PlantFiles: Variegated Garden Phlox
Phlox paniculata 'Nora Leigh'

Family: Polemoniaceae (po-le-moh-nee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Phlox (floks) (Info)
Species: paniculata (pan-ick-yoo-LAY-tuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Nora Leigh
Additional cultivar information: (aka Norah Leigh)

Pollen may cause allergic reaction

Pale Pink

Thumbnail #5 of Phlox paniculata by hczone6

Thumbnail #6 of Phlox paniculata by hczone6

Thumbnail #7 of Phlox paniculata by hczone6

Positive coriaceous On Jun 3, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

Grown primarily for its attractively variegated foliage. The variegation is more stable than that of most other variegated P. paniculata, though the occasional non-variegated shoot or seedling still needs to be quickly removed---it will be more vigorous than the rest of the clump and will eventually outcompete it unless removed.

The flowers tend to be overwhelmed by the foliage, and are not this cultivar's strong point.

The foliage is reasonably mildew resistant here.

Phlox paniculata pollen has low allergenicity.

Positive dayliliesofmine On Apr 22, 2012, dayliliesofmine from Kernersville, NC wrote:

I aquired this plant about 3 years ago. Although I chose it for the folage,I love the flowers.
This Phlox does not multiply as fast as others I have, but it stays in a nice neat cluster and I don't have to get rid of plants that pop up all over like the other varietys
Like the other Pholx it seems to need a lot of water during our hot summers,

Positive Klover On Dec 31, 2011, Klover from Cedar Rapids, IA wrote:

I've had this baby for many years- (at least 10) and I still love it. The clump has gradually gotten bigger over the years and one of these days I may need to divide it. The flowers are not real showy but it blooms mid-summer through the fall, and the foliage looks good year-round. It is a yummy deer snack (flowers only) so when it starts to make buds I keep it sprayed with repellent. I am usually under-impressed by the fortitude of variegated cultivars but this is an exception. I have rarely had to remove a "plain" stem.

Positive 705Muskoka On Aug 16, 2010, 705Muskoka from Huntsville

I've had this plant in my zone 4 garden since 2001. I have had great luck with it. The flowers are very fragrant and have large panicles if it gets regular water. The leaves are still very variegated. It is blooming now August 15, 2010

Positive mairenn On Apr 21, 2010, mairenn from Monroe, GA wrote:

In full sun 7b, near the air conditioner drip line, this got over 3 feet high and very full. The scent was gorgeous. Unfortunately I've let it get shaded out, it's shorter and thinner, and the variegation has disappeared...but it's tougher than nails, and just keeps coming back with zero attention. Here's hoping I have time to move it to a better spot!

Neutral Bellisgirl On Feb 6, 2007, Bellisgirl from Spokane, WA wrote:

Ive had this plant for several years. It has never gotten very big, which it unusual since I have many other large phlox. The flowers are not very showy; deffinantly not one of my favorites. I will say that it does have lovely varigated foliage though.

Positive JaxFlaGardener On Jul 5, 2006, JaxFlaGardener from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have had this plant return for a couple of seasons now. It never grows to reach much heighth, and though it flowers nicely, I am not greatly impressed by the performance of garden phlox in my Zone. I am on the borderline of Zone 8b/9a and all of my garden phlox seem to suffer from hot summers and warm winters. I am told by some DGers that visit my garden that having any success with garden phlox in this Zone is an achievement.

Jeremy

Neutral lupinelover On Jan 29, 2003, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

Seed will not come true.

Niceville, Florida