Tall Morning Glory 'Star of Yelta'

Ipomoea purpurea

Family: Convolvulaceae (kon-volv-yoo-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Ipomoea (ip-oh-MEE-a) (Info)
Species: purpurea (pur-PUR-ee-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Star of Yelta
Additional cultivar information:(aka Star of Yalta)
Synonym:Convolvulus purpureus
Synonym:Ipomoea purpurea var. diversifolia
Synonym:Pharbitis purpurea
Synonym:Ipomoea hirsutula

Not Applicable

Seed is poisonous if ingested

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

Carmichael, California

Newport News, Virginia

Lakewood, Washington

Parkersburg, West Virginia

On Jul 4, 2009, WayOutMan from Thomasville, NC wrote:

I have enjoyed this plant, but I never planted it. I moved it this new home, and these vines were sprouting everywhere (probably mixed in with the cheap rye grass they applied before I moved in). Last year I pulled all of the sprouts I could see up, and placed them in a tall bucket, and added a little dirt. The darn things grew until they crawled out of the bucket. These creepers even seeded while I forgot about them, so this year I just incorporated them into my landscape, but in pots!

On Aug 12, 2008, SlImCoGnItO from Colorado Springs, CO (Zone 5a) wrote:

My first MG ever, and I must say it's got me hooked.
The blooms are velvety; dark purple, with pink in the middle and white throats. A gorgeous bloom for sure.

It seems to bloom more in drier soil.

The bloom will begin to close at the first touch of full sunlight, but will last all day in overcast weather.

When the plant has nothing left to climb up, it will continue to reach upwards. Tendrils will wrap up around others that are higher.

I grow mine in a hanging container on the south side of my house; it recieves 6-7 hours of full sun each day.

On May 15, 2008, victorgardener from Lower Hudson Valley, NY (Zone 6b) wrote:

Disastrous mistake. beautiful flower, but now, six years later, I'm still pulling it up.

On Feb 8, 2008, distantkin from Saint Cloud, MN (Zone 4b) wrote:

Very easy to grow and flowered well into Fall here in Minnesota. Grew up and over the arbor, well out of my read (so I had to get a chair to collect all of the many seeds LOL)

On Sep 20, 2007, Dodsky from Smiths Grove, KY (Zone 6b) wrote:

This is a reliable bloomer and vigorous grower in my area (S. Central KY, zone 6b). Reseeds but isn't overly invasive. The flowers are very striking, especially in the morning when fresh. They appear silky and have a beautiful sheen to the surface of the blooms. The rich violet-purple background with the brighter magenta-purple star and white throat are an eye-catching combination. Blooms freely.

On Jul 16, 2007, zone5girl from Painesville, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

I planted this once and have have had it every year since. It reseeds like crazy, which is good or bad, depending on how many you want. I like it because I just pull up the ones I don't need.

On Aug 1, 2006, spklatt from Ottawa, ON (Zone 5a) wrote:

Star of Yelta is holding its own in long planters on my sunny, hot, windy, south-facing apartment balcony; you can almost see it growing, it's so fast, and the blooms are gorgeous. When it reaches the top of the balcony railing it either flops over the side, and blooms nicely there, or keeps climbing up a couple of shepherd's hook planters I've installed at the corners of the balcony. So far it hasn't stopped climbing (Aug. 1).

I used a sowing rate of one package of seeds for every 30-inches of planter length, which results in a good privacy screen. It's growing on plastic netting of 2-cm squares. The germination rate was well over 90%; I started the seeds indoors because I was impatient, but this is almost not necessary, they're so fast. Seeds were purchased from Ves... read more

On Nov 8, 2005, ineedacupoftea from Denver, CO wrote:

The most vigorous, shade tolerant, reseeding, drought tolerant, etcetera, etcetera of any cultivar I have grown. Mine makes quick juice of a fifteen-foot post with chicken wire.
I believe it to be bigger, stronger, more "bug" resistant and a little deeper color than 'Grandpa Ott.'
Has cold-tolerant seeds and these sprout in earlier/cooler weather than other morning glories.

I hereby confide that I have a secret world domination plot: I've scattered several cups of seed from this plant across almost a quarter mile of fence on a new neighborhood. (Don't worry, I've not set free a menace, it is easily controlled in my dry area.)

Wait around until next summer for a picture, and pray that the property owners do not spray!

On Sep 19, 2005, Texasbloomer from Plano, TX wrote:

Truly one of my favorites. The first to bloom and it comes back reseeding itself year after year in the same place! The blooms last for months and the vine is a monster-grower! The deep purple and that pink star are stunning. The blooms fade by late afternoon, but they are up with the sun and provide wonderful color.

On Jan 17, 2005, LilyLover_UT from Ogden, UT (Zone 5b) wrote:

'Star of Yelta' starts blooming earlier than any other morning glory that I've grown, and it continues all summer and into the fall. I start my seeds indoors in peat pots 3 weeks before the last frost date.

On Jul 11, 2004, onalee from Brooksville, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

These plants have a breath-taking bloom - you would think they were fake they are so beautiful and I have found them easy to grow in full sun or part shade. In full sun, the vines don't last as long as they will in part shade in my zone.

On Jul 11, 2003, Brinda from Yukon, OK (Zone 7b) wrote:

I have this vine coming up (not flowering yet) and I've only been growing MG's for a few years now, but I thought 'Star of Yelta' was the same as 'Grandpa Ott's'!

Editor's Note Star of Yelta has flowers that are very similar to 'Grandpa Ott's' but - according to some sources, at least - it is taller growing.