PlantFiles: Morning Glory, Grannyvine
Ipomoea tricolor 'Wedding Bells'

Family: Convolvulaceae (kon-volv-yoo-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Ipomoea (ip-oh-MEE-a) (Info)
Species: tricolor (TRY-kull-lur) (Info)
Cultivar: Wedding Bells

Not Applicable

Seed is poisonous if ingested

Violet/Lavender

Thumbnail #5 of Ipomoea tricolor by OhioBreezy

Thumbnail #6 of Ipomoea tricolor by OhioBreezy

Thumbnail #7 of Ipomoea tricolor by OhioBreezy

Positive lumom04 On Oct 25, 2009, lumom04 from Chesterfield, VA wrote:

From pods given by a friend, this gorgeous plant/vine grew 8' wide and 4' tall the first season. One morning I counted 93 blooms/pods.
I have been told it's called "wedding bells" however I can't find documentation to substantiate this. All research I've found states wedding bells are a "morning glory" family and are lavender/purple, these are pure white. The blooms have the appearance of the "angels trumpet" because of the spike on the outer edge of the bloom, but they do not smell the same. The blooms also emerge upwards rather than hanging down.
Can anyone give me more information for research?

Neutral Bairie On May 2, 2009, Bairie from Corpus Christi, TX (Zone 10a) wrote:

JL Hudson, Seedsman now has this seed for sale!

Positive gardenbugde On Sep 29, 2006, gardenbugde from Smyrna, DE (Zone 7a) wrote:

I was able to find seeds for Wedding Bells on Ebay, although it was later in the growing season. I started them indoors in peat cups and put them outside once they were a couple of inches high (in a pot). They did well, but as the nights have been colder, I've brought them inside and put them in a sunny spot in my living room. The first 2 opened on September 27th, 2006! I have four open today. They are the most lovely color of Lavender that I have ever seen, and I'm hoping to get seed to share. I too would love to see them in seed catalogs, but then, you would be spending an arm and a leg for them... but the cost may well be worth it!

Neutral zville123 On Feb 28, 2006, zville123 from Zanesville, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

Beautiful pictures! Hopefully the seeds will become commercially available soon. I've been having a tough time tracking them down. Not many people want to part with the seeds, I guess LOL! Denise

Positive ncmathsadist On Dec 1, 2004, ncmathsadist from Chapel Hill, NC (Zone 7a) wrote:

I grow pearly gates, heavenly blue and flying saucers on a trelllis in my yard in Chapel Hill. The warm summers here seem to agree with I. tricolor. I have grown varieties of I. nil here that seem to "burn out" in the midsummer. Moonvine thrives in this latitude. I start a few indoors and plant more about the first of May outdoors and have a long season of bloom until the nights get cool.

I would like to get seed for Wedding Bells. Anyone know where it can be obtained??

Positive OhioBreezy On Jun 2, 2004, OhioBreezy from Dundee, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

These grew easily from seed, and as Poppysue said, in order to "save" this beauty, we must keep it from other Ip. tricolor species so it doesn't revert back to "heavenly blue" or cross. Would love to see this in the gardening catalogs once again myself!!

Positive poppysue On Jan 21, 2003, poppysue from Westbrook, ME (Zone 5a) wrote:

The 'Wedding Bells' morning glory was introduced in 1962 Darold Decker. It's a mutation of the 'Heavenly Blue' that lacks the blue pigment so the flowers are a beautiful rosey shade of lavender. It has recently been brought back from near extinction. Perhaps it will find its way back into the seed catalogs once again. The vines grew vigorously and bloomed well for me. I planted a few in the ground as well a container and they all did beautifully.

To save seeds the plants must be isolated form other morning glorys to keep them from cross pollinating.

Carmichael, California