PlantFiles: Old Garden Rose
Rosa 'Maggie'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Maggie
Additional cultivar information: (aka Mme Eugne Marlitt, Eugene E. Marlitt)
Hybridized by Geschwindt; Year of Registration or Introduction: 1900

Habit:
Shrub

Other Details:

Pruning Instructions:
Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth
Avoid pruning

Thumbnail #6 of Rosa  by MiniPonyFarmer

By MiniPonyFarmer
Thumbnail #7 of Rosa  by MiniPonyFarmer

Positive tearoses On Mar 7, 2013, tearoses from Denham Springs, LA wrote:

This is one of two roses that began an obsession with me almost 20 years ago. After attending a seminar on antique roses at LSU several people referred me to a local nursery to purchase a particular 'own root rose'. I'd never attempted roses nor heard of a own root rose. Several said since I was a newbie to roses to start with Cramoisi Superior, an easy china rose. I went to the nursery and there they had a Cramoisi as well as a Maggie, both in full bloom. OMG. The fragrances of the 2 were intoxicating and the blooms beautiful. Bought them both, brought them home, and it all snowballed from there. Love, love, love roses. Is it possible to stop collecting them? lol 150 or so roses now, all types, all colors, all scents. And it all started with little girl name 'Maggie'

Positive lrwells50 On Aug 1, 2008, lrwells50 from (Lynn) Paris, TX (Zone 7b) wrote:

I cut Maggie back every year to 2' - 3', but it's currently around 6', and covered with hundreds of buds and blooms. Beautiful color and bourbon fragrance.

Positive stephanotis On Apr 2, 2008, stephanotis from Queen Creek, AZ (Zone 8b) wrote:

I bought 2 of these roses, put one in the ground and one is in the pot ghetto. The blooms are beautiful, cabbage like, quartered, and super fragrant. The only issue I have with this rose is that it doesn't seem to want to grow upwards. It seems to want to spread outwards by means of its lowest canes. Those seem to be the only canes that want to bloom too, so I have a problem with pruning them out to try and encourage more growth on the upper branches. Maggie is a fairly prolific repeat bloomer, and I haven't had any problwms with blackspot or mildew on the plant in the ground, but the one in the pot has mildew right now. The one in the ground repeat bloomed in flushes all last summer, even in the 100+ degree heat here in AZ. The color has been a very consistent fuchsia, and doesn't seem to bleach out. Hopefully the potted one will perform as well as her sister when she gets in the ground.

Positive Starlet On Jul 1, 2005, Starlet from Spring, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

This rose is amazing here. I got it last fall as a 2 gal plant and all but neglected it in the 'pot ghetto' over the winter. I put her in the ground this spring and in spite of temps in the high 90F range, she has nearly covered her 7ft tall tripod. Her fragrance is beautiful and she is seldom without blooms, even in the heat. Very little damage from pests and disease in a year that has been very conducive to both.
An all-around great rose.

Positive Elphaba On Apr 4, 2005, Elphaba from Rockport, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I planted Maggie last year and it grew 8 feet in one year. I cut it back to about 3 feet and it grew bushy and beautiful with hundreds of buds. Unfortunately, I ignored my roses this spring, so I'm now having a problem with powdery mildew. I had to cut off about 50 buds from Maggie that had mildew. There are still hundreds of buds on the plant. I uploaded some pictures from last year. I think it will be prettier this year even with the mildew problem. Please note that I live in a subtropical area where the nights are warm (roses hate warm nights) and it's almost always humid, so roses are at greater risk for mildew than they are in other parts of the country. The fact that it grows here at all says a lot for this rose.

Calera, Alabama