PlantFiles: Bourbon Rose
Rosa 'Madame Isaac Pereire'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Madame Isaac Pereire
Additional cultivar information: (aka La Bienheureux de la Salle, Mme Isaac Pereire)
Hybridized by Garcon; Year of Registration or Introduction: 1881

Shrub

Other Details:
Resistant to mildew

Pruning Instructions:
Blooms on old wood; prune after flowering
Avoid pruning

Thumbnail #6 of Rosa  by chicochi3

By ctindell
Thumbnail #7 of Rosa  by ctindell

Positive nmbirder On Apr 15, 2013, nmbirder from Albuquerque, NM wrote:

I have had my plant since the 1980's. It was one of the first roses I ever planted in my yard. Over the years it has become monstrous, requiring drastic pruning back the long canes that attack faces and hats, but it still bounces back. We have to support our bush with a steel cable. Two winters ago we had a horrible February freeze & I thought it had died. It took a long time to remove all the dead branches and canes and do some severe pruning, but it came back in better shape than ever. It really only blooms once in mid-May, with an occasional repeat in summer (after a monsoon shower, for instance). I can't wait for the roses to form each spring-so sweet smelling, and really, how could anyone resist the raspberry pink color? The stems and canes have very sharp thorns and it takes a real effort to maintain this plant, but to me it's worth it for the showy blooms in my yard. It's not a good cutting rose as the stems are short and the petals drop fast once off the plant.
To me, this variety is the essence of rose scent and color.

Neutral ctindell On Jun 13, 2006, ctindell from Sterling, VA (Zone 6b) wrote:

I received my rose from Heirloom 1 month ago. It seems very healthy. I'm pretty sure a bunny ate some of it but hasn't touched it since. It is growing a lot slower than the other rose I received from heirloom which has already bloomed. I will be patient and give this rose a lot of time because of the fragrance and beauty i expect of this rose. I also heard you can peg this rose. It is aprox.8 inches high but very healthy.

Positive hortensia On Jun 11, 2006, hortensia from Langley, BC, BC (Zone 8b) wrote:

A classic Bourbon of the period of breeding approaching hybrid Perpetuals. Larger and more unashamedly vulgar than the earlier Reine Victoria and its sports, this is a huge plant with huge vivid flowers and a huge fragrance.

Like many Bourbons, it gets blackspot in some areas, and mildew where there is poor air drainage, but in the right place it is hard to beat. GST says "good deep soil" and the plant in the attached pictures has that, and is in a warm position where the soil nonetheless seldom gets bone dry. It is the best plant of Mme Isaac I have ever grown.

Positive pburch On Jan 25, 2004, pburch from Houston, TX wrote:

Except during its remarkable spring flush of blooms, this is not our most attractive bush. Here in Houston, it needs to be treated for black spot, and we have not yet done so. However, the few blooms that appear throughout the year have the most amazing and long-lasting pure rose scent of any rose I have ever known. A single blossom in a glass strongly perfumed my bedside for almost a week, in January. In the springtime, the bush is so marvelously covered with gorgeous perfectly formed old-fashioned blooms that passers-by frequently stop to marvel at it. Although this is an antique rose, we find it best to prune it drastically (the traditional date for this in Houston is Valentine's day), as if it were a modern hybrid tea, as other wise its six- to eight-foot canes are too unwieldy for our location.

Positive haleygem On Jun 18, 2003, haleygem from Saugus, MA wrote:

This rose is very hardy and a rebloomer. I planted it bareroot last year and this year it is full of buds and around 2.5-3' tall. I did prune it back some last year as well. Flowers have at least 50 petals and a light fragrant. Color is bursting.

Fayetteville, Arkansas