Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

Alstroemeria, Peruvian Lily, Lily of the Incas 'Sweet Laura'

Family: Alstroemeriaceae
Genus: Alstroemeria (al-stre-MEE-ree-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Sweet Laura
Additional cultivar information:(PP10030)
Hybridized by Bridgen
Registered or introduced: 1997

Gold (Yellow-Orange)

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

Mission Viejo, California

Redwood City, California

Indianapolis, Indiana

Canton, Ohio

Uniontown, Ohio

Saint Matthews, South Carolina

On Dec 28, 2015, paddyree from Seattle, WA wrote:

This is my favorite Alstroemeria by far! It flowers early on long tall stems, even in a partly shaded spot. This year I didn't get to cutting the spent flower stalks, but a second flush came up anyway from the roots, so had flowers until late September. The local ones sold are always pink and short. The only time they start to flop sideways is when the dog gets in the patch, so I surround with wire fencing now, but wouldn't need to ordinarily. When I dug some up to replant, they grew that summer, but didn't flower until the next. I prefer these to another similar cultivar, Third Harmonic, which is orange-ier, and more likely to lean over. Love this bright yellow color with dark markings!

On Jun 24, 2008, GreeneLady from Oak Island, NC (Zone 8a) wrote:

I also have a few other varieties of Alstroemeria, but for some reason, the flowers are deformed on all of my Sweet Laura. This is the first year they have been in the ground, so I will give them until next year to see if they get better. The flowers opened up, but it looks like it has no petals, and the "flowers" are tiny.

On Jul 10, 2007, Illoquin from Indianapolis, IN (Zone 5b) wrote:

I love this one, too. It came through the winter with flying colors, which in Indianapolis is saying something. I had some electicians break off all the stems and had to quickly move the roots in the dead of summer in 90 degree temperatures and within a week the stems are a foot tall and have buds on them! The flowers are long-lasting as cuts and all in all I would say this plant is fantastic all around!

If I could find other Alstroemerias just as tough in pinks, reds,oranges, and rose colors I would be thrilled!

On Mar 29, 2005, sterhill from Atlanta, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Atlanta - I love this flower - yes, a bit invasive but so beautiful! If you need to dig it up, just dig deep and put the dirt in a wheelbarrow or box or plastic tarp to sift out the broken pieces of root. The flowers last very well in a vase and are soooo beautiful!!!

Cannot take the afternoon sun here in Atlanta - the leaves will bleach out.

On May 1, 2004, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote: