Tea Rose
Rosa 'Duchesse de Brabant'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Duchesse de Brabant
Additional cultivar information:(aka Comtesse de Labarathe, Comtesse de Labarthe, Countess Bertha, Shell Rose)
Hybridized by Bernde

Resistant to black spot

Resistant to rust

Susceptible to mildew

Pruning Instructions:

Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

Thibodaux, Louisiana

Charleston, South Carolina

North Augusta, South Carolina

Bellaire, Texas

Dallas, Texas (2 reports)

Desoto, Texas

Rowlett, Texas

Victoria, Texas

Vancouver, Washington

On Apr 6, 2015, LeslieT from Bellaire, TX wrote:

I've had this rose for 20 years and still love it. Mine does get a little black spot now and then, but drops those leaves and puts on fresh ones. Having to do this hasn't discouraged it at all.

On Aug 14, 2012, shopshops from Joshua, TX wrote:

Bought this one as a baby plant in my rose buying trip to Tyler Texas this Spring (2012). She is about one foot tall now in August. I have had a few flushes of tiny pink blooms. I had to go on my knees to sniff them, but they are so gorgeous! I love pink roses and this one is a beautiful light pink. Because she has been designated as Earthkind,( which is Texas speak for OUR WEATHER WILL NOT KILL THIS)! I planted her in a southern location. She gets blasted almost all of the day as she is on a slope and yet she grows. Love the fragrance, love the blooms. Because she gets to 6' or more in height and width in Texas I gave her a corner all by herself surrounded by pink velour and centennial spirit crape myrtles. Will re-post when she is older.

On Nov 9, 2010, dontruman from Victoria, TX wrote:

Beautiful, unusual cabbage shaped pink blossoms on a well leafed shrub that is as wide at it is tall. Performs well with minimum care and excellently when given the attention one usually gives a hybrid rose. Possibly my favorite antique rose. The flowers smell like sweet tea leaves. Designated as an "Earth-Kind" rose by the Texas AgriLife Extension Service of the Texas A&M University System. Per their description:

"Earth-Kind roses do well in a variety of soil types, ranging from well-drained acid sands to poorly aerated, highly alkaline clays. Once established, these select cultivars also have excellent heat and drought tolerance. The use of Earth-Kind roses provides the opportunity to enjoy these wonderful flowering plants while limiting the use of fertilizers, pesti... read more

On Apr 4, 2010, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

The 3 features that stand out on my Duchess are 1) strong fragrance 2) disease resistance 3) fast growth. Mine is in full sun and a constant bloomer.

Tolerates shade.

On Nov 29, 2009, Nasturtium28 from Sacramento, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I posted a picture of my first year plant taken this morning, November 29. I think this is a charming rose. I love the pinkish red of the new stems. She has a nice bushy form and is filling out well. Now that she has a little size to her she has buds and flowers all the time. The blooms nod gracefully, smell wonderful, and hold their shape well in maturity.

On Mar 1, 2009, billy13 from Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Blooms are very full, like cabbages. Beautiful color. They sometimes droop because weight is heavy on stems.

On May 29, 2006, jamie68 from Vancouver, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

What a lovely rose! Fragrant, soft pink blossoms adorn it for much of the growing season, foliage seems impervious to disease, and the overall shape of the plant is a nice, full, compact shrub....I wouldn't want to be without this one!!

On Apr 12, 2005, collierose from Little Rock, AR (Zone 8a) wrote:

This was one of my first roses, recommended by my sister. A great OGR and usually considered easy to grow. I love the fragrance but my husband can hardly smell it at all. It grows well here in the heat of Arkansas as well in my sister's garden in Austin, Tx. Seems to be pretty disease resistant.

On Apr 4, 2005, Elphaba from Rockport, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

This rose is very beautiful, delicate, cup-shaped, and full. However, I planted it because I read that it releases a wonderful fragrance even on humid days. At first, I couldn't smell anything from the flowers. I've read notes online that some people think it has the most wonderful fragrance and others can't smell it at all even when both people are smelling the same flower. I can pick up a little bit of the fragrance now, but I think it stinks. The flowers are just lovely and it blooms a lot, but its sweet fragrance eludes me.