Wormwood, White Mugwort, Black Stemmed Artemisia 'Guizhou'

Artemisia lactiflora

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Artemisia (ar-te-MIZ-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: lactiflora (lak-tee-FLOR-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Guizhou

Aberdeen, Washington

Olympia, Washington

Stanwood, Washington

On Apr 24, 2015, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

Sometimes referred to as "Guizhou group", this is a variable group of plants and not a true cultivar (single clone). The best have very dark green/black foliage and stems, almost black, but this is not true for most plants I see being sold under this name.

The flowers are cream rather than white, and will look "dirty" if placed next to clear white flowers or white painted background. Flower stalks are tall and may require staking. Flowers are also good for dried arrangements.

Forms a clump and, unlike some artemisias this is not an aggressive spreader. Best divided every 3-4 years.

Best in full sun if soil moisture is consistent, but this will also do well in light shade.

This plant is not drought-tolerant, and unlike other arteme... read more

On Apr 24, 2015, Wishkah from Aberdeen, WA wrote:

I love this plant but am waiting to see how it survives. I felt that last year, direct sun made it a bit brown. I'm not sure if it was. Dehydration event or if it was truly the sun. I see that it is a "full sun" but I will still wait and see if I need to transplant. I can say for sure that it has matured quickly and is twice the size from last year.

On Jul 13, 2009, bonehead from Cedarhome, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is a gorgeous plant, the mahogany stems contrast beautifully with the dark green foliage, and the sprays of white flowers top it all off. Divides easily. Also purportedly gives one 'wild dreams' although I have not tried that.

Deb, Pacific Northwest

On Apr 17, 2005, CatskillKarma from West Kill, NY wrote:

I have failed with this plant twice. Once, it didn't make it through our zone 4b winter. Once it succombed to a mild dose of dog pee. Think its too delicate for my conditions!

On Apr 15, 2005, Happenstance from Northern California, CA wrote:

My favorite Artemisia! Excellent foliage and very long lasting flowers in a creamy white. Reaches about 3 feet tall with the flowers. Easily divided by taking a section of the root-ball in late fall. Deciduous, but rebounds each spring with fresh new foliage.

On Jun 26, 2004, ktrose from Delaware, OH wrote:

I planted this 2003 summer, looked good and grew to 4 foot tall, buds on the stems and then one by one the stems wilted like they were drying up and now only two stems are left - i'm afraid soon those will be gone too - any ideas what happened?

On Jan 21, 2003, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

Most Artemisias are grown for their foliage; this one has white flowers contrasting with dark green foliage and dark red-violet stems.