Persian Shield

Strobilanthes dyerianus

Family: Acanthaceae (ah-kanth-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Strobilanthes (stroh-bil-AN-theez) (Info)
Species: dyerianus (dy-er-ee-AN-us) (Info)

Partial to Full Shade

Mobile, Alabama

Montevallo, Alabama

Opp, Alabama

Yarnell, Arizona

Benton, Arkansas (2 reports)

Little Rock, Arkansas

Fountain, Florida

Gainesville, Florida

Interlachen, Florida

Inverness, Florida

Jacksonville, Florida (3 reports)

Labelle, Florida

Lake Mary, Florida

Largo, Florida

Maitland, Florida

Mulberry, Florida

Naples, Florida

Niceville, Florida (2 reports)

North Fort Myers, Florida

North Palm Beach, Florida

Ocala, Florida (2 reports)

Oldsmar, Florida (2 reports)

Orange Park, Florida

Palm Bay, Florida

Pensacola, Florida

Pompano Beach, Florida

Port Charlotte, Florida

Port Orange, Florida

Port Saint Lucie, Florida (2 reports)

Ruskin, Florida

Saint Petersburg, Florida

Sarasota, Florida

Sebring, Florida

Seffner, Florida

Spring Hill, Florida

Tallahassee, Florida (2 reports)

Tampa, Florida

Davenport, Iowa

Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Breaux Bridge, Louisiana

Chalmette, Louisiana

Lafayette, Louisiana (2 reports)

Mandeville, Louisiana

New Orleans, Louisiana (2 reports)

Pearl River, Louisiana

Memphis, Tennessee

Sweetwater, Tennessee

Alice, Texas

Arlington, Texas

Austin, Texas (4 reports)

Boerne, Texas

Brazoria, Texas

Carrollton, Texas

Corpus Christi, Texas

Dallas, Texas (4 reports)

Floresville, Texas

Fort Worth, Texas (2 reports)

Irving, Texas

Kingsland, Texas

Montgomery, Texas

Pasadena, Texas

Port Lavaca, Texas

Richardson, Texas

Round Rock, Texas

San Antonio, Texas (5 reports)

Snook, Texas

Spring Branch, Texas

Sugar Land, Texas

Tyler, Texas

Church Road, Virginia

Woodbridge, Virginia

Federal Way, Washington

On Jul 31, 2015, hymenocallis from Auburn, AL (Zone 8a) wrote:

Its started to be perennial in zone 8 now or at least I and several others have noticed this.

On May 8, 2015, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

Does well here in Boston as an outdoor summer container plant/bedding annual. Some sun is necessary here to bring out the stunning violet color in the leaves. In full shade, there is little color.

On May 7, 2015, lydianichol from Mulberry, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I found this beautiful plant in a garden that I visited last week and got a real nice picture of it. I tried to find the plant at Home Depot and they didn't have it so I asked if they might have seeds to plant and they didn't have seeds either. While visiting another nursery in the area looking at the roses I asked if they had the persian shield and they said they might have a few left so I bought this beauty. I transplanted it in a larger pot and put it in the shade. It is so beautiful. I plan to start cuttings of this and try to keep it in shade. I live in Mulberry, Florida so I know it will need mostly shade. I enjoyed reading other's coments about this lovely plant so I am sure it will do well for me.

On Sep 21, 2014, giegertree from Savannah, GA wrote:

This is a dieback herbaceous perennial in coastal SE Georgia for shadier sites with a rich, well-drained soil.

On Mar 30, 2014, Susan_C from Alameda, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I have this plant in a large container in bright shade. It winters over easily here and is vigorous and beautiful. Since it is known to be a heat lover, I was afraid it wouldn't like our cool, foggy climate. Not true. -Although, it did take a long time to get going, once it did, it really took off and is quite the happy plant.

On Jul 24, 2013, surfmurf from between Clearwater & Largo, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

My Persians were going great. To thin them out, I transplanted 3 to a spot that gets morning to mid-day sun (depending on the season). All was well until mid Spring. It was a steady decline from then-on for those 3 plants as their SUN exposure increased. Before Summer arrived they were gone - WHAAAAA! Obviously - they DO NOT like SUN. Actually, this was a good lesson, as I like Persians very much and I have way too much shade, which is a problem getting the garden-yard I wish in mid-west Pinellas county, Florida (zone 9, some say 9a and some say 9b - ???). Now I know where to put my Persians.

