Morning Glory, Grannyvine 'Flying Saucers'

Ipomoea tricolor

Family: Convolvulaceae (kon-volv-yoo-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Ipomoea (ip-oh-MEE-a) (Info)
Species: tricolor (TRY-kull-lur) (Info)
Cultivar: Flying Saucers

Not Applicable

Seed is poisonous if ingested

Light Blue

From seed; stratify if sowing indoors

From seed; germinate in a damp paper towel

By air layering

Hawkinsville, Georgia

Norcross, Georgia

Farmersburg, Indiana

Shawnee Mission, Kansas

Grand Rapids, Michigan (2 reports)

Maryland Heights, Missouri

Weatherford, Texas

Fredericksburg, Virginia

Franklin, Wisconsin

On Jan 18, 2014, Mr_Monopoly from North Olmsted, OH wrote:

This is an absolutely gorgeous variety of Morning Glory. The colors do tend to vary on the flower, and all variations are wonderful! My personal favorite is the mostly white flowers with blue stripes.

On Jul 25, 2012, BobinCO from Broomfield, CO wrote:

It's early yet and this is the first time I've tried this plant. No Blooms yet but the vines are taking off like crazy! I've grown Heavenly Blue a couple of times and they were great. I got the seeds from Rare Seeds. I even got the T-shirt! I have some tomatoes growing from them as well- (Jersey Giant). The vines are growing vigorously despite the generally crappy Colorado soil. I've given them some blood meal and that's it. They seem to love that!

On Sep 28, 2009, DMgardener from (Daniel) Mount Orab, OH (Zone 6b) wrote:

WOW! This is a excellent varieity of MG. The groweth is vigorous, lush, and is a light pleasing green color. The flowers can be almost like Ipomoea tricolor 'Blue Star', with slight sky blue flecks or like 'Heavenly Blue' with flecks of light blue/white. The flowering is very slow to start, but when it starts, it just keeps getting better. One plant can produce 50 flowers a day!!!! I am not kidding!! Will be growing this one for a very long time.

On Jan 29, 2008, sunimrette from Zebulon, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I grew this last year in five spots around my porch- three plants did next to nothing, one had some late season growth, but one took off and practically took over half of my porch! Every morning it would be so covered in beautiful flowers- I once found my neighbor standing in my yard showing it off to one of her friends! I ended up having to trim it regularly to keep it off of the walkways and such. All from one little seedling.

On Jan 17, 2008, fburg696 from Farmersburg, IN wrote:

Every year I grow these they are very rewarding, I like coming outside when I wake up to be greeted with such a neat flower, great color. This is a good combination to grow with ' Heavenly Blue' since sometimes the 'Flying Saucers' throw out all white flowers you get solid blue,striped,solid white, and the 'blue star' looking flowers all seemingly on one plant.
I will always grow this plant, there is just something about it!

On Jul 14, 2007, Lenny59 from Medford, OR (Zone 8a) wrote:

Yep, I've been duped. Bought seeds of "Flying Saucers" at my local shop, they have turned out to be "Blue Star". Very pretty, but not what I was expecting. American Seed Co., packed for 2007.

On Dec 12, 2005, RON_CONVOLVULACEAE from Netcong, NJ (Zone 5b) wrote:

I am aware of 2 somewhat different forms of this cultivar,the earliest form which has the light beige seeds,has no rosey pigmentation at all on the stems and usually flowers earlier for me...the newer type,that I first saw circa.1988 has dark brown to black seeds,has rosey pigmentation on the stems and usually flowers later for me in my zone.

On Jun 13, 2004, WillowWasp from Jones Creek, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Very pretty bi colored flower, fast growing and one of the first to bloom for me several years in a row. Sets seeds readily and multiplies it's vines quickly. I will grow this one again.. :o)

On Jun 2, 2004, OhioBreezy from Dundee, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

"Flying Saucers" is definitely not "Blue Star"!!!! Flying saucers start off totally different as the seedlings stand tall, way taller than others. They have a striking blue and white striped theme going on, where some can be more blue, and others lean toward more white, but all seem to have the blue/white combination, unlike the "blue star". Mine grew up a wire 15 feet or so and the actual bloom sticks way out from the leaves on true "Flying Saucers"

On Nov 26, 2002, davidwhy wrote:

For the last 5 years or so, 'Blue Star' has gotten into the major seed wholesalers' farms of 'Flying Saucers'. To distinguish between them, remember 'Flying Saucers' has striking blue and white stripes all over it.