English Rose, Austin Rose 'Golden Celebration'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Golden Celebration
Additional cultivar information:(PP8688, aka AUSgold)
Hybridized by Austin
Registered or introduced: 1992

English Rose (aka Austin Rose)

Deep yellow (dy)

Other Details:

Resistant to black spot

Resistant to mildew

Pruning Instructions:

Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

Paris, Texas

Charlottesville, Virginia

Snohomish, Washington

On Dec 31, 2013, Tarragon from Beverly, MA (Zone 6a) wrote:

Planted this rose in 2010. It bloomed well but leaves were a mess with black spot, etc. Late-autumn, 2012, I dug it up and tossed it out because I felt it was too much maintenance for me.

I replaced this David Austin rose with two other English roses: 'Queen Nefertiti' and 'Pat Austin' - both gorgeous apricot coloring and less maintenance than 'Golden Celebration'.

I mail order my roses from High Country Roses (Denver, CO)
This company is a terrific source, having a large variety of roses.

On Nov 16, 2011, strawberryhill from 5a, IL wrote:

Agree with Springlover from the last post regarding Golden Celebration's excellent performance. I mulched with horse manure and dusted with corn meal with zero blackspots as the result. It tolerates my alkaline soil at 7.7, but likes plenty of water.

On Aug 8, 2008, WMorgan from Medford, NJ wrote:

3 plants grew from 1 foot to 5 -6 feet tall in 3 months in their new home. Only a few buds so far, but I think next year will pay off.

Edit, May 2010: Plants are now two years old and full of blooms. Nice big flowers, but it does get blackspot at times. Last years very rainy seasons made it hard to keep up. I have not pruned and some limbs go over a 5 foot trellis and touch the ground. Still, I bought more for 3 plants on each side flanking two Heritage in the middle.

On May 19, 2006, boneyween from Shawnee Mission, KS wrote:

If you're interested in trying an English Rose and like yellow roses, I highly recommend Golden Celebration, even more than the commonly-recommended Graham Thomas. GC blooms in clusters, like most English Roses, but the blooms are larger than most. My favorite thing about GC, however, is the scent. The blooms have a wonderfully strong, sweet, fruity fragrance that you are sure to love.

On Jul 5, 2004, punaheledp from Kailua, HI (Zone 11) wrote:

just recently planted my bare root and it's budding leaves. Will see how it does here in zone 11.

9/24/04 - very pleased with all 3 Austin roses (from J&P) I planted. This one is a pretty warm gold in color and mine have had from 90-160 petals. Have noticed bugs seem to prefer English rose leaves over the floribundas and other shrub roses... I get little fragrance, which may be due to climate or garden conditions.

On May 8, 2004, springlover from Franklin, MI (Zone 6a) wrote:

I purchased this rose cheap, as it was in pretty bad shape at the time. It went in the "rose hospital" under quarentine, and I really forgot about it for a season!
Last year (2003), it grew to 8 feet, had geeee-or-jus blooms/scent!
This year I pegged it to a trellis about 6 feet away to expand the coverage and stimulate vertical growth along the canes.
Winter kill was minimal but did mound prime horse manure at the base and tied the canes together for winter protection.
Our Michigan winters have been long and hard for the past 2 years, and this plant has out-done all my other English roses except for St. Swithin!