Flame Grass, Eulalia, Maiden Grass, Zebra Grass, Chinese Silvergrass 'Purpurascens'

Miscanthus sinensis

Family: Poaceae (poh-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Miscanthus (miss-KANTH-us) (Info)
Species: sinensis (sy-NEN-sis) (Info)
Cultivar: Purpurascens
Additional cultivar information:(aka Autumn Red)
Synonym:Miscanthus sinensis var. purpurascens
Synonym:Miscanthus oligostachyus

Ornamental Grasses and Bamboo

This plant is resistant to deer

Denver, Colorado

Millington, Tennessee

Crockett, Texas

Wild Rose, Wisconsin

On Oct 15, 2015, wildrosepines from Wild Rose, WI wrote:

I like this grass. It is 4' tall and has taken YEARS to become well established. I have pure sand soil so that may have plenty to do with it. I started with 9 little sprigs of grass that I ordered in 2012. It has taken until 2015 to look decent. It never really becomes purple but the plumes it sent up are a sight to behold along with all of the structured things I have around it. Since I don't want to wait another 4 seasons to have more, I will cut this plant into quarters and move it around our property, keeping it in the lowest areas for the most water. Nice grass, I will look for more drought hardy ones in the future though.

On Oct 17, 2012, 00264167 from herne bay
United Kingdom wrote:

This has to be one of the most disappointing plants in the garden or that ive ever owned.
i spent a couple of years growing it to mature size and have never seen any of the famed autumn colour, it just turns brown and starts doing it 6 weeks earlier (or more) than miscanthus sinensis cultivars. last year the plant went brown very quickly after only one frost night.

it also has very little interest for the rest of the growing season as the foliage is dull and densely packed, it just sits there all year doing nothing and it seems to need alot of water and be less drought tolerant compared to other MS grasses, (even in average uk summers) otherwise it wilts/leave curls. I have read that it can therefore take a more shaded/damp position so ive moved mine and will see how ... read more

On Dec 20, 2011, JonthanJ from Logansport, IN wrote:

I like the rusty winter color and the smaller scale, but this variety brings up a problem that several Miscanthus varieties share. It wants to have water just as things turn kind of dry around here. They all make a slow start in the spring and then grow in June, July, and August filling in nicely as a lot of other stuff goes over. They can make good fall color if they continue to get plenty of water down into October. Of course, well established clumps develop serious roots so you may see better color on older clumps.

On Aug 27, 2006, chiron from Midland, MI (Zone 5b) wrote:

I planted this grass two years ago. The first spot it was shaded out by larger plants so I moved it into a more open area. This year it has grown very well and is sending out flower heads at the end of August. It didn't color much last year, but I have hopes for it this year.

On Oct 23, 2004, lmelling from Ithaca, NY (Zone 5b) wrote:

This cultivar not quite as graceful as some of the others, but the color is lovely in fall - a reddish purple. The plumes take on a whitish appearance and appear towards early fall.

This was one of the first types I planted. I had them in a fairly wet area in spring, but found that they didn't seem to be doing well so I replanted to their present location on a moist but well drained slope in one of my gardens. It's been here in this spot for 3 years and doing well. Growth appears slow, but they put on a nice show that will stay through the winter for interest.