English Rose, Austin Rose
Rosa 'Benjamin Britten'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Benjamin Britten
Additional cultivar information:(aka AUSencart)
Hybridized by Austin
Registered or introduced: 1992

Class:

English Rose (aka Austin Rose)

Shrub

Resistant to black spot

Resistant to mildew

Stems are moderately thorny

Pruning Instructions:

Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

Sterling, Virginia

Winchester, Virginia

On Oct 31, 2014, karemo from Melbourne
Australia wrote:

Performs very well in the Melbourne, AU climate (Zone 9b).
Gets bigger than DA's description - about H 2m (6'6")x W 1.5m (5'). Loves the heat in Summer (up to around 45C/115F) and flowers prolifically.

The only negative is the thorns... soooo many of them! Requires gauntlets to prune :-)

On Jul 20, 2014, lancer23 from San Francisco, CA wrote:

Its neutral rating because I don't grow this rose but saw it at a public garden. Its rather healthy for a DA rose. It has a very vivid almost neon raspberry color which is very attractive to me. Unusual color that is not found in most roses, I didn't see a lot of blooms but then I don't know how much care it gets in the park.

On Mar 21, 2013, InsaniD from Columbia, MO wrote:

This rose is a vigorous grower for us, but the color? Just a really deep hot pink - nothing special at all and NOTHING like the obviously color-altered image that DA uses on their site. And as noted by another reviewer, it is covered in gnarly thorns and is sort of unfriendly. And gets bigger than DA said. Would I buy this one again? Probably not - there are better hot pink roses...

@Joann - you may want to look at some pictures of rose rosette disease. At least 2 DA roses I've ordered (from the US branch in TX) or over the last 3 years had RRD from the get go and had to be destroyed. Other roses had other issues like canker. 'BB' should have "normal" sized thorns and while it is a bit thorny, it shouldn't be "covered" in them. SO I think something is going on with ... read more

On Feb 7, 2013, JoannCooper from Bluffton, SC (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have had excellent success with many Austin Roses, but this is not one of my favorites. The flowers are small and a cherry red color regardless of weather. There is no orange tint as shown in the catalog. I had hoped that cooler fall weather would bring the orange coloring, but not so. I detect on a very slight fragance on my rose.

This is a very strong growing rose for me in Z 8b (South Carolina), in fact it's so wild and wooly I nicknamed it Audry II. It throws out very long, unruly canes COVERED in thorns of all shapes and sizes. It is a bear to handle, consequently I moved it to a remote spot in the garden where it can do it's thing without injury to us or our guests.

One note: Austin recommends this variety for large pots and planters. I gr... read more

On Jun 25, 2011, valliebeth17 from Crown Point, NY (Zone 4b) wrote:

This is one of my favorite roses. Here in zone 4 the winters kill it back to the ground each year, but it grows back to a full beautiful bush covered with gorgeous, full deep pink flowers with a tinge of coral. And the scent! Roses and raspberries, absolutely heavenly.

On Aug 1, 2010, delil72 from Monmouth Beach, NJ wrote:

I don't know if I have a more hardy, robust rose in my garden. It never gets blackspot and grows by leaps and bounds every year and blooms heavily from early summer through fall - blooms are not as heavily old-rose scented as some austins but they definitely have a moderately strong nice, light, fruity type of rose scent. They are a real bright cerise pink/red magenta type of color...

On Jul 4, 2010, Clary from Lewisburg, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

The flowers are round and the plant has a shrubby form. Firm canes holds themselves upright without support. The flowers smell very "cherry" and are cherry in color as well.

The flowers are rather tender and don't take extreme heat - they wilt before opening - but the plant hasn't shown any distress as long as it's well-watered.

On Dec 2, 2009, baiissatva from Dunedin
New Zealand wrote:

Very pretty bicoloured peony type flower in my garden, with a fresh medium strength fruity fragrance.
It's only drawback for me is it's curious habit of losing the vivid pink colouration about an hour after it's picked, loss of water from the petals I suppose but it's a strange phenomenon that I also see in 'Kronenbourg' roses.

Hardy, doesn't mind a little shade, quick to establish.

On Nov 14, 2008, Joan from Belfield, ND (Zone 4a) wrote:

According to David Austin's 2009 Handbook of Roses, they named this rose in commemoration of the life and work of the famous English composer, conductor and performer.