Umbrella Plant, Indian Rhubarb
Darmera peltata

Family: Saxifragaceae (saks-ih-frag-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Darmera (DAR-mer-uh) (Info)
Species: peltata (pel-TAY-tuh) (Info)
Synonym:Peltiphyllum peltatum

Ponds and Aquatics

Pale Pink

Bronze-Green

Very high moisture needs; suitable for bogs and water gardens

South Glastonbury, Connecticut

Bainbridge Island, Washington

Stanwood, Washington

negative

On Dec 31, 2014, selas4us from Provo, UT wrote:

I found this large leaved plant growing by a small stream near Sundance on Mount Timpanogos in Utah in 1981. I took leaves to the BYU Herbarium, It was identified as Peltiphyllum Peltatum. The leaves reminded me of a big saxifradge,- it was. How it got to Utah where I found it, I do not know. I transplanted some roots to my home in Provo, Utah in 1981. The plants spread and lasted for 25 years. Then it began to die back, the leaves got smaller over a period of 2-3 years and eventually grew no more. Nothing came up after 2007. I planted it in the shade in my front yard and tried to water it regularly. Summer temperatures in Provo, Utah can get up to 105. I miss the plant and its large leaves. I'd like to get some more Darmera to replace it.

On Apr 6, 2010, Azorina from (Linda)Gig Harbor, WA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Wonderful tough perennial. I have it growing near my stream where it sends up large blooms in April out of the bare ground then large round leaves. I tolerates nearly total shade where it isn't as likely to send up blooms but the leaves become very large. Very striking!

On Nov 25, 2009, bonehead from Cedarhome, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Slow to emerge in the spring. I tried this at the base of a willow with no luck whatsoever, apparently the willow sucked up all the available water. Moved some to a more marshy wild area and hoping for better luck next season. Impressive leaves need lots of space. *** Further research reveals that this is native to my area and it is now doing great in a boggy woodland setting.

On Apr 3, 2008, outdoorlover from Enid, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Did not have luck with this plant in zone 7b, Enid, Oklahoma. Could be because it did not receive enough water for its needs, although all my other plants survive and flourish. It died out the first season. It must need a lot of water!

On Aug 30, 2006, fluffygrue from Manchester
United Kingdom (Zone 8a) wrote:

Impressive-looking plant with gorgeous foliage, though very particular in its water needs. Ours is still a bit crinkly round the edges after its mini-pond dried up during a droughty period - so make sure it's always got plenty of water.

On Apr 26, 2004, branka from Hobart, IN (Zone 5a) wrote:

I have my darmera planted in it's own mini bog. This is it's second full season with me and the first time it's bloomed (mid April). It has six stalks with a bloom on top of each one. The blooms are a little smaller that a tennis ball.

The leaves are starting to emerge and when they start to take over, the flowers will fade. It's a beautiful plant for it's foilage and I am very pleased with the blossoms not that I finally got to see them!

On Mar 3, 2004, petevllx from Oakland, CA wrote:

I have it growing here in East Oakland, California in a very large pot which has excellent drainage, lots of sand and gets water run through it every day. Also inside the large pot are several other plants. The pot is in full sun, but I turn it during the hottest months so the other plants shade the Darmera to prevent scorching. Darmera grows best in fairly fast-moving cold water. It's a very beautiful and unusual plant! I read somewhere that it's the world's largest saxifrage.