PlantFiles: Voodoo Lily
Amorphophallus bulbifer

Family: Araceae (a-RAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Amorphophallus (a-mor-fo-FAL-us) (Info)
Species: bulbifer (BULB-ee-fer) (Info)

Bulbs

Mottled

Remove fleshy coating on seeds before storing

By arsenic

Thumbnail #6 of Amorphophallus bulbifer by TomH3787

By TomH3787
Thumbnail #7 of Amorphophallus bulbifer by TomH3787

Positive FlGardenKid On Aug 6, 2014, FlGardenKid from Palm Coast, FL wrote:

This is an amazing tropical accent plant great for any area of the garden full sun to shade! I have baby one that stands about two foot tall and i have had it for about 3months and its doing great! My friend has the parent plant and he has it planted out in full sun and its just shot off!!! It has also started to pup out like crazy ! amazing plant everyone should get one!

Positive biskutmkr On Jul 21, 2007, biskutmkr from Crystal River, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

I purchased this plant at one of the local nurseries. I thought it was a plant that would be uncommon in this area. But, I found dozens, if not hundreds, of them growing at an arboretum in Gainesville. I divided it, gave one away, one died and I have three in pots. The largest is putting out another stalk and grows at least two inches a day. One of them has developed a 'lumpy' stalk while the other two are still smooth. The foliage is beautiful. I can't wait to see if any of them bloom as the information I got for this particular species says the odor of the bloom is like carrots. Hope it's not rotten carrots. No matter what the smell may be, I'm sure the bloom will be beautiful and unusual.

Positive tina34 On Dec 5, 2006, tina34 from Deniliquin N.S.W.
Australia wrote:

I was given this bulb by my brother-in-law who gave me the wrong name for it but after a lot of searching i have finally figured out what it really is. I have had this bulb for roughly 4-5 years and it just gets bigger every year it grows in a pot on my front verandah so gets filtered light most of the day and direct light in the late afternoon. This is the first year it has flowered and what a shock when i walked out the door and smelt it "phew" im glad it only lasted 2 days. It is a very beautiful plant, when it is dormate i do not seperate or dig up the bulb i just leave it be til it grows again next year. I am living in Australia on the New South Wales, Victoria border where or temperatures while it is growing range from 25c to 40c so it has no problem with the heat.

Positive jimbu On Aug 4, 2005, jimbu from Manteca, CA wrote:

I now have three voodoo plants growing here in the central valley of calif. I purchased the first one five years ago, it now grows over four foot tall and the bloom is almost three feet long. I never dig the bulb for winter storage. This is the first year I have let them go to seed. The seed stalk on the large one was huge, eight inches in diameter and almost eight inches long and must contain over two hundred seeds.

Positive nancyanne On Apr 5, 2004, nancyanne from Lafayette, LA (Zone 9a) wrote:

The flowers are arresting (if revoltingly malodorous), but the foliage is quite lovely as well. A large, palmate leaf atop a long stem. Beautiful, glossy green. Sometimes only one leaf per bulbil, sometimes several. This is one of the last bulbs to leaf out in spring here in zone 9a. They are cold hardy here, and I dig around and remove the 'pups' every few years. Maybe not for everyone - our puppy rolled all over the flower last spring - too stinky to resist, I guess.
As the bulb grows, the foliage and flower grows as well, so a large old bulb can produce a 2' flower followed by a 3' stalk of foliage.

Positive MrVooDoo On May 2, 2002, MrVooDoo wrote:

I inherited the bulbs of what I believe to be a VooDoo lily from my Grandfather. (Actually I went to his house and dug them up after he passed away.) Grandpa called it a lily of the nile, but I believe it to be a VooDoo Lily. Depending on the condition of the bulbs, the flowers can be as large as 18" in length. The pistil and shrouding flower (calla-lily-like) are a deep velvety purple and they smell like long dead road kill on a hot day. The flowers are quite striking but they stink. Don't plant too close to a door or window. These bulbs have survived outdoors through the worst winters I've seen in the Pacific Northwest. Grandpa had this plant when I was a small child and I'm now 50 years old. In the intervening years there have been large snowfalls and long hard freezes. They're not common here, but they happen occasionally. I would rank their hardiness well above begonias and probably closer to dahlias or glads. After the flowers die back, the plant develops orange-colored berries on the stalk. I never tried to eat them but owing to the smell of the bloom, I wouldn't recommend it. We just moved to Astoria Oregon from Seattle Washington so I'll upload a picture next year after I've nursed it back to health with cow manure. The bulbs are shaped somewhat like Jicama and can get very large. As the bulbs increase in size so do the flowers. They don't seem to like direct sunlight. They like manure and lots of rain so they grow well here. In this environment, they start growing in late March, bloom in June, and fruit and leaf in July. They die back in August/September depending on the temperature. If you don't mind a plant that's pollinated by flies, I recommend it as a striking addition to any garden. I get lots of comments. The plant means so much to me because it was so precious to Grandpa and it makes me think of him everytime I see it. It brings back many happy memories.

Neutral mrtoad On Jun 23, 2001, mrtoad from Denver, CO (Zone 5b) wrote:

Apparently Asian in origin this bizarre plant may be dormant for years before it blooms. During the winter it can be kept indoors anyplace the temperature doesn't get too low, like a basement. In early spring mature plants will grow a bloom apparently even if they have no soil or water. It reaches heights averaging 4-5 feet but recorded as high as 8 feet. The bloom smells of rotten meat and attracts flies which pollinate it after which the flower will die back and is followed by leaves. Bulbs grow in size each year, and eventually little warts will form between leaf axils and grow into new bulbs.

Vincent, Alabama
Tampa, Florida
Kenner, Louisiana
Lafayette, Louisiana
Mermentau, Louisiana
New Orleans, Louisiana (2 reports)
Warren, Michigan