English Rose, Austin Rose 'L. D. Braithwaite'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rosa (RO-zuh) (Info)
Cultivar: L. D. Braithwaite
Additional cultivar information:(PP8154, aka AUScrim, Braithwaite, Leonard Dudley Braithwaite)
Hybridized by Austin
Registered or introduced: 1988

English Rose (aka Austin Rose)

Dark red (dr)

Bloom Shape:

Flower Fragrance:

Very Fragrant

Patent expired

Other Details:

Pruning Instructions:

Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth

From hardwood cuttings

Maryville, Tennessee

Paris, Texas

Bryn Mawr-skyway, Washington

On May 24, 2013, paddyree from Seattle, WA wrote:

This is a gorgeous rose toward the back of the border, and I plan to get another to put in a pot on my patio. One thing I learned the past few years: don't be afraid to prune it 1.5 feet from the ground in the early Spring. It's coming back full & with many strong branches since I did that this year (rose fertilizer too). The nursery man said they like to be tall, & prune tall. But when I do that I get spindly less vigorous growth, so am glad I tried the opposite. Hard to locate but not impossible. Does well in Seattle area.

On Feb 19, 2012, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

A very double, very rich red.

On Apr 21, 2008, CCPikie from Elmhurst, IL wrote:

I've had L.D. Braitwaite in a small rose border for a few years. Not a bad rose. In comparison to it's parent Mary Rose it isn't as vigorous or as hardy. The canes die back to the winter mulch in my garden. Mary Rose is also much more fragrant. If Braithwaite is better in any way it holds it's blooms more upright.

On Mar 17, 2007, cripplecreek from Greeley, CO wrote:

We have had a very severe winter with several below zero days in northern Colorado and a major blizzard in December which left this area buried in snow for several weeks. My two L. D. Braithwaite rose bushes were left unprotected during this time. A few days ago, I went to examine the roses in my yard, I found that both these plants not only survived but are very green with budding on the canes where new leaves will soon emerge as it gets warmer this spring. I was thouroughly impressed! Cripplecreek of Colorado

On Aug 21, 2004, Paulwhwest from Irving (Dallas area), TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Bred in England. Won the Award of Garden Merit in 2001, the Modern Shrub Rose award fourteen times from 1999-2001, and the Shrub award three times in 1999 and 2000.

Seed: Mary Rose
Pollen: The Squire

On Sep 13, 2003, Happenstance from Northern California, CA wrote:

Beautiful large David Austin Rose, prolific bloomer, can take a good deal of shade easily in 10a. Named for David Austin's father-in-law, Leonard Dudley Braithwaite.

Tends to have a purple-magenta caste, not a true red.