Nasturtium 'Alaska Mixed'

Tropaeolum majus

Family: Tropaeolaceae
Genus: Tropaeolum (tro-PEE-oh-lum) (Info)
Species: majus (MAY-jus) (Info)
Cultivar: Alaska Mixed

Gold (Yellow-Orange)

Pale Yellow

Collect seedhead/pod when flowers fade; allow to dry

Ashdown, Arkansas

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

West Warwick, Rhode Island

Mcallen, Texas

Rockport, Texas

Salt Lake City, Utah (2 reports)

Cascade, Virginia

Springfield, Virginia

Charleston, West Virginia

On Jan 6, 2013, RiverNymph from the Mountains, CO (Zone 4a) wrote:

Because I'm planning on growing this, I wanted to share a comment about this plant from The owner of the website says, "The leaves are marbled green and white and are very tasty to mix in to a salad. They have a strong peppery flavor akin to watercress or arugula. The flower color varies from cream through to red. This variety is a short mounding type good for in the ground or pot. Nasturtiums dont like summer heat. Ive found growing them in the part shade works well during the hot months". Has any one eaten it yet? D-Mail me if so. I'd like to know how it was. :)

On Apr 10, 2009, ericabelle from West Plains, MO (Zone 6b) wrote:

This is a plant that I would not do without in my garden. I plant it from seed every year, soaking the seeds the night before. I have found that if I plant it in really good, compost-rich soil, that it does not bloom much; but it really grows into a huge plant. If I plant it in our poor clay soil it blooms prolifically! And the foliage looks nice, too, in this soil - it just doesn't get so huge.

On Oct 22, 2008, artemiss from Toledo, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

A favourite of mine, I love the large variegated leaves, and I agree, the variety I had seemed to be a "vining" type as well.
Propagation tip:
I have found the seeds sprout much better if soaked in warm water the night before you plant them.

On Apr 4, 2007, NacMacFeegle from Springfield, VA (Zone 6b) wrote:

Two years ago I tried to grow some and no luck. Someone recommended rubbing the seeds with coarse sandpaper and soaking them before planting so I did so last year and had a bumper crop of plants. The catch is that I have really poor, dry clay soil... and they loved it too much. The stated height on the package and everywhere says ~12". Mine were almost 24" tall! The ones in front of the bed flopped over onto the sidewalk but then the others just stood up leaning against them. My neighbors wanted to know what I fed them with and all I could say was "That's what I think right.... I didn't feed them at all." The leaves also made a happy home for the local aphid population, keeping the pests away from my more tender plants so I was pleased. And the aphids just washed off before I used t... read more

On Aug 27, 2005, tiffanya from Sumner, WA (Zone 8a) wrote:

For me, the third time is the charm...

The first year I tried growing these was a bust -- the location was too dry and too buggy. Little black flying creatures attacked it.

I tried them again last year. Again, planting from seed...the whole package of seed. Two plants made it. I let them go to seed on their own at the end of the season.

This year has been an absolute delight! They came up on their own and look pretty healthy. Several colors -- reds to oranges; green and green/white spottled leaves. They live beneath the canopy of the sunflowers and seem to enjoy the partial shade environment. (Zone 8a, Western Washington)

On Jan 27, 2003, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

A favorite because of its variegated leaves and smaller growth habit.

On Aug 19, 2002, cmb wrote:

Sowed these seeds in a small area of my English Garden five, yes, five years ago. They appear every year and the variety of colours amazes everyone. I weed them out of the spots they shouldn't be in but train them up trees, spikes etc you name it, they'll climb it. A riot of colour that disappears with the cold but reappears next summer. Perfect for every empty space but WILL be invasive.