PlantFiles: Indian Hawthorn, India Hawthorn
Rhaphiolepis indica

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rhaphiolepis (raf-ee-oh-LEP-iss) (Info)
Species: indica (IN-dih-kuh) (Info)

Synonym:Raphiolepis indica

Pale Pink

Remove fleshy coating on seeds before storing
Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

By dave

By Jeff_Beck
Thumbnail #6 of Rhaphiolepis indica by Jeff_Beck

By Jeff_Beck
Thumbnail #7 of Rhaphiolepis indica by Jeff_Beck

Positive GardenSal On May 21, 2010, GardenSal from Chincoteague Island, VA wrote:

This palnt was in our garden when we purchased the house in Jan 2008. It was in a northern facing location and very spindly. I moved it to a southern facing location and fed it with Holly-Tone. Last year it had more leaves, and it did not bloom. I fed it with the Holly-Tone once in early spring and once in early fall. This year, it's beautiful! It is lush, with dark green leaves and it is covered with pink blssoms. The butterflies are going wild over it! I'm glad I perservered with it, as it is one of the most beautiful plants in our garden.

Positive RonDEZone7a On Jan 19, 2008, RonDEZone7a from Wilmington, DE (Zone 7a) wrote:

This plant is not common in northern Delaware (Zone 7a) where I live but, as I was looking for a low-growing broadleaved evergreen that took full sun, I gave Indian Hawthorne a try. I have it planted on the south side of my brick ranch home, where conditions have been too sunny and dry (in summer) for plants like azaleas to be happy. So I was hoping, being a southern plant, Indian Hawthorne could take these conditions and it has done well.

The first winter in the ground, some of the foliage got a little beat up and browned by spring - and it didn't bloom last spring - but this year (after second winter in the ground), it looks much better and bloomed nicely this past spring. The plant itself has never had any major dieback so I would say the plant is hardy in Zone 7a, once established, if well sited. Overall, I achieved the look I wanted with this plant and I am happy with it.

Positive chollyjohn On Mar 29, 2007, chollyjohn from Richmond, VA wrote:

I have know of this plant since 1982 living in Jacksonville, FL. and fell in love with its temperament. Since 1987 have used it in Richmond, VA for many landscape installations and at my residence. Mostly plant Elenor Tabors variety. Trouble-free and a very rich looking plant, love the dark leaves and abundant flowers. Most years get Spring and fall blooming which is a plus. The dark blue berries for the fall are a wonderful accent to the winter landscape.

Positive dkturngren On Mar 11, 2007, dkturngren from Nahunta, GA wrote:

I noticed that soil preference for Indian Hawthorne shrubs was "unknown." They prefer acidic soil and do best with fertilizers used for acid-loving plants.

Neutral theresamendoza On Jun 9, 2005, theresamendoza from Hesperia, CA (Zone 8a) wrote:

I see this plant growing happily in my zone 8a area but I have compacted clay-caliche soil in my garden and even with added soil improvement, the white flowered Indian Hawthorne is very slow growing and not as beautiful as I see a few miles from here where the soil tends to be more sandy.

Negative verdancedesign On Jun 7, 2005, verdancedesign from Palo Alto, CA wrote:

I recently had a large installation of Rhaphiolepis in Danville (CA) quickly decimated by deer. Otherwise it grows well throughout the Bay Area.

Positive JaxFlaGardener On May 1, 2005, JaxFlaGardener from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I've collected five Indian Hawthorne plants that I found them on sale as nursery end-of-season rejects or from other gardeners that were tossing them in favor of new plants. All of the plants have survived, thrived, and were attractive this year with their early Spring flowering.

Neutral dumPLANTproject On Apr 30, 2005, dumPLANTproject from Arlington, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

my plant is pretty i like it, but all its flowers are out of bloom now and i need them to re-do my stupid plant project. oh well

Negative trugreen On Mar 2, 2005, trugreen from San Diego, CA wrote:

in my areas i have serious problems with leaf spot and leaf loss.in some areas four to five shrubs looks great then next two shrubs are deseased looking and severe leaf loss.

Positive Paulwhwest On Apr 30, 2004, Paulwhwest from Irving (Dallas area), TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Beautiful plant! The foliage is attractive all year around, and the flowers cover the shrubs in spring. It does have some problems with fungi so you should plant it in a place that has good air circulation.

Positive careyjane On Apr 23, 2004, careyjane from Rabat
Morocco wrote:

This is a great plant for seaside gardens where its thick leaves resist salt laden winds. I also find it useful for creating a Japanese like feel to certain parts of the garden.

Positive MotherNature4 On Apr 19, 2004, MotherNature4 from Bartow, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

A popular landscape shrub in central Florida, Indian Hawthorn has several cultivars. One is a dwarf that can be planted as a ground cover.

Positive angelam On Apr 18, 2004, angelam from melbourne
Australia wrote:

This is a great plant for a dry area. We are zone 10. The plant is never watered and never has a problem. It keeps a handsome shape, is lovely in Spring with its pink flowers and then has blue-black berries in Autumn.

I do find the branches more brittle than some, so be gentle when working round it.

Positive kabloom On May 30, 2003, kabloom from Alpharetta, GA (Zone 7a) wrote:

I have an Eleanor Tabor Indian Hawthorne. They are supposed to be a little more resistent to leaf spot, but they still get some in the spring. Beautiful pink flowers.

Positive jkom51 On Nov 20, 2002, jkom51 from Oakland, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

An outstanding evergreen garden shrub, useful for urban gardens as most varieties are 5' or lower. Can be pruned easily to stay even smaller. Only R.'Majestic Beauty' is large (15'). Nice flower sprays with small, dark blue berrylike fruit. Few pests, sometimes aphids or leaf-spotting in cold wet weather. Will accept infrequent or lawn watering, but in desert areas best to provide some shade. 'Ballerina' has pink flowers, stays low and compact (about 2'T x 4'W). Leaves have reddish tinge in winter. 'Hines Darkleaf' has coral pink flowers, averages 6'T x 4'W, leaves are very dark-green and glossy.

Mobile, Alabama
Irving, Texas
Katy, Texas
Kerrville, Texas
Port Lavaca, Texas
San Antonio, Texas (2 reports)
Chincoteague Island, Virginia