Centifolia, Damask Rose 'Madame Hardy'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Madame Hardy
Additional cultivar information:(aka Flicit Hardy)
Hybridized by Hardy

Resistant to mildew

Resistant to rust

Sets hips

Pruning Instructions:

Blooms on old wood; prune after flowering

From hardwood cuttings

Linden, Virginia

Richmond, Virginia

Chelan, Washington

On Mar 22, 2015, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

This is one of the most popular of old roses, and deservedly so. It is more popular in Europe than in the US, except among lovers of old roses. The prolific June flush can last up to six weeks, but with no repeat.

Valued for its elegant 3" flowers, relatively compact size and superb fragrance. A good substitute for Mme Plantier where room is limited.

Very disease resistant, though some in the east find its foliage is disfigured by blackspot after flowering. Very low maintenance.

This is a shrub and not a bush.

On Jul 21, 2010, abbirder from Edmonton

I planted a Madame Hardy in 2004 where I live just outside of Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. We are in Zone 3 (USDA Zone 4) and it has survived every winter since. It's only drawback is the fact that it does not rebloom, but I would highly recommend it for its intense fragrance.

On Jun 22, 2009, bbinny from Massena, NY wrote:

Surprisingly charming. I planted this because gardeners I admired such as Tasha Tudor planted it. I had never seen the rose other than in a picture. It's sooo charming. I purchased it from Heirloom Roses and I'm very happy with it. Photos can't capture the lovely shape of the bloom and wonderful scent.

On Sep 24, 2007, DonnaMack from Elgin, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

Exquisite in my zone! I purchased mine from Sam Kadeem. On the north side of my garden this wonderful rose was in bloom for some six weeks. I allowed the stems, which at year three are over six feet tall, to bend and it increased the flower power while giving it a lovely shape. The buds are covered with beautifully formed sepals. The foliage is extremely resistent to blackspot and mildew. It requires a minimum of care. The scent is wonderful. I would recommend putting it in at least partial shade to bring out the splendid visual effect of its white flowers. This is the rose that changed my mind aboiut once bloomers. Thorniness I would describe as moderate. Recommended without reservation.

On Jun 10, 2006, TBGDN from (Zone 5a) wrote:

This is another antique rose I've added to the garden over the years. And like so many others in this class it only blooms once, usually in late May or early June. It is nicely fragrant, and on calm days the aroma from the flowers can be noticed in the surrounding garden. It's blooms are pure white with a small green center. As the flowers age there is a blush of pink which can be seen in the petals. It is a very robust, hardy shrub with very little care, except for removal of dead wood and regular fertilizing.