PlantFiles: Pyrenees Thrift
Armeria juniperifolia

Family: Plumbaginaceae (plum-baj-i-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Armeria (ar-MER-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: juniperifolia (joo-nip-ih-FOH-lee-uh) (Info)

Synonym:Armeria caespitosa

Alpines and Rock Gardens

under 6 in. (15 cm)

Pale Pink

7.9 to 8.5 (alkaline)

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

By brianich

Thumbnail #5 of Armeria juniperifolia by sladeofsky

Thumbnail #6 of Armeria juniperifolia by sladeofsky

Thumbnail #7 of Armeria juniperifolia by sladeofsky

Positive BarbJ On Mar 20, 2013, BarbJ from Cupertino, CA wrote:

I've been growing this in a pot for about 18 months. I got it from a grower to test and I must say it's been an amazing plant. It's growing in average potting soil, morning shade, mid-day sun for several hours and a little shade in the later day. That's in the summer, winter it's in a few more hours shade. It grows neat and dense, the flowers are just an inch or so above the foliage, unlike it's cousin, maritima which holds them on taller stems.
This little gem just keeps on truckin'! 95-101* heat does not seem to phase it as long as it gets watered every other day. We had a pretty cold winter for us with temps getting to 32* and a little lower, for 4-6 nights in a row and it did not even blink. I've had to re-pot it once, from a 6" pot to a 10" pot since I've had it, so it seem to grow moderately fast, though I think it only gets a couple feet across when mature.
I am going to try it in the ground this year. My soil is clay with a lot of grit and sand, (old creek bed) drains well but heavy, pH neutral mostly. We have very little humidity in summer, ( mediterranean climate), so I don't know how this would do in a humid summer.

I do have wild rabbits so I appreciate the previous poster mentioning their love of the flowers, I may put a chicken wire cover over it the first season, to protect it.

This would be a great little ground cover or alpine garden plant.

Positive staceysmom On Jun 25, 2007, staceysmom from (GayLynn) Appleton, WI (Zone 5a) wrote:

This plant does great in the garden in glaring sun. It gives a great first bloom completely covering itself with blossoms. When dead headed it gives a second bloom though not as covered as the first round. However I have found the rabbits love to eat the blooms of this one. They have completely eaten every blossom of the repeat blooms. But this plant isn't giving up without a fight and I noticed it is trying to bloom again. Nice compact rounded form also. Although I noticed it doesn't like to be kept too wet during the winter months. Must be protected.

Cupertino, California