Eulalia, Maiden Grass, Zebra Grass, Chinese Silvergrass
Miscanthus sinensis 'Zebrinus'

Family: Poaceae (poh-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Miscanthus (miss-KANTH-us) (Info)
Species: sinensis (sy-NEN-sis) (Info)
Cultivar: Zebrinus

Charleston, West Virginia

Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin

negative

On May 30, 2013, JudyNoIdaho from Deary, ID wrote:

I planted 5 Miscanthus sinensis 'Zebrinus' plants about 5 years ago, and they have thrived and performed nicely! I've been very pleased. Even though my area is considered Zone 5, we are right in the mountains, so some winters are much colder. Consequently, I really have to plant for Zone 4. I was dubious they would survive, but I planted them against the garage wall with western exposure. Because of the garage they are in the shade until mid morning, but then they receive sun the rest of the day and get the really hot afternoon west sunlight. They seem to love it! I've never pampered them, and only cut them back in the early spring. I've never divided them. The soil is amended clay, so not great soil either. They do get regular water twice a week from the sprinkler system which he... read more

On Jun 30, 2011, ctlandscaper from Long Hill, CT wrote:

Zebra Grass is no doubt my favorite of all ornamental grasses. This is a fairly fast-growing grass, achieving 6' in height and 4' in width in just a couple years. My two zebra grasses are over 8 years old and still performing beautifully! They grow well in locations that receive at least 4 hours of sun per day. GREAT visual interest for every landscape.

On Jun 2, 2010, BJames1 from Elizabeth City, NC (Zone 8a) wrote:

This was the first ornamental grass I dealt with when I dived into gardening. My original planting is still going strong, despite having not been divided or given any special attention (except for an annual haircut to remove dead foliage when I happen to not overlook it) for 10+ years! I really like the horizontal banding of the leaf blades, but the habit of 'Zebrinus' is not the best. Basically, it flops--both figuratively and literally. It will stand strong when it first emerges and continue as such into the summer but the closer it gets to plume time, the more and more it flattens out. I do like my 'Zebrinus,' but I wish it stay more upright like its cousin 'Strictus.' Still a fine grass!

On May 13, 2010, vmadison from Louisville, KY wrote:

My zebra grass is growing well, but it has no stripes. Has anyone experienced this? If so, what causes this? I have had it in the same place for many years and it has always done well there. Thanks.

On Jan 15, 2010, kutzy from Carlisle, PA wrote:

I really like zebra grass and it is so easy to divide the clump and transplant new ones.

However every fall after it is 6 feet tall and the first big rain storm or wind, all the stalks bend over.
I was wondering to prevent them from bending, could I cut back to a couple feet mid-summer so they don't get so tall and leggy?

On Jul 13, 2007, Meig from Far Northwest 'burbs, IL (Zone 4b) wrote:

I cannot grow this grass at all. I have planted it three times in three different spots and each time it has not survived the winter. It would be growing gangbusters during the warm season then never come back the next spring. I guess it does not like the winds I get here on the "prairie".

On Apr 1, 2006, Suze_ from (Zone 7b) wrote:

Easy care grass. not invasive (a clumper), likes to be divided every couple of years. Gorgeous horizontal striations, attractive plumes in the fall. Nice winter interest.

On Jan 16, 2006, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is my favorite Miscanthus, and one of my favorite grasses. The striped foliage is so fascinating, and the plumes are icing on the cake! This is a grass that just about anyone would appreciate.

On Sep 2, 2002, darius from So.App.Mtns.
United States (Zone 5b) wrote:

I love this grass in my garden, esp. with a spotlight on it at night for parties. Grown best as a specimen plant in full sun.

This deciduous broadleaf grass has long arching foliage with horizontal yellow bands and sends up flowering plumes in late summer to fall. Keep moist but not soggy during growing season and cut to the ground in late winter. Will tolerate soils from sandy and loam to clay.