On Jul 10, 2013, ImpatientGardener from Bessemer, AL wrote:

This plant is tougher than I expected after reading up on it.
It has here (Alabama) done well once established. Seems to have deep root system and dies back in winter but comes back in the spring if planted in the ground. It even tolerates dry weather if shaded in afternoon. Sometimes in heat of day will droop slightly in sun, but perks back up even without watering. I love it and have rooted several in water very easily. I am potting one up now for a house plant to see how that does.

On Jul 2, 2013, ginseville from Seville
Australia wrote:

I'm interested to hear if other garden ears have found this plant dies after flowering? In Melbourne last year a whole lot of them flowered for the 1st time in years then they all died.

On Feb 7, 2013, BayAreaTropics from Hayward, CA wrote:

Usually a plant like this,when its rated "9a" on Dave's Garden? almost always means a Florida 9a. I was surprised to see mine take the California Jan 2013 cold just fine with minimal frost protection..ordinary shade by a tree protection. Not a single frosted leaf. And in bud now in February. Try it.

On Oct 7, 2012, Southernbell421 from Ocala, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

I don't have this plant in my garden yet- but plan to get some really soon. I hope that they will like the partial to full shade area I want to put them in. I hope also they will take the cold spells we are apt to get during the winter. I really love their color!
Wish me luck and any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

On Jul 26, 2012, Cahow from HARBERT, MI wrote:

As a landscape architect, it's critical to my continued business to have the "coolest, oddest, and rarest" plants in my customer's gardens. I've been planting this plant in containers in Chicago for over 8 years and every time it's in a Garden Walk, it quite literally is the "Talk of the Walk." People can NOT get enough of the colour, texture and...colour of the leaves! I use my client's gardens as Science Labs; I need to push the envelope on everything to see just HOW much sun/shade is too much. I've had this planted in dense "moss shade" all the way to 12 hours of blinding sun and the plant has performed wickedly well. In dense shade it stretches; in dappled shade/sun it is tight; in full heat/sun it's very tight but the colour does NOT fade, nor does the stress of the sun burn the leave... read more

On May 3, 2012, purpleinopp from Opp, AL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I had 4 of these in my yard in various places last year and they are all still alive this year. This is my favorite plant with the most purple leaves of any plant I've ever seen.

On Nov 30, 2010, AGCcutter from Dallas, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I have grown this plant off and on for 35 years. It is the plant that people will stop and ask the name of, a real attention getter. Here are my observations not otherwise listed in the culture and comments section.
#1 complaint from customers ( I used to be in the nursery business ) : "It died or looked so bad over the winter that I threw it out". Actually it goes into a semi-dormant state during which many of the leaves drop. This is also when most of the blooms appear. Much like Coleus, the blooms cause new leaves to be very small and undeveloped. For many years I cut them off thinking the rule for Coleus applied here. It does not. If you leave the blooms and mini-leaves on you will have a thicker more fully leafed plant in spring. Endure its straggly winter appeara... read more

On Apr 9, 2010, UrbanRobot from Miami, FL wrote:

I actually have a question. How will this plant do near a hot tub (about 5ft away) in a raised planter above a parking garage? I doubt much water will hit it, but occasionally there'll be some splashing for sure. I'm in South Beach, Zone 10b, and am concerned about any damage from chlorinated water spray. Thanks!

On Jan 19, 2010, darylmitchell from Saskatoon, SK (Zone 3a) wrote:

One of my all-time favourites! It's grown as an annual here in my northern climate. I've had success growing it in containers - it thrives in morning sun and afternoon shade. It makes a beautiful foil to brightly coloured foliage and flowers.

