Fountain Grass
Pennisetum alopecuroides 'Hameln'

Family: Poaceae (poh-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Pennisetum (pen-ih-SEE-tum) (Info)
Species: alopecuroides (al-oh-pek-yur-OH-id-eez) (Info)
Cultivar: Hameln

Roanoke, Texas

Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin

negative

On Jan 31, 2014, Rickwebb from Downingtown, PA wrote:

This cultivar, and pretty species from East Asia, is commonly planted in the Midwest and East US. This cultivar is more compact growing than the mother species, making a big rounded mound. It bears a large number of the bottlebrush type of flower-seed heads in later summer onward. It is soft and easy to dig up and reset when needed, as if the middle of the clump eventually dies out as is common with many clump grasses. It unfortunately can self-sow a lot. I think Fountain-grasses and Eulalia-grasses (Miscanthus) are over-planted and I'd like to see more native American species planted in American gardens, as Switch-grass, Dropseed, and Bluestems.

On May 28, 2012, JonthanJ from Logansport, IN wrote:

Here on the north edge of its hardiness range, on soils a bit heavier than it likes, this has done well enough for me. In the sandy soil in the garden at church, it did much better. I like to just burn them off on a dry day in March. The pugs like to play in the clumps.

It does appear that there are some seedlings. The species grows larger and makes more seedlings, but I planted this selection first and saw more clumps before I set out clumps of the species.

On Mar 16, 2012, chataine from Royse City, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Surely there are good places for this plant, but I am very unhappy with the landscaper who put four of them in my front beds. It gets huge--easily 4 feet tall and 5 feet across. Its a water hog. It self-seeds prodigiously. It grows in ever-widening concentric circles around a dead center. Its a great hotel for fire ants. It laughed at the grassy weed killer I poured on it. I finally had to dig them all out, and am still recovering from the whole experience.

On Jan 2, 2011, sueroderus from Bluffton, SC wrote:

This is one of my favorite grasses. Mostly because it is a true dwarf. It can be used in a lot of places that other grasses are too large for. Just a great looking grass that is easy to grow in my zone 8b.

On May 2, 2007, kizilod from Uxbridge, MA wrote:

I think this grass looks like a weed early in the season. I ended up moving mine to a less prominent place in the border where I can still enjoy the gorgeous inflorescences arching behind other plants. The grass turns a light tan color in the winter. The inflorescences do not last the entire winter, but hold together for several months after the first frost.