Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Black Brandywine'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Black Brandywine
Additional cultivar information:(aka Brandywine, Black)
» View all varieties of Tomatoes

Minneapolis, Minnesota

New York City, New York

Irving, Texas

On Aug 25, 2014, ocean_314 from Ukiah, CA wrote:

Grew them this year, they came in early around 70 days. Very productive with good tomato taste. Nice meaty tomato.

Cherokee Purple tastes better and so does Prudens purple. But this is just our taste. i can see others liking the Brandywines over all others, its a good tomato.

On May 29, 2013, KCorley from Houston, TX wrote:

Brandywine black produced some absolutely beautiful fruit for me, with burgundy bodies and green, ribbed shoulders. Large fruit. Average to below average productivity. Above average flavor, though not the finest black taste, in my opinion.

On Aug 26, 2010, DonShirer from Westbrook, CT (Zone 6a) wrote:

I received BB seeds in a swap so I can't be sure of their origin, but my crop is not as deep a purple as many of the pictures show. Most of the fruit also exhibit circular scarring around the circumference of the stem end which means that for a nice presentation you must cut some off. Nevertheless, it tastes good, so I will probably grow it again next year. The plant is 6 ft high and ripens mid to late season.

On Aug 1, 2008, SLO_Garden from San Luis Obispo, CA wrote:

This is my first time growing Black Brandywine and I am very happy with it. It has a nice, "classic black" flavor: earthy, smokey, etc. with a firm texture. The interior color is very striking when sliced, with the deep red/black body and green shoulders. This is the most prolific of all of the brandywines that I have tried (whatever the black was that crossed with brandywine must be responsible), with lots of med-large tomatoes on the vines. The plant had no trouble with disease and produced mid-late season. I would definitely grow it again.

On Jan 28, 2006, Suze_ from (Zone 7b) wrote:

It is worth noting that there is still a bit of instability in this variety. Some are getting good results with it, others are reporting an exceedingly seedy fruit, i.e., a 'bag of seeds'.

Very attractive fruits are 12 to 16 oz. purple- maroon, flatish beefsteaks with a wonderful, earthy richness common with the black types. Vines are quite vigorous and production has always been great for me.