On Oct 29, 2009, dcalfine from Natick, MA wrote:

I keep a large pot of robust Persian Shield as a houseplant, underplanted with maidenhair fern for a beautiful color contrast. Monthly 10-15-10 feedings in growth season have promoted beautiful and enormous foliage. I keep it in a sunny window for the Persian Shield, which then provides the shade that suits the maidenhair fern. Regular waterings in well-drained soil complete the cultural context. But I have a question; does pinching the lead bud on a Persian Shield plant promote lateral budding, branching, and bushing, or does it lead to the demise of the stem that is pinched?

On Feb 16, 2009, jmorth from Divernon, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

Contrary to it's listed need of shade I've grown it where it gets more sun than not and it has performed well, even attained large size. Cuttings in fall are overwintered under basement fluorescents.

On Sep 14, 2008, joan30157 from Dallas, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

I have had my Persian shield for 3 years it is planted in the ground and has been root hardy in zone 7b. I have it growing under a large white pine. We had 3 snows last winter and I thought I had lost it. This June the Persian Shield remerged as if nothing had hapened. I guess plants don't always read zone charts! Mine does not like to dry out, and if it gets to much sun the purple will become washed out. A great plant for the shady garden. I have never seen flowers on mine.

On Sep 5, 2007, WaterCan2 from Eastern Long Island, NY (Zone 7a) wrote:

If you want an attention getter, this is it! I saw this in a catalog a year ago and never bought it, while browsing the local garden center I found one 2 feet tall in the corner, in a "too small pot". Took it home and transplanted it, with moisturizing granules. Now a month later it's 3 feet tall and bushy, doesn't take well to full sun, (starts drooping). It's moisture requirements are high so I'm glad I gave it the granules. Our winters are very cold here so I'm bringing it in for the 'deep freeze' soon. One of my favorites now and very easy to care for.

On Oct 13, 2006, dmci from Woodbridge, VA wrote:

Got my Persian Shield at Home Depot this summer after seeing two of the plants at a neighbor's. I fell in love with the plant on the spot. My Persian is almost 5 ft tall and approx. 3 feet wide. No flowers, but its leaves are approx 8 -10 inches long, ranging in light green to irridescent purple.
It is located in the back on the south-east side corner of my townhouse, which tends to be a partial sun/partial shade location. Like some of the other contributors to this column, found the folks behind the cash register to be ignorant as to what the plant was, so I hunted it down via the internet.
Plant is happiest with consistent damp soil ( between the output of our dehumdifier and using a container automatic watering kit).

I plan to bring it inside over t... read more

On Oct 8, 2006, shultman from Federal Way, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I purchased two large Persian Shield plants at Home Depot, without even considering how it would fare in the Seattle, WA area. They were so beautiful, that I fell completely under their spell. After I'd planted them, I found another slightly smaller plant at our local Walmart, so now I have three plants, all 2- 3 feet in height and width. They are nice, bushy plants (still growing new leaves at this late date) that seem to love the western exposure they enjoy in our front yard.

However, I'm very concerned as we go into our Pacific NW winters (generally pretty mild, but temps can drop below freezing at night). I've been entirely unable to find any recommendations for overwintering Persian Shields. Since they are so large, I hesitate to dig them up and put them in my gar... read more

On Aug 19, 2006, TLeaves from Ramona, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Thanks for all the tips about the best locations for PS's.

I saw the persian shield in a magazine and fell in love with the bright colors. It look a months to find the plant here in southern CA, even asking around at the local nurserys. But I finally found 2 small spindly plants.

I wasn't sure if they'd grow in my area since they were so hard to find, so I kept them in (slightly larger) pots and moved them to different spots in the yard to see what they might like.

I learned that the southern CA sun, even a little bit in mid-day will easily burn the leaves and change the color from the nice bright purple to a muted grey or even white. But, in the shade with regular water, they grow like mad!

It doesn't freeze here, so I am... read more

On May 20, 2006, StLgreenthumb from Saint Louis, MO wrote:

I picked up about ten of these stunning beauties from a local nursery, where traditional summer annuals were being bought buy the dozens while the Shield was left on the shelf. I looked at the card and was stunned to see the listed size. If this plant with such striking foliage actually fulfilled the claims it would be breathtaking. Spring sprung late this year in my zone, but the shield's are beginning to stretch. I have them close to the house with slight morning sun, all day shade and slight evening sun. Even at a mere 12 inches they are the focal point on the garden, and excite all that passby with any garden savvy to ask, where and how. As in to buy, and to grow. Remarkable plant.

