Wild Mock Orange, Lewis Mockorange

Philadelphus lewisii

Family: Hydrangeaceae (hy-drain-jee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Philadelphus (fil-uh-DEL-fuss) (Info)
Species: lewisii (lew-ISS-ee-eye) (Info)

From hardwood cuttings

Newark, Ohio

Hulbert, Oklahoma

Jay, Oklahoma

Klamath Falls, Oregon

Portland, Oregon (2 reports)

Salem, Oregon

Grand Mound, Washington

Ridgefield, Washington

Spokane, Washington

On May 23, 2014, Lagunacruz from Laguna Beach, CA wrote:

In Laguna Beach Ca. grows best is filtered shade /morning sun 4 me. I used some of my cut branches as a small "fence" around another planting, & they all took root! So very easy to propagate, a novice can do it. Have one in full sun intertwined with feather bamboo and roses, just beautiful! By placing them at different "light locations" you can keep the amazing fragrance blooming much longer May - June ,2012 even July , (if I remember correctly.) Likes moisture. Love love this graceful beauty!

On Feb 19, 2014, femluc from Elizabethton, TN (Zone 6b) wrote:

This shrub has an amazing scent that fills the yard and is relatively easy to handle. I had two at one time and the original one grew to be about 9-10 feet tall, while the second one I planted not far away never made it past 4 feet tall. I live in Northeast Tennessee with hot but mild summers.

On Apr 28, 2012, predler from Missoula, MT wrote:

I noticed you did not have Philadelphus lewisii listed as growing in Montana. It is a native plant here, although I bought the cultivar "Blizzard" two years ago from Tizer Gardens in Jefferson City, MT. The Gardens are located in a very short growing zone, so we figured anything that would grow there would grow anywhere. I planted it in my northern garden a few feet from my apple tree and then mostly ignored it. It bloomed the second year I bought it, and filled the yard with such a beautiful fragrance that I am going to buy a second one this year. It isn't very tall, but is drought tolerant and very hardy.

On Jan 7, 2008, rosspond from Barnet, VT wrote:

Our mock organge was planted over 100 years ago. Partial sun. Had trouble with die back from some insect laying eggs in stems. Had earlier taken roots from it for a new plant which is doing well now. Great smell. Destroyed the old plant.

On Jun 30, 2005, Freasabrez from Toledo, OH (Zone 6b) wrote:

I moved into my home two yrs. ago and accquired a mock orange in my back yard. It grows so fast! It has bloomed every year so far. I trimmed it back after it bloomed last year. I am waiting for it to bloom so far this year then I will trim it down again. It is Huge! Like maybe 10' tall and just as wide.

I would like to know how to take cuttings and start another one. Anyone know what I should do?

On Apr 23, 2005, shortstack from Monroe, LA wrote:

I grew up in South Mississippi where we had a Mock Orange that was a deep green with extra large thorns and bore a small "mock" orange fruit. Now that I live in northeast Louisiana I have another variety of mock orange that produces white flowers; blooming at this time, in fact. What is the South Mississippi thingy that we we grew up with?

On Jun 30, 2003, BobCrystal from Rochester, NY wrote:

There are several varieties of this bush. I have three. The regular one, which needs to be thinned every year after blooming to remove the dead wood and to get it back into shape, one with miniature flowers, the size of a man's fingernail, and a mini-multi, which has almost trumpet like double flowers, which grow in clusters. The two variations are not as strong smelling and need less pruning.

On Jun 29, 2003, Magazinewriter from Bloomfield Hills, MI wrote:

I have two mock orange (Philadelphus lewisii) here near Detroit, Michigan, and they are my favorite flowering plants. They are blooming now (late June) and the scent permeates my entire yard. I've had them about 15 years.

I like these so much that, about 10 years ago, I bought two more which I planted right next to the first two. The newer ones never bloomed. Since then, I've pruned them back and moved them twice. Also fertilized. No luck. All I get is leaves.

Meanwhile, the first two are blooming profusely.

On Jun 30, 2002, countrygirl wrote:

I have had a Mock Orange in my front yard for 20 years. I prune it ever two years. I can count on it blooming near July 1st each year. I live in Nova Scotia, Canada. I love the perfumy blossoms.

On Jun 29, 2002, rsbarros wrote:

When this plant blooms, the blossoms and fragrance are wonderful and it is thus a favorite plant, though poor pruning has made our oldest one very woody and sparse (and over 10' tall). Perhaps because there are others nearby, our plant is fertile and new sprouts often appear elsewhere on our property. They grow quickly with water and full sun and will bloom in two years.