Weeping Jade, Trailing Jade, Vining Jade

Senecio jacobsenii

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Senecio (sen-ek-ee-o ) (Info)
Species: jacobsenii (jay-kob-SEN-ee-eye) (Info)
Synonym:Kleinia petraea

Cactus and Succulents

From leaf cuttings

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

Brea, California

Palm Bay, Florida

Independence, Louisiana

Charleston, South Carolina

On May 2, 2015, davelvb1931 from El Dorado Hills, CA wrote:

I love this plant. Easy to grow, not fussy about sun-light or shade, and only thing I will tell you about my success with this plant is do not over water. I purchased this grit called 'DryStall' at my local animal feed store (it is for horse stalls), and got Patio Plus planters mix, and added 50/50 ratio of soil and grit. Perfect drainage for my succulents. I water this plant 1-1/2 times a week about. This plant hung over the side of the pot (12" wide) almost 24" long. Stems have become so heavy with 'branching' that it pulled some of them out of the soil, to which I just repotted using a pin to hold them in. Mine grows in full California sun, and have grown some of the cuttings in semi-shade, both with equal success. Love this plant.

On Nov 25, 2007, pieohmy from Independence, LA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This plant does very well in filtered shade in the summer here. I had it protected from the rain and watered it myself. Watered once or twice a week depending on humidity levels at the time. It also did well for me during the winter last year. Our winters are pretty mild so I did move it outside on warmer days. It didn't seem to mind being inside but it definently did not grow much during the winter months.

On Jan 9, 2005, hortus69 from Capitola, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

Positive and negative, I guess, totals a neutral.
I love the lavender hues to the leaves, and it's polite growing habit...WHEN it grows.. Unfortunately, here: four houses off the Monterey Bay, It seems to be crabby. It wants to become gelatinous and 'leaf the building' more easily than my other succulents.

I got into this website looking for data about it.

On Oct 1, 2003, Happenstance from Northern California, CA wrote:

Has been reclassified as Kleinia petraea, but still lots of disagreement among the experts.