On Feb 24, 2006, thymetogarden from Davidsonville, MD wrote:

"thymetogarden" Annapolis MD (Zone 7a)
This plant is a "must have." I have had it in two places, both providing morning sun with afternoon shade. I have not cut it back since I enjoy it towering from the back of the border. Artemesias and Mexican oregano are nice contrasts at the feet of this plant.

On Jun 24, 2005, JaxFlaGardener from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

Persian Shield is very easy for me to propagate. I just break off limbs when it gets leggy and stick the end of the limb into soil in a shady area that I can keep moist until the new plant is established. I like planting it with Tradescantia pallida, Tibouchina, and adding some yellow flowering plants for the cool and warm color contrast.

On Jun 23, 2005, sme135 from New Galilee, PA (Zone 5b) wrote:

I first found this plant last year at Wal-Mart's Garden Center entitled "Persian Splendor". I tried to look it up under that name and could not find any info on it. I planted it last year where it got some shade (not much) bordering my deck, and it got to be about three feet high and about three feet across. Everyone who saw it commented on it and I absolutely fell in love with the iridescent foliage. This year I found it at my favorite nursery/garden center (which carries some unique annuals) under the name Persian Shield. I planted it in the bed in front of my house where it will get some more sun, and we'll see how it does. I think the house will shade it some during the day, and the trees some, and considering I live in zone 5b I think it'll do alright.

On Feb 16, 2005, 32123 from Deland, FL wrote:

I have had my Persian Shield for 4 years. From reading all the above, I would say you have to try a spot before planting to see if that spot is worthy of this plant. I am not a pro Gardener, but work in the garden most days. I found that if I don't plant a new plant at first, just move the pot from place to place to see where "it" wants to grow, I have more success. My P.S. grows in morning dappled sun and by noon shade. This year, I have so many I left them out and covered cold nights. Yesterday I seen the first flower, small but beautiful. I cut them way back in the late fall, stick the cuttings in water and leave them over winter, plant or give away in early spring. One of the easiest plants to care for.

On Jan 22, 2005, jnn from Chapel Hill, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

This is a beautiful plant. It is planted as an annual in Zone 7, but we are experimenting with the plant and took clippings early this fall and they are overwintering inside quite well so far. In fact one of the plants started to bloom last week (January 17th).

On Jan 7, 2005, kitten_20012000 from Niceville, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I got two persian shields for mothers day from my boyfriend.
They were very full and a beatiful purple I transplanted them to bigger pots.and they grew to about 5 ft tall in the pots. They both were brought in when we had hurricane Ivan come thru.
I still have both of them although one of them took a beating when a sudden coldsnap came and almost killed both of them. One is doing alot better i see new leaves growing. The other is struggling although it only has a few leaves its still green on the inside. Im hoping it come back as it gets warmer. I have been piching them giving them food and plenty of water they need it here in this part of Florida.But i must say they are beautful plants and i love taking care of them Jennifer Niceville Florida

On Jan 7, 2005, Dogzilla from Tallahassee, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I found my plants at a local nursery. They were dying (in full sun) and were big sticks with bitty little leaves sticking out the top. I planted the poor sticks in dappled shade about a year ago and found them blooming in January, 2005! While we've had one hard freeze this winter, these particular plants are protected from wind so I think they're in a little microclimate part of my yard.

I'd guess the sun vs. shade conflict is because of the zones where people try to grow. Zone 6 or 5 and the sun isn't strong enough to fry the plant, so it will do well in cooler climates in full sun. In the more southerly zones, the sun is stronger so the plants probably burn up in any more sun than partial shade. I find this to be true with a lot of plants that love sun up north but do bet... read more

On Jun 28, 2004, berthanoles from Tyler, TX wrote:

I live in Tyler TX (Zone 8) and my persian shield grew so fast and was so beautiful and colorful from the time I placed it in the ground in required little to no attention yet was flourishing and grew to almost 3 x 3 feet. Then last week, for no reason, it completely wilted. It has plenty of water and is in partial shade/sun...Any ideas or tips? Should I have pinched it earlier when it first got a little leggy? I just love this plant so any input on how I can bring it back or keep on alive longer in the future would be tremendously helpful - thanks!

