is above soil level.