Black Fountain Grass
Pennisetum alopecuroides 'Moudry'

Family: Poaceae (poh-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Pennisetum (pen-ih-SEE-tum) (Info)
Species: alopecuroides (al-oh-pek-yur-OH-id-eez) (Info)
Cultivar: Moudry

Vieques, Puerto Rico

Cookeville, Tennessee

Missouri City, Texas

On May 7, 2011, steve2334 from Fort Mill, SC wrote:

This grass is a virulent self seeder in York county, SC. I had to re sod 40% of the lawn.

On Aug 29, 2010, aspenbooboo41 from Whitehall, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

Gorgeous grass with a lovely round arching habit. The foxtail blooms are beautiful and last a long time. Definitely makes a statement when in bloom ! My mature plant is approx 3' x 3'.
I have had this grass growing in zone 6a in partial to full sun for about 3 years and have had no problems whatsoever with self-seeding.

On Feb 15, 2010, LAdude from Des Moines, IA wrote:

I would like to use Moudry Black Fountain grass on a project in Des Moines, Iowa but the landscape contractors are telling me that it is not hearty in our zone 5a. How will this plant perform in Zone 5a.

On Jan 18, 2009, catcollins from West Friendship, MD (Zone 6b) wrote:

I planted two of these five years ago. They are very cute, but do also self seed steadily. I have given away several to folks who had trouble spots that didn't seem to grow anything and they did the trick. The volunteers do not travel too far from the parent, so they can fill in an area, if you wish. To control those that pop up in unwanted areas, use a foam brush to carefully paint on RoundUp without touching anything else. Soft straw color in winter is also pretty. I enjoy mine, but all in all, there are nicer, easier grasses.

On Nov 7, 2006, sallyg from Anne Arundel,, MD (Zone 7b) wrote:

Close call, but I'm going negative. It will do just fine right up next to a maple tree, where I can't grow much else. Will grow well in a lot of shade. Yes, pretty seed heads, but you'l have to cut them off to avoid self sow, and when the seeds come off the stem, they are spiny. Don't wear soft gloves or fleece, because they will insert themselves into it and give you hours of tedious picking. They'll get in your socks and shoes and poke you. I'm getting tired of weeding them out of my creeping phlox, and in a crack in between stones, you can't pull them.

On Jul 4, 2006, eopacich from Lafayette, IN wrote:

Horribly invasive here (Indiana). Has incorporated itself into my lawn. If anyone has any ideas for removing the thousands of blades from my lawn, please help?!?

On Mar 12, 2006, linjasar from Upper Saint Clair, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

Love this grass. It does self sow everywhere. I'm moving it along the woods beneath a PeeGee and Blue Spruce combo I saw in Fine Garening a few years back. It can self sow til it's hearts content. The black wooly plumes are worth it. I love it.

On Sep 18, 2005, edenawaitsme from Augusta, AR (Zone 8a) wrote:

I have only started growing this grass this year, but I really adore it. It is so graceful, and if it pops up everywhere then I'll have plenty to share ;).

On Jan 10, 2005, Badseed from Hillsboro, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

Gorgeous plant all year round! Self seeds like crazy if you don't dead head. I grow it despite it's seeding and just dig up any unwanted plants.

On Sep 27, 2004, vs71099 from Osage City, KS (Zone 5b) wrote:

I found one little instance of this plant tucked under my aggresive honeysuckle vine......... Doesn't appear to be invasive in my area and was a nice surprise.

On Jul 16, 2004, parkbob from Abilene, TX (Zone 7a) wrote:

We tried 'Moudry' two places with the same results. It hasn't been entirely reliable as a perennial and is very invasive by seed. Abilene, TX

On Sep 28, 2003, amorning1 from Islamorada, FL wrote:

In Hawaii

On Sep 30, 2002, IslandJim from Keizer, OR (Zone 8b) wrote:

Looks like a neat plant. Wonder where it's invasive?

On Sep 30, 2002, jkom51 from Oakland, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Be careful with this particular Fountain Grass. It is invasive and not recommended for rural plantings where it can easily escape. A handsome grass, but it reseeds itself very aggressively and some nurseries have stopped selling it.