On Jun 12, 2004, MrJinx from Belleview, FL wrote:

I just bought four of these beautiful plants for my garden, but I'm having a problem with finding out information on the shrub. I'm unsure of how the best way to care for or planting suituation I should place it in. Please help me!

On Jun 5, 2004, mshgtvangel from McDavid, FL wrote:

i bought 2 persian shields from home depot a couple of months they are dieing i put them out for morning sun hoping it would bring them back,watered lightly regularly no luck.i live in zone 8 fl near al state lines.i plan on visiting home depot,and exchanging them for new plants.i have purchased 12 inch pots,as well as drip pans for them a bag of miracle grow time released moisture top soil to use in the huge pots - i love them so much.leaves are falling off brown instead of the beautiful purple and green leaves.the woman working in the gardening section never wanted to be bothered well we shall what her supervisor says,when she hears i requested information about caring for them only to have eyes rolled at me and given an attitude from a sales person who clearly never wanted to be... read more

On May 26, 2004, maria1982 from Thorold

I did not know anything about this plant when I first bought it, and put it in a pot with petunias, in the full sun. It did very well! It withered for lack of water a few times,but it recovers very quickly. I will now try it in partial shade, but I can't imagine it doing any better than it is in the sun. I love it!

On May 22, 2004, robsdoggarden from Dallas, TX wrote:

I live in Dallas and have had one plant that is under a couple of Live Oaks come back two years in a row. The area is somewhat shielded, but we have had 20 degree temps. We have also had ice and snow, but only for a day or so.

On Oct 29, 2003, RoseRee wrote:

I live in New Zealand and have found this plant to grow inside really well. Unfortunatly we are a busy family and it does get a bit neglected but bounces back really well.

On Oct 2, 2003, janetteinatlant wrote:

I bought a 1 gallon pot at Walmart for $5.oo. It was overgrown so I immediately divided it into 3. That was about two months ago. All 3 are now about 3' tall and quite bushy. I love the colors. One is in dappled sun and 2 are in dense shade although the label said full sun.
I put water saver crystals in the holes when I planted them and have not watered them all summer. I plan to try
to protect them this winter with row cover sheets on the "trunks" and will also take cuttings and keep those inside.

On Aug 24, 2003, kimberlen from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I live in North Florida and planted two of these in the full shade of a juniper tree back in early May. I pruned them a little late, around mid July, but they quickly began to fill out. The colors are stunning. I planted caladiums in front, and elephant ears behind them, and the combination is beautiful. I just hope the winter is good to them.

On Aug 23, 2003, broozersnooze from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

BEAUTIFUL plant, almost irridescent leaves. I am totally confused, though. Some say only part shade others say only part sun. My mother gave me one years ago. I planted it in the shade. It died. My plant nursery sold me one last year for one section of my yard shaded by large oaks & gets a teensy bit of morning sun. It died. I bought another one about 4 months ago, put it in another one of my shade gardens. It did miserably & it's colors became very pale. I put it in my "full afternoon sun" garden about 1 month ago, thinking "what do I have to lose?" as it was beginning to die. It is now thriving beautifully & the colors are brilliant. Goes beautifully against my very large Hawaiian ginger plant, coleus & beefsteak plant. I container garden and in both instances the soil mix was the same.

On Aug 22, 2003, cynthiac from Watauga, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I love this plant! I have it growing with Coleus, Painted Nettle; they are stunning together. Also they like the same part shade, soil requirments, and moisture.
My mother took some back to TN with her, but had it in full sun. Hers did not make it. So I have cuttings rooting in water for her. They root very fast and easy.
Last year I over wintered it in the house, then cut it back very short. As soon as it was placed outside it started new growth very fast. The only care it really requires is good drainage, occasional fertilizer and I NEVER let the soil dry out completely, also not to much TX direct sun.
Has pretty blooms too.

