English Rose, Austin Rose 'Brother Cadfael'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Brother Cadfael
Additional cultivar information:(PP8681, aka AUSglobe)
Hybridized by Austin
Registered or introduced: 1990

English Rose (aka Austin Rose)

Medium pink (mp)

Bloom Shape:

Flower Fragrance:

Very Fragrant

Patent expired

Other Details:

Susceptible to mildew

Pruning Instructions:

Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

Beacon, New York

Tunkhannock, Pennsylvania

Vashon, Washington

On Jun 8, 2014, Tanacitafolia from San Mateo, CA wrote:

I purchased this rose solely for the name for my mother in Sacramento, California where it lives happily. I pruned it for her and stuck three branches in the ground here in San Mateo (zone 17.) They all grew.

It blooms beautifully in the spring. It is about six feet tall. The scent is heavenly. It does ball in the early summer when we have our high fogs that burn off about 11 am, but later in the year the blooms open fully again. No problems with disease. It would probably be even happier if I watered it more.

On Oct 15, 2012, davebert from Durham, NC wrote:

Brother Cadfael is a rewarding rose with exquisite flowers - when they don't ball. My three plants attempt to bloom every spring with great abundance, but mostly end with the flowers balling. I experience no repeat bloom despite attempts to prune heavily or train the long canes horizontally. The plants produce very long, upright stiff canes. Disease resistance is good here in central North Carolina.

On Oct 31, 2009, Connifirst from Vashon
United States wrote:

Approximately ten years ago I purchased 3 bareroot plants of the wonderful Brother Cadfael Rose from a mail-order plant company. I love English roses and took a chance on the fragrance. They are in a deer-proof enclosure in my front garden and their glorious fragrance pervades every corner of my yard. BC are prolific bloomers, four times a season and seem to arch ever upward. I have not tried to train them to a trellis as climbers but can see how they would do well. I have had no luck with propagating with cuttings, but will keep trying. I'm very happy with these roses and my neighbors comment admiringly every long growing season.

On Nov 14, 2008, Joan from Belfield, ND (Zone 4a) wrote:

According to David Austin's 2009 Handbook of Roses, they named this rose after the hero of Ellis Peters' detective stories.

On Oct 31, 2006, meacatmom from mississauga

This is growing in my garden in Mississauga, Ontario. (Zone 5) At the moment I have the 4th set of buds on it this year. Lovely and easy to grow. Collar and fill with mulch each fall and it's happily in it's 4th year.

This was purchased in memory of my trip to Shrewsbury, England, home of the fictional Brother Cadfael. Every year, I look at the lovely flowers and rememeber the equally lovely countryside and the rose gardens I saw in Shrewsbury