PlantFiles: Scarlet Star Glory, Orange Morning Glory
Ipomoea coccinea

Family: Convolvulaceae (kon-volv-yoo-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Ipomoea (ip-oh-MEE-a) (Info)
Species: coccinea (kok-SIN-ee-uh) (Info)

Synonym:Quamoclit coccinea
Synonym:Mina coccinea

Not Applicable

Orange
Red-Orange

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

From seed; germinate in a damp paper towel

By poppysue

Thumbnail #6 of Ipomoea coccinea by Dinu

Thumbnail #7 of Ipomoea coccinea by Dinu

Neutral Dinu On Jul 13, 2014, Dinu from Mysore
India (Zone 10a) wrote:

It reseeds profusely. The flowers are slightly late to fully open. They are yet to open when other morning glories are nearly about to close up. Very attractive tiny flowers.

Neutral hedgewitch48 On Oct 5, 2012, hedgewitch48 from Hardy, AR wrote:

I found this plant this weekend in Carrol County Arkansas near the town of Beaver on the tailwaters of Table Rock Lake. It only had couple of blooms but I found lots of seed and gathered some to sow in my hummingbird garden next spring.

Positive ColibriGardener On Jun 19, 2009, ColibriGardener from Baker, LA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Excellent hummingbird plant. It is reported to be a nuisance plant for Soy Bean farmers in Louisiana.

Neutral RON_CONVOLVULACEAE On Jan 28, 2007, RON_CONVOLVULACEAE from Netcong, NJ (Zone 5b) wrote:

Ipomoea coccinea has seedpod pedicels that reflex
in contradistinction to the seedpod pedicels of Ipomoea hederifolia which remain erect.

Please consider this important taxonomic key to differentiating the often cross misidentified species.

Neutral lupinman On Sep 15, 2006, lupinman from Opelika, AL wrote:

It is beautiful, and I saw it growing wild in a ditch area next to the EV Smith Res. Ctr. Beef Unit. My colleague said that hummingbirds love it. I suspect it could become a menace in the ideal shrub/flowerbed with mulch, just like the other morning glory species. Cypressvine also does well here, and reseeds well; there are a group of vines growing year after year up rocks next to the railroad tracks on Hwy 14. I would not grow either vine next to farmer's fields, especially peanut and cotton.

Positive JaxFlaGardener On Jul 29, 2005, JaxFlaGardener from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

It is a struggle for me to keep this plant from overtaking anything in my yard that it can climb, but I will still give it a positive rating because it, along with Ipomoea quamaclit (Cypress Vine) have attracted hummingbirds to my yard. I saw the first hummers this summer and they have been exclusively feeding at the trellis with these red flowering vines. I thought I had eliminated most of this vine when I saw it sprouting this year, but it only takes one or two vines to spread quickly, flower, and leave lots of seeds for next season, often far away from the original plant.

I begin to see them sprouting by self-seeding around March or April here in NE Florida and they are 6 to 10 ft tall and blooming by June. If anyone wants a seedling early some year, send me an E-mail around March or April and I'll send one or more of the plants to you if you pay the postage. With an early enough start, they should grow and bloom for you in most climates and you should be able to gather and store seeds for future years if you are in cold climates, or just stand back and watch them take over in the sub-tropics/tropics.

Positive Windy On Apr 2, 2005, Windy from Belleville , IL (Zone 6b) wrote:

I acquired seeds for this plant several years ago in a trade on a garden site. The leaves cover chain link fence really well. The plant flowers near the end of the vine so you have leaves covering the fence and loads of orange toppling over the top of it where hummers can easily and do visit often.

Positive melody On Jan 29, 2005, melody from Benton, KY (Zone 7a) wrote:

Reseeds with abandon and covers my front porch railing every year.
The plants that volunteer are a bit late to get started, as they are on a spot that is in the shade most of the day, but even on the East side, under an overhang, I have a lovely show until frost...and beyond, if it isn't too cold, due to the protective overhang.

Positive crimsontsavo On Jan 6, 2005, crimsontsavo from Crossville, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

After much talk with a friend I realised we have had this vine for many years- It grows all over our yard. Self seeds rampantly and the birds love it. Butterflies and hummingbirds are attracted to this one like mad. A good staple for any wild gardens- or anywhere you want hummers and butterflies. Does well in hot dry climates.

Positive rh3708 On Jan 6, 2005, rh3708 from Westmoreland, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

This will be my first year to grow this M.G. it is about 5 weeks old now in a small pot under a H.P.S. grow light.
I loved the pic's i saw of this M.G. and had to add it to my collection.
I think I will Enjoy this Vine.
Happy Gardening
Robbie

Positive Whisper On Nov 2, 2004, Whisper from Natchez, MS wrote:

Red Morning Glory mixed with the beautiful cypress vine.
I found this growing wild in one place only, in my area. So I waited and watched till I saw seed pods.
I can't seem to find it anywhere on the web. To properly identify it. So any help is welcomed. It grows just like any other Morning Glory. And is just beautiful. You should see the butterflies they attract. I have harvested some seed for next year. And plan to scatter them around so more people can enjoy them.

Positive OhioBreezy On Sep 14, 2004, OhioBreezy from Dundee, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

Such a lovely color!! Covered with tons of blooms. The hummingbirds are drawn to the color and keep coming back for more!! Wonderfully fast grower here.

Neutral CatskillKarma On Sep 6, 2004, CatskillKarma from West Kill, NY wrote:

I planted seeds outdoors after the frost-free date here--Memorial Day weekend. Even though I soaked the seed, not one sprouted. We have had an unusually cool wet summer here in the Catskills. I am guessing that this cultivar just needs warmer weather than we've had.

Positive cbo014 On Sep 5, 2004, cbo014 from Mocksville, NC wrote:

To my surprise, I found this pretty and very dainty flower growing in my vegetable garden.

Positive suncatcheracres On Nov 9, 2003, suncatcheracres from Old Town, FL wrote:

Yesterday I saw this beautiful little wildflower growing near a bridge over the Steinhatchee River, in Dixie County, Florida, just a few miles from the Gulf of Mexico. It was growing along the side of a dirt road at the approach to an old wooden bridge, in almost pure sand. The flowers were much smaller than regular morning glories, but the leaves were rather large and deep green, perhaps due to a lot of recent rain. The intense color of the small flowers really caught your eye, and there were lots of Cloudless Giant Sulphur and Zebra Longwing butterflies fluttering all among the plants, landing on the tips of the flowers for nectar. Unfortunately none of the little green seed pods were ripe enough to collect.

Neutral noxiousweed On Nov 8, 2003, noxiousweed from El Sobrante, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Known as ORANGE NOAH or WILD RED Morning Glory, this is an unusual version of the popular flowering vine. Not as showy but just as intense a reseeder.

Opelika, Alabama