On Aug 22, 2003, colson40 from Labelle, FL wrote:

I love it. It grows w/ little or no attention, although it does like to be shaded from mid-summer, south Fl. sun. Is frost resistent, but do not know about long, hard freeze. cuttings grow wherever you put them in soil.

On Aug 21, 2003, CatlyOne wrote:

After not seeing a specimin of this for many years, I ran across an apt.bldg. with 3 huge bushes of it out front! This was in downtown Atlanta GA. 4'tall and about 5'across! Full and bushy, the gardener said he always pinched the flowers back. I've come home to Tampa and found a 6"potted specimin; now I just have to get it in the ground. I'll find a place like Atlanta's; morning sun and afternoon shade. I LOVE this plant! Can't wait to try rooting all my cuttings!

On Jul 21, 2003, nipajo from Dallas, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I planted it in the shade and it is doing very nicely. I have one plant in dappled shade and it seems to be losing its deep purple, however the deep shaded one has great color.

I bought some from a nursery; they were tall and leggy missing most of their leaves and were very light purple. By the time I got them home the rest of the leaves fell off.

I have tried to propagate, I cut a piece and put a root stimulant on the ends and stuck it in some dirt and it died. Then someone at Calloway Gardens (in Georgia) told me that you have to treat them like Coleus and put the cuttings in water and let them root there, but they died, too. Perhaps I am doing this too late in the season.

On May 25, 2003, ranch45 from Interlachen, FL wrote:

OOOOOOOOH! This plant was one of my favorites; however; after reading others' comments, I realize now that I planted her wrong. I live in Morth Central Florida and the summers are brutal and the winter is less stressful (although it freezes here at leasr three times a year). Had I known that she grows as Coleus does --- I would have saved her from certain death (:0( and gave her a happy home!!!!

On May 25, 2003, SunshineSue from Mississauga, ON (Zone 6a) wrote:

A fabulous plant in the garden & a real attention grabber. Looks good with almost any other plant, but particulary terrific with lime green foilage plants & stripped or white- spotted green foilage plants. Prefers more shade than sun, but will take some morning sun. Pinch plant back if it gets too leggy. Dig up in the fall, plant in fresh potting mix, spray with insecticidal soap & try this plant indoors over the winter in moderate light situation rather than direct sunlight.

On Mar 19, 2003, vroomp from Marietta, GA (Zone 7a) wrote:

This plant is a must for any large garden area with moderate sun. Easily grown and insect resistant it gives great iridescent color throughout the growing season.

This plant is not hardy below 32, but cuttings grow well in pots for the winter with no special treatment. I not only saved this plant over winter, but got 10 more from cuttings off of it which rooted in less than 4 weeks (they almost outgrew their pots). Only Coleus cuttings have started as easily as this plant for me, but I would recommend using at least a 6" pot to start cuttings as they grow quickly.

On Sep 29, 2002, jcomy from Spooner, WI wrote:

I found a 2" pot with a small start of this beautiful foliage plant at a small rural nursery in May 2002. The owner did not know what it was but liked the color and texture of the plant. I could not resist bringing it home.

Because so little was known about it and no one recognized it, I decided to plant it in a container with a low growing dainty green ground cover. I placed it under a tree to the back of the garden. I used black loam soil and watered it with the rest of the flowers. It was fertilized with fish tank water once weekly. It grew into a lovely silvery tinged purple & green leafed foliage plant that gathered comments from all who walked about our garden.

I discovered its name one day by accident while viewing a gardening show on tv. We are... read more

On Aug 26, 2002, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Flower is insignificant, but foliage is a gorgeous metallic purple, very showy. Keep pruned at about 24". Prefers full sun to partial shade. Zone 8, root hardy, may loose leaves, cut back.

On Jul 30, 2002, MCecilioni wrote:

I love this plant. It practically glows in the garden. I have grown it under pine trees for two summers in dry conditions and it has done very well. Easy to root from cuttings.

On Aug 5, 2001, Deanne from Franktown, CO (Zone 5a) wrote:

Sow seed at 55-64 F (13-18 C) in spring. Root basal or softwood cuttings in early spring or early summer. Has short spikes of funnel shaped pale blue flowers in fall. Minimum temp 54F/12C.