PlantFiles: Beefsteak Plant, Bloodleaf, Chicken Gizzard
Iresine herbstii

Family: Amaranthaceae
Genus: Iresine (ir-es-EYE-nee) (Info)
Species: herbstii (HAIRBS-tee-eye) (Info)

Inconspicuous/none

Variegated
Burgundy
Bronze-Green
Veined

Collect seedhead/pod when flowers fade; allow to dry

By poppysue

Thumbnail #6 of Iresine herbstii by vince

By Chamma
Thumbnail #7 of Iresine herbstii by Chamma

Positive jeroc On Oct 6, 2014, jeroc from Catawba, SC wrote:

A great plant in either Sun or part shade. The variegated red colored leaves compliment other plants. It needs to be pinched back often to keep from getting leggy, then just root these easily for more plants. I live in the piedmont area of South Carolina so I take a plant or two inside for the winter.

Positive yellowbird831 On May 9, 2012, yellowbird831 from Theodore, AL wrote:

I have numerous pots of this plant. I love it! Recently, I discovered that is is an herb ~ in the amaranth family! However, I can find no way to use it as such. If you know, please contact me!
Thanks,
Anita

Neutral bugraooo On May 5, 2009, bugraooo from Port Saint Lucie, FL wrote:

Bought as a potted plant in the fall. It's been kept in the shade of my screen room. It did well here over the winter, had numerous tiny white flowers. Now it is thinning out. I am in the process of transplanting to a dappled sun area, hoping it will thrive again.

Positive teamarnold On Mar 23, 2009, teamarnold from Missouri City, TX wrote:

I planted this last September from a small nursery pot and now, 6 months later, it is a 3' tall and wide bushy plant. It did fabulous over the winter months, we'll see how it handles the heat and humidity but so far it is an outstanding plant.

Positive Wim On Aug 11, 2008, Wim from Soest
Netherlands wrote:

This plant grows very well in Holland. From may until august you can keep it outside. From september until april you have have to grow it indoor.

There is a very interesting website about Iresine.

Positive zak1962 On Jan 22, 2008, zak1962 from Pittsburgh, PA wrote:

Love this plant here in Pittsburgh, PA. I've used it to good effect with Kong Coleus in a couple pots on my (primarily) shady front porch. It get's a little morning sun and thrives like you wouldn't believe. I have to start cutting it back in early July so as not to overwhelm the Coleus. Check it out in my pictures to the left.

Positive eden100 On Sep 12, 2007, eden100 from Edinburg, IL (Zone 6a) wrote:

Fabulous plant. I am more impressed with the one the dogs smashed because it grew back bushier, a very nice sprawling habit. The stems are smooth and and a beautiful shade of hot pink. I have grown in it dappled light and part sun. The leaves will fade to yellow if it gets harsh sun but it sort of appears verigated that way. It needs no special attention. I plan to dig it up and bring it inside to see what happens and plant more next year for extra color and interest.

Positive foodiesleuth On Mar 14, 2005, foodiesleuth from Honomu, HI (Zone 11) wrote:

We have had this plant in our garden for several years and trim it every once in a while just to keep it in shape.....we stick the trimmed parts in the ground and they will root in a short time. We do not give these plants any special care. The foliage is gorgeous among other plants, specially the contrast with black taro is stricking.

Positive Gareimah On Aug 10, 2004, Gareimah from Houma, LA wrote:

i live in houma la. and we love this plant it takes care of its self and even makes it thru our winters here . it is great to plant under low trees for more color to your yard and everybody will comment on how beautiful it looks...

Positive Cyndi1 On Sep 3, 2003, Cyndi1 from Atlanta, GA wrote:

I used Bloodleaf this summer in my Atlanta garden as an underplanting to Guara. The deep red of the Bloodleaf with the pale pink flowers and pale green stems of the Guara is lovely. Visitors always comment on how pretty the Bloodleaf is. The plant is extremely hardy; in fact, I find that it needs "grooming" almost weekly as it grows so fast. I will definitely use it again.

Neutral htop On Sep 2, 2003, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

San Antonio,TX
I have grown this plant as an annual for 3 years trying them out in various locations. The ones used in hanging baskets were okay because as the plant grew and they toppled over they looked okay. The ones planted in the ground in pure shade have required constant staking due to any strong wind or rain, squirrels, and cats knocking them over into a sprawling mess. Obviously, they needed more light. The ones planted in containers have had to be moved as the sun position changes because the color fades if any direct sunlight hits them. The colors are fantastic, but I will not buy them again. I must be doing something wrong; however, I have tried every light condition, different soil types, different types of fertilizer, pruning, etc. The plants have never been anything but lanky and fragile. In addition, their heat tolerance is very low and they require frequent watering.
Added Note: As the weather cools, my plants look fantastic. I guess I need to pinch them back every once in a while to keep them from becoming lanky. I may try them again.

Neutral poppysue On Jan 25, 2003, poppysue from Westbrook, ME (Zone 5a) wrote:

Iresine is a short lived and tender perennial grown primarily for it's striking foliage. Grow as you would a bedding annual and root stem cuttings to winter over indoors. It also is makes a colorful addition to container plantings.

Cottondale, Alabama
Bradley, Florida
Miccosukee Cpo, Florida
Palm Bay, Florida
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
Sarasota, Florida (2 reports)
West Palm Beach, Florida