PlantFiles: Hybrid China Rose
Rosa 'Cecile Brunner, Cl.'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Cecile Brunner, Cl.
Additional cultivar information: (aka Ccile Brnner, Cl. Fiteni's Rose, Climbing Mignon, Sweetheart Rose, Buttonhole Rose)
Hybridized by Hosp.; Year of Registration or Introduction: 1894

Resistant to mildew
Resistant to rust
Stems are nearly thornless

Pruning Instructions:
Blooms on old wood; prune after flowering

From hardwood cuttings

Thumbnail #4 of Rosa  by berrygirl

Thumbnail #5 of Rosa  by berrygirl

Thumbnail #6 of Rosa  by berrygirl

Thumbnail #7 of Rosa  by berrygirl

Positive anniedelcarpio On Apr 28, 2009, anniedelcarpio from Lafayette, LA wrote:

I have recently--within the last four months--taken this rose from my grandmother's home in New Orleans where it had previously been growing for approx. 50 years. Within days it had already put out new leaves and now is completely covered with blooms! I cut it back severely to transplant it--to about two feet tall--and it has grown at least twice that size. I can't wait to see what it does after a little more time!

Positive MikeyJay On May 25, 2008, MikeyJay from Laguna Niguel, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

I've had the Cecile Brunner climbing rose for about two years. I'm training two plants up onto my patio cover. So far so good. One plant (more shaded) is about 8-feet tall, the other (with more sun) is about 10 feet. Not many blooms yet but still enough to make the plants enjoyable and the blooms are very attractive. In a couple of years, I think these vines will look fantastic.

Brown snails seem to love to chew on the leaves here is coastal Orange county; the snails almost ate the leaves entirely off the plants the first year. This year I have done something to control the snails and the plants are doing just fine.

Negative P_G On Feb 9, 2008, P_G from Greenbrae, CA wrote:

I have had this plant for three years. It has grown nicely but no flowers except for a few the first year. It gets sun and water. I feed it. I've pruned it lightly. Nursery where I bought it tells me to give it time. I thought it would be a profuse bloomer.

Positive berrygirl On May 1, 2006, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

I have only had this rose for 2 yrs, so it is still relatively small. I love the many tiny, light pink blooms that smell so sweet. I cannot wait 'til this rose gets bigger in the seasons to come as I have heard the display is a sight to see.
This rose is very care-free and is [so far] resistant to black-spot.

Positive bentleygardens On Apr 21, 2006, bentleygardens from Locust Grove, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Mine is now almost 55 feet up a tulip polar tree, in full bloom with a couple thousand blooms

Positive girlndocs On Mar 2, 2006, girlndocs from Tacoma, WA wrote:

This is a sweet, charming, very hardy rose. Mine is in partial shade but produces plenty of those beautiful little flowers every year. It is usually the first to bloom, in late April. The scent is a delicious mild tea-rose perfume. Not very thorny, although the long willowy canes make what thorns there are a real, grabby hazard!

It does grow vigorously. I chop mine back to keep it in its corner, and train the 10-15' canes into arches out of the pathway by tying them to the fence. It is 3 years old and reaches about 8' tall now, and if I would let it grow without cutting it would be 15' across or more. I think it would be stunning allowed to grow up into a pine tree or over a small building. It has not been demanding as far as water.

Looks great interplanted with Clematis "Proteus" or other purple varieties.

Positive nevadagdn On Apr 26, 2005, nevadagdn from Sparks, NV (Zone 7a) wrote:

I grow Climbing Cecile Brunner because my grandmother grew it. In Nevada, it stays mannerly and pretty much within bounds. In Sacramento, California, where my grandmother grew it, it tried to eat her roof, the pergola, and the neighbor's fence every year. When she asked a local rosarian how to control it, the rosarian calmly replied: "With an axe, dear."

Positive clint488 On Nov 2, 2003, clint488 wrote:

This is a very fragrant sweet rose. Mine was about 12 ft tall and a 20 ft spread. Just whack away to prune. It is harty and blooms about 8 months stating early in spring. It has thousands of one inch blooms. Makes a nice screen or trains to a large trellis.

Vincent, Alabama