Opium Poppy, Breadseed Poppy, Lettuce Leaf Poppy 'Lauren's Grape'

Papaver somniferum

Family: Papaveraceae (pa-pav-er-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Papaver (puh-PAY-ver) (Info)
Species: somniferum (som-NEE-fer-um) (Info)
Cultivar: Lauren's Grape

Not Applicable

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

Mill Valley, California

Columbia, South Carolina

Vancouver, Washington

Wild Rose, Wisconsin

On Jul 4, 2012, wakingdream from Allentown, PA wrote:

I saw the Lauren's Grape Poppy highlighted on TV by its developer, Lauren Springer Ogden. I believe she was living in Colorado at the time.

She pulled out every non-purple poppy for years until every one that self sowed was this rich purple poppy, and stable. I grew them awhile back for about 4 years in a row, then I lost them from laziness! Their form and color were eye catching and reminded of Lauren's tenacity in managing her poppy collection to get to this point of perfection.

My seed source originally was Select Seeds. Not sure if they still offer this variety or not. Zone 6 PA

On Jul 18, 2010, Oberon46 from (Mary) Anchorage, AK (Zone 4b) wrote:

Absolutely gorgeous. I planted seeds two years ago, and this summer found that Laurens Grape must have crossed with the dark red poppies I have because I have some that are a cross in color, sort of deep purple with reddish tones, and subtle dark edges. I bought tags this summer that will hold up in weather and am tagging each kind, purple, red, pink, singles and doubles. I will sew these in the fall in totally separate parts of my garden, although the bees will migrate throughout cross pollinating at will. lol. I like the effect of keeping the colors separate. Wonder if they can cross with the orientals? Anyone know?

On Sep 5, 2008, CurtisJones from Longmont, CO wrote:

From your friends at Botanical Interests: Seductively dark, purple-violet blooms grace this stunning poppy. They reach 2'-3' tall with 2" flowers that bloom in succession. There is a local legend that renowned Colorado Garden Writer, Lauren Springer, planted some poppy seeds from a bagel and discovered this unique variety. In reality, this experienced Horticulturist spent years culling the seeds from the most beautiful purple poppies growing in her garden - knowing that both new and experienced gardeners would appreciate its superb beauty.

On Nov 20, 2006, Fleurs from Columbia, SC wrote:

'Lauren's Grape' is simply stunning with its deep purple bowls. The foliage is attractive, too, unless saving seeds is important. To avoid having to look at the foliage in its bedraggled state, I plan to plant my 'Lauren's Grape' behind my 'Crimson Pygmy' Barberries next Spring.

In my South Carolina garden, 'Lauren's Grape' makes a lovely echo with Sweet Williams.

On Nov 12, 2002, poppysue from Westbrook, ME (Zone 5a) wrote:

'Lauren's Grape' is a deep purple-grape color that has been selected from a mix by Lauren Springer. For several years she diligently culled out all other colors from the mix to keep this color pure and from crossing with others. It's